Sign in to follow this  
zeke83

What tractor to buy??

zeke83

Hey guys,

I'm looking to get another WH for mowing my lawn. Right now I have a "71 800 special, and its becoming hard to keep running. It seems that parts are not readily available for these tractors, and is becoming unpracticle for me to use this as my primary mower.

So basically I want to find a tractor that has alot of new/used parts available. What model tractors should I be looking for? I only have 2 acres of lwan to mow, but it would be nice to have something big enough to plow or blow snow with as I live in Upstate NY.

I know I could go buy one of these throw away cheap John deere's or cub cadets at Lowes....but whats the fun in that haha

Thanks

MaineDad

C-120 or C-160 would be my recommendation.

Sparky

You might want to jump up into the electronic ignition age and go with a 1988 or newer WH with a Magnum motor. 312....414...I have two with magnums and they are fantastic engines!

Mike.............

• Like 1

Tankman

So many WH's to choose from.

I might suggest a 416-8 with the 48" SD deck. Plenty of power and Kohler cast engine! :)

PS. BIG box store thingys won't work for ya. Ouch!

Edited by Tankman

Tankman

I was lookin at this one on craigslist...

http://utica.craigslist.org/grd/3935509507.html

What do you think about it??

Thanks

Very nice, clean, ready to mow d lawn! A Horse of course! :)

zeke83

Whats the difference from a 310-8 to lets say a 414-8 or 416?

Is a 310=10hp and 312=12hp?

• Like 1

Hodge71

I dont think theres much difference between the 3 series and the 4 series other than tire and wheel size and maybe a few bells and whistles. Other than that they use the same frame.

KATO

And yes you are correct on the numbering system. also the -8 = 8speed

boovuc

My 4 cents, (inflation), is the same as others brought up before I logged in. For a worker mowing machine and very little fussing, an electronic ignition Kohler magnum powered 10 to 14HP 300 series for everyday use!

Next would be the K series powered anything. I would also lean toward an 8 speed for everyday use.

My 310-8 is the most dependable mower I have ever had despite the cheesy charging system on it which can be converted. And compared to my Onan powered 520 and 416, I can mow many times on a 5 gallon can of gasoline.

zeke83

To make this more of a complicated issue...we will bring in the wifes opinion! haha

She actually wants me to wait and spend more money($1500-$1800) on a better tractor next year.

If I decide to go this route, what are the model numbers of the I should go with? Should I stay away from any thing thats a Toro-Wheel Horse?

baerpath

She actually wants me to wait and spend more money($1500-$1800) on a better tractor next year.

My answer to that would be I don't want to waste that much money on a mower, I'd rather spend less and get you something. LOL
Costing more does not mean better.

Thats a good price on the 310 with powered bagger. Personnaly I would stay away from anything not Kohler powered. To me the 520's are overpriced for what they are. 

Rollerman

To make this more of a complicated issue...we will bring in the wifes opinion! haha

If I decide to go this route, what are the model numbers of the I should go with? Should I stay away from any thing thats a Toro-Wheel Horse?

My wife has played this card too.

Then next year rolls around...buy more flowers, buy more bushes, another E room visit for the boy & tractors are low priority again... :hide:

Jeff-C175

Better go rescue the red-headed stepchild from all those green and yellow things pronto!  Poor thing, I can almost see it cowering in fear!

I bet you can get him down to $400 too...

47JDG

I have to agree with the above. From what I have seen around me the 300 series like this 310-8 seem to be the best bargains of all of the Wheel Horses lately. I have seen some very nice ones advertised between $300 and $450. They are nice machines and for the price I don't think you can wrong with a nice one. It will be more powerful and comfortable than what your used to also, but not so much bigger that its going to use a lot more fuel...like a twin cylinder onan would. You could also resell it for what you have into it if you do choose to go larger and more expensive later on. They hold their value good.

IthacaJeff

I've got a 310-8 that does everything but mow. It runs the tiller (a bit underpowered in my soil), plows the snow,

pulls the heavy cart, drags the spring tooth harrow. It is abused, but the Kohler Magnum keeps on going. Good

on gas, much better than my 16hp K341 in my 416-8. 

That being said, the 400 series has heavier axles. For my money I'd get a 312-8, a 314, or a 414. I love the 10 hp

Magnum, but on occasion a few more ponies is nice. The 416 with a Magnum or K341 eats a bit too much gas, 

but it is a mowing machine. I don't know how a 310 would handle a blower in Upstate snow. You are not on the

Tug Hill are you??

Jeff 

Hydro

You might want to jump up into the electronic ignition age and go with a 1988 or newer WH with a Magnum motor. 312....414...I have two with magnums and they are fantastic engines!

Mike.............

The Kohler Magnums are a great engines and were offered from 1988 to 1997, maybe longer for the 12 HP  The 314 is a nice tractor standard or hydro, 42 or 48" deck.  It would do an nice job with power to spare.

zeke83

Thanks guys!

I now know 100% more today than I did yesterday.

I'm thinking I should take that $1500 and buy three tractors!

• Like 1

Austin860

I'll only put my 2 cents on here. With a big budget you mise well well get a big tractor. A my d180 has a cast kholer, 18 hp. I have a four foot wide snowblower attachment, and a four foot wide blade. The only problem is that the d series are a little clumsy mowers, but what can you expect from such a beast. The d series could be a great choice for you, especially with a great budget!

bean

I've got a 310-8 that does everything but mow. It runs the tiller (a bit underpowered in my soil),

Jeff 

Jeff,

I am looking for a tiller for my 310-8, and was curious about the soil you till.   we have quite a bit of hard-packed clay in our area.  I have plowed it before with a moldboard, so it should be easier to work.

just wondering how taxed you thought the 10hp was using the tiller?

faithwalker

anybody know how much a 1267 is worth?  unrestored but in great working order with a dozer blade and an extra set of rear wheels.

Ed Kennell

Thanks guys!

I now know 100% more today than I did yesterday.

I'm thinking I should take that $1500 and buy three tractors!

Buy the 310-8.  More tractors will come. You will get the RED FEVER.

whfan74

My 312-8 has always been mo go to tractor for whatever you want to do. I must say that my 522xi is great for mowing with the 60" deck and plows snow better than anything I have ever owned. The power steering is a nice feature as well.

IthacaJeff

Bean:

My soil is pretty clayey and heavy. I cannot take full depth passes even in my already-worked soil. The

engine will slow down, even in 1-low. Tilling is pretty demanding on the tractor, especially if you are in

heavy, rocky soils. Beefy -- including engine HP -- is good.

Jeff

leeave96

That's a nice looking 310-8.  It has a Magnum too.  I would not hesitate to buy it - unless there is something bad wrong with it like it smokes, knocks or is abused, etc.

Good luck,

Bill