Sign in to follow this  
Kelly

Update for a old refurb for my son

Kelly

I refurbed a B-100 auto for my youngest son Ryan, in 2008 he was 8 years old so the hydro was the way to go much easier to drive, well at the time, I was pressed for time trying to build 2 tractors in about 6 weeks so I put a good running 8hp Kohler in it, tractor was and is mostly a show tractor but gets the wheels driven off it at the shows, as the years went on he asked if we could rebuild the orig. 10hp, I put it off as the 8 hp ran great and I could never find the time to do it right, well this year I went in the barn to move tractors out and get them ready for the up coming shows, his puked gas out the carb and would not start, I know a simple carb cleaning and all would be good, BUT I bought a C-100 with a near new 12hp in it a few years ago, had about 50 hours on a NEW kohler engine, I tried selling it a few times but I guess $400 was to much, because I still have it, so the other night me and Ryan pulled the tractor out and fired it up to make sure all was good after setting a few years, yup runs like a top, so out it came, tore the tins off cleaned it up, mind you this needs to be done in about 10 days for the MI WH show, so clean up was bare min. I dug out the paint left from his tractor build so the color would be the same, and shot it today, I think he is pretty happy he's getting a 12hp, kinda a bonus for his 13th B-day last week, hard to believe it was 5 years ago we built his and his brothers tractors, any way here is a few pics of the engine update, and more to come in the next week. 

Here is what we had when finished 5 years ago with the 8hp

IMG_3702.jpg

IMG_3699.jpg

IMG_3703.jpg

IMG_3704.jpg

Here is the donor tractor giving up it's heart to another machine

post-85-0-31743100-1374456417_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-14794800-1374456655_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-02205200-1374456806_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-26030600-1374457020_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-21928500-1374457255_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-89498200-1374457377_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-33096300-1374457425_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-21357000-1374457634_thumb.jpg

​Here is Ryan winning his first trophy 5 years ago, he has won a few more since then.

100_5131.jpg

Edited by Kelly
  • Like 4

AMC RULES

Awesome tractor Ryan.   :handgestures-thumbsup:

Amanda

Nice! 

JimmyJam

Awesome looking tractor! Great job!

Kelly

It's not that clean anymore, it has a few chips and scratches, even a dent in the hood, but he washes and waxes it every year before most every show, he won a car care kit at one show and uses it to detail the tractor. 

Like I said it gets rode alot at all the shows, and does all the tractor games at the shows. 

Ken B

If there is one thing that I'm absolutely sure of in life it is that time flys, especially when yer havin fun! Like you, I try to spend as much time with my kids as possible. My 18 yr. old used to go to every show with me, boat, car, and tractor related. Once he hit 14 though he was off and running with friends etc. and hasn't been to a show with me in 4 yrs.

I think Ryan is going to love the 4 extra ponies under the hood! That is a sweet tractor.

JC 1965

That's a great looking tractor Kelly. I'm sure Ryan likes the larger engine. ( who don't )  More important though, many years from now he will remember working on these little tractors with his dad and like they say, That's priceless.   

KC9KAS

Very nice looking B-100....wait, I guess it is now a B-120!

Glad you and your son are having a blast working on the Horses together.

953 nut

:text-goodpost:   Ryan is a lucky boy to have a dad who will share his hobby with him and you are lucky to have a son that shares your intrest; keep him involved in all you do.  :text-coolphotos: 

:USA: 

• Like 1

Kelly

We do most everything as a family, (even eat dinner at the table together most every night) I have raced cars for 30 years that is my first love as hobbys go, and they are VERY involved in that, a family that plays together stays together, and that includes the wife, daughter and both boys, as they get older they all want their own race cars. 

• Like 1

Pullstart

My in-laws are all circle track racers, wife included!  Where do you run?  That's definately a great way to practice family values, you can't do that sport without family support!

Great build!  What do you use to wash the engine to do a re-paint?

Kelly

We dragged his tractor to the shop, and got a little done, had other things going on but pretty happy with the progress, engine is in, changed the choke and throttle cables, cleaned up a new dash panel and repainted the white (a quick job) fuel lines run, coil installed, need to clean and paint the muffler, install the PTO, do a little wiring, and tiddy up everything, but should be done in the next few nights, then it needs a bath bad, I think he is kinda stoked about the bigger engine.   if all goes good we may run it in a home town parade sat. but we will see. 

couple pics with the 8hp just before pulling it.

post-85-0-58105400-1374718388_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-68633300-1374718715_thumb.jpg

Engine installed, this is a mid frame tractor so the frame is about 2" shorter than a C series, so if you look they used a J bolt on the front right corner to mount the engine, glad I kept the parts with the orig. engine.

post-85-0-72741700-1374718818_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-27274200-1374718917_thumb.jpg

Muffler needs blasted and painted, but we checked it for fit before hand.

post-85-0-21851400-1374719033_thumb.jpg

Spruced up dash panel, with correct cables.

post-85-0-08464000-1374719118_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Lars

wow looks much better now Kelly.. gotta love the big engine.

Wheel-N-It

wow looks much better now Kelly.. gotta love the big engine.

Yeah, that bigger black motor gives it a real "means business" look !

WH Raider10

Looks really good! Gotta love those Kohler engines.  :)

Kelly

Got home early today, so I started back on Ryans tractor, blasted the muffler and a few other small parts got them painted, wired the engine, filled it with new oil, installed a fresh spark plug, and fired it up, I had installed the muffler so I could bake the paint on it, what a stinky thing that was for about 15 min. still need to install the PTO, but wet paint right now, and I need to tiddy up the wiring, and buy a new airfilter, I thought I had one :scratchead:  but I guess not, I turned him loose on it for about 15-20 min. in the yard, to see if anything fell off,  :hide:  well all is good so far, it runs great, glad I used this engine.

Where it's at right now, still needs a bath

post-85-0-82701200-1374797132_thumb.jpg

I have the aircleaner and is painted just left it off to adjust cables and the carb.

post-85-0-28130200-1374797317_thumb.jpg

I think he's pretty happy, and the muffler is a good one it has a deep tone to it. 

post-85-0-99516400-1374797626_thumb.jpg

608KEB

Looks nice.

• Like 1

Jake Kuhn

That turned out awesome! looking forward to seeing it in about a week.

• Like 1

Kelly

All done, even washed, we took it to a parade sat. and it ran great with no problems at all, well that is one thing off a long list of things to do I can check off. 

post-85-0-38378300-1375015147_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-03791500-1375015278_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

smoreau

Looks great!! Hope for some great weather next Saturday so I can see it!

• Like 1

JC 1965

Wow !!  That tractor looks great. When i read your posts you make it sound easy but i know there is a lot of work involved. I'm sure Ryan really appreciates it.   :thumbs2:

• Like 1

JimmyJam

Awesome looking restored Wheel Horse! Great job!!

• Like 1

Kelly

Thanks guys, for me it is pretty easy but I do body and mech. work for a living, and have done since I was a kid starting with bicycles, working my way up to building race cars, lifted 4x4's and much more, if anyone ever needs help or has a question, just ask, sometimes it takes a few days to reply, this time of year is very busy for me. 

welderman85

great work looks awsome