Sign in to follow this  
Digger 66

My deck & I

Digger 66

We spent the morning together .

Not alone though we were accompanied by a wire wheel , an air compressor various size scrapers / putty knives , impact gun , Valspar implement enamel & a sandblasting setup.

Though far from perfect , it will be a helluva lot easier to hose the underside :

Before :

Deckbefore_zps14706441.jpg

Underside :

Bottomafter_zps63cd2387.jpg

Top :

Topafter_zpsc7fd81f1.jpg

I know the colors aren't " correct " . It's the leftover orange ( underside " I had leftover from my 1966 snowblower project  :roll:

• Like 1

47JDG

Looks good! I don't know how anyone could really clean out a mowing deck very well by hosing them out with water, though I often hear people talk about it. Even a freshly painted one like yours. To really get one cleaned out well I have always had to scrap them out. I made some adapters for my twin post car hoist in the shop so I can pick a garden tractor up in the air and stand under it and scrap out the deck. I just park a wheel barrow next to me and try to get everything in it as I scrap away. Then I sweep up everything else that missed on the cement floor once done.This is especially handy with my dad's 520-H with 60" deck. If there is any kind of moisture in the grass at all that deck will accumulate it and need to be cleaned out after a few cuttings. It's a messy job, but beats removing and reinstalling the deck every time. It makes a huge difference in performance also by keeping them cleaned out. Nice work!

Amanda

Looks good :)

546cowboy

You know I have about 5 of them that need that done. When can you ah, just kidding. Besides you are way too far away.

Edited by 546cowboy

Tankman

Nice clean up. I most often use "left over" paint on the deck underside. No one can see it anyway.

Fresh paint is great. You might from time to time replace some hardware. I use stainless bolts, washers, nuts and Never-Seez® on the threads. Makes sense to me I guess.

I would paint the spindle housings on the underside. Those spindles corrode easily from moist grass.

Cleaning the underside of decks has never been easy. I do often power wash but, when it comes down to it, I drive up ramps, kneepad and putty knife knock off the clumps. I then blow dry with a compressor or my backpack blower. A long handle barbecue scraper with the wire brush is handy for "reach."

My Herd resides indoors, always dry. 'Specially important when damp. :)

Digger 66

I would paint the spindle housings on the underside. Those spindles corrode easily from moist grass.

I thought about going " all-in " and removing the spindles , but had to realize "where-to-stop" .The outer surfaces of the spindles do oxidize but they are tight & in good working order .

This deck has a lot of grass to cut this summer & will probably receive the full treatment this winter  :) .

userj8670

Really looks great Gene - def tip my hat to ya!

papaglide

Nice job! You inspired me to do up my 42" sd this winter...thanks!

Jake Kuhn

Looks awesome!