Sign in to follow this  
zeke83

What tractor to buy??

bean

Bean:

My soil is pretty clayey and heavy. I cannot take full depth passes even in my already-worked soil. The

engine will slow down, even in 1-low. Tilling is pretty demanding on the tractor, especially if you are in

heavy, rocky soils. Beefy -- including engine HP -- is good.

Jeff

jeff,

thanks. I did run a plow through it once, so it is pretty loose.

I'm probably not going to get the tiller, unless I find a deal I can't pass up. we've been growing vegetables on our deck, in containers, and have done pretty well. also, my wife's co-workers all have gardens, and bring in surplus daily. why buy the cow... :)

AMC RULES

You buy the cow for more seat time on the horse.   :handgestures-thumbsup:  

• Like 1

Keith

Other than the Peerless transmission and electric PTO clutch  I don't think there is anything that

is particularly hard to find for the 800 Special.    A Honda motor with 1-inch shaft will work.  I think

the 36-inxh deck is common with other Wheel Horses.    I suppose the Peerless transmission was

used for models of other manufacturers, don't know about that for certain.    I think I could convert

my 800 Special to use a  frame from another tractor, then I could use an 8 speed,   The frame isn't

wide enough to accept a Uni-Drive and I didn't want to modify the frame.   I think many "800" parts

cross reference to other models.    The Special mostly means it uses some left over parts, nothing

much is new other than the frame.  I  believe the wheel base is 45 inches.  Some others know more

about this than I do,  But other than the rear part of the frame, the four speed transmission and the

alloy Briggs and Stratton the 800 Specal is similar to other models.   

I considered a frame swap and the 16 HP Kohler then I'd have a 1600 Special. 

Tim