Sign in to follow this  
Tom.

K181 flywheels

Tom.

Hi all,

I was hoping someone could help me with something I was pondering upon. My questions is could I put a flywheel from a K181 which has the belt starter motor on it onto a K181 which is started by an electric starter(the ones with the teeth) so then my K181 that had an electric starter motor on it now has a belt starter motor on it. I hope that makes sense!! Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

ipperwash

Hi I did by taking the starter ring gear of the fly wheel came of with a couple of tapes with a hammer

Tom.

Hi,

So you took the ring gear off and the flywheel and changed it for a belt starter one? So it should work?

Tom

bean

are the magnets inside the flywheel the same?

littleredrider

I took a flywheel off a starter/gen k181, and replaced it with a recoil start k181 along with the coil under the flywheel. IIRC they are the same size, just don't have the magnets. But it's been a couple years, so could be mistaken..

MarkPalmer

The simple answer is yes, the two flywheels (starter/gen and gear type starter) are interchangeable with the K181 and the conversion to starter/gen is an easy one provided you have all the parts.

-Mark-

Edited by MarkPalmer

Tom.

Hi guys,

Thanks for your help, I've got the engines ready it's now a matter of getting the flywheel off!! That's going to be quite hard I think but we will see..

Tom