Sign in to follow this  
Steffen_Brandt

low oil level, Onan performer 18

Steffen_Brandt

So this is my first post on this great forum of knowledge.

Last summer I purchased my very first wheel horse. It is a 518 hydro europa model. I've probarly been working it hard all winter and this summer and not been very good at checking the oil level and etc. But the other day, the oil pressure indicator light started blinking and the tractor got a "ticking" noise. I thought it was belt to the mower, which was making the noise and I finished mowing the grasss (another 5 mins.) When I stopped the tractor and checked the oil level on the engine It turns out, that it was way under low level... So I changed the oil and the it is up and running again. Unfortanely the ticking noise is gone, so I know it most have come from the engine.

I've been using the tractor since then, but I fear that I have permantly damaged the engine.

So my question is: Do I have nothing to fear, or is it time to sell the wheel horse, before the engine fails. I'm not sure I'll be willing to spend $ 3500 on a replacement engine.

Thanks.

boovuc

I wouldn't sell it.

The ticking noise you heard may have been the actual switch opening/closing. (Or it could have been oil starved valves). If it didn't overheat, I would just run it, watch and listen.

You may just want to throw some full synthetic oil in for the rest of it's lifetime!

Steffen_Brandt

Hi Boovuc.

Thanks for your reply. As you wrote, I have replacede the engine oil with synthetic oil, and then I'll check the oil level on the engine more frequently.

I'll try to keep the Onan running for as long as possible. It already has got 2077 hours on the clock!

leeave96

I'd run the engine and not look back!

Good luck,

Bill

varosd

Steffen,

As with all small engines, but very important with the Onans...I always check the oil level before starting.  any pictures of your 518?

Steffen_Brandt

I'll keep that in mind :) Yes I've got pictures of it. Look in my gallery section