Sign in to follow this  
Ed Kennell

CL quick find

Ed Kennell

I was nearly finished mowing today when HUN BUN  stopped me for lunch. I checked craigs list while eating a ham &cheese and here was this 1970 Raider 12 listed for $400 that wasn't there this morning.   I called the owner and we settled on $250. Two hours later I finished my mowing with It.  The 42"er cuts sweet.

She could use a bath and a new seat and has a squeal coming from the drive belt pulley area.  I'm assuming we need a bearing.

What do  Ya think ???????

• Like 1

Tankman

I would say, "Great deal!"

You already, not going to, really like the Raider. Mine is a '68 12hp, manual, runs like a champ.

I've been through a lot of seats. Tractor Supply has a sixty buck ($59.99) seat, high back and steel pan with numerous mounting bolt patterns. I do like the seat, some kind of rubber, doesn't crack, cleans very nice.

Have fun! Good for you! :ychain:

PS. Tractor Supply also has on the shelf drive belts. I mention TSC twice 'cause one is only 15 minutes away and my Grandsons love to peek-a-boo at all the "stuff." Pic of my Raider in my gallery.

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 1

Jake Kuhn

Awesome deal!!!

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Thanks Tankman and Jake -----

I got the drive belt clutch pulley off and nothing left of the bearing but the races.  The inner race is free on the shoulder bolt --no problem. But it appears the outer race is assembled inside the two halves of the pulley, then the pulley  halves are spot welded together capturing the bearing.  Is the fix to drill out the six spot welds , separate the pulley halves, install the new bearing, and reweld or bolt the halves together.  Any clues what the bearing no. is ??     I also got the orig. manual with the Raider. 

546cowboy

No the fix is to get a new pulley. Most farm stores will have a new pulley.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Thanks Cowboy, I'll check TSC for the pulley and a seat.

Ken B

At 400 it was a decent deal but for 250 you did real good! Give her that bath and a nice new seat and you got yourself a real nice tractor.

• Like 1

VinsRJ

You did very well!

Replace that pulley and mow away!

• Like 1

krazy_horse

Very nice tractor. krazy_horse

• Like 1

leeave96

I think you got a very good deal!  I notice the tractor also has a clevis hitch too - very desirable addition to a Wheelhorse.  Deck looks like it's in pretty good shape too.

• Like 1

leeave96

I moved this post to here:  

Sorry about that!

Edited by leeave96

Sparky

Update: I've pretty much had the Landlord parked waiting on an engine transplant.

1st engine I found was 14hp engine out of an MTD lawn tractor. The goal was to get an engine in this tractor as a band-aid until I could get a new engine. I've got a goodly amount of tractors and so there is a limit to how much $$$'s I can spend on the fleet at one time - so a patch was on order for this tractor, if for nothing else, to allow it to move around under it's own power.

Being a Briggs Vanguard in the tractor, I wanted to stay with Briggs to minimize the electrical side of things - so when a Briggs single cylinder IC engine fell into my lap for FREE that had the right size shaft diameter and length, I decided to give it at try.

Problem is - I've got a lot of fish to fry and never warmed up to installing the Briggs IC engine and didn't. Instead, I waited to see if a used Vanguard might pop-up. I found one for $200, but it got snatched-up before I could get to it. Another one came-up for $400, but I wasn't to confident it was a good engine. For $400, I want to hear it run and couldn't.

My Dad has a Husqvarna (sp?) lawn tractor with a tufftorq tranny in it, model K46 I believe. If you do a search, you will find that some folks have had tranny failure with them - leaving another wise good tractor. The tranny in my Dad's Husky failed after 22 hrs, but was replaced under warranty. The tranny in the Simplicity Broadmoor I believe is a K51 - but don't remember the exact model, except it is very similar to the K46, perhaps the same, but with a charge pump. Problem is - the Broadmoor's tranny sometimes fail too. I worked with a guy that had a Broadmoor and his tranny failed. Soooo, I kept my eye on the classifieds and sure enough - an add appeared for a Broadmoor with a bad tranny and the Vanguard engine in it was for sale.

The long and short of it is - I bought the engine. The engine was still in the tractor, so the owner fired it up for me and it sounded great. We pulled out the engine, throwed it in my car and I gave him $100.

Now I got $100 in the tractor and $100 in the engine. This thing is starting to get expensive...   ;)

The engine is a direct bolt-up to my Landlord, the only difference is the muffler. This engine, though a twin cylinder Vanguard is 14 hp vs the 18 hp engine that came with the Landlord. The 18 hp Vanguard muffler is exhausts off of two cylinders directly into the muffler. The exhaust on the 14 hp Vanguard is exhausted off both cylinders, but manifolded from two pipes down to one and that one goes into the muffler. Both mufflers bolt on the same to the tractor. Not worried about the hp - this engine is a band-aid, hopefully a long term one!

I pulled out the old engine tonight. This was quite possibly the EASIEST engine removal I've ever done. Everything was straight forward and simple. As I said, I've got other color tractors, some more simple to work on than others, but this Landlord was a pleasure to work-on.

Tomorrow, I will clean out the engine bay and install the new engine and try to give it a try mowing.

One thing - this Landlord has a 50 inch deck, but I don't think the 14 hp engine will be necessarily underpowered. I've got a 48 inch deck on another color tractor and it is 12 hp and pulls the deck very well.

Hopefully I'll have some pictures tomorrow.

Thanks!
Bill

Nice story Bill.....where would you like me to move this post to?? :grin:

Mike............

leeave96

Update: I've pretty much had the Landlord parked waiting on an engine transplant.

1st engine I found was 14hp engine out of an MTD lawn tractor. The goal was to get an engine in this tractor as a band-aid until I could get a new engine. I've got a goodly amount of tractors and so there is a limit to how much $$$'s I can spend on the fleet at one time - so a patch was on order for this tractor, if for nothing else, to allow it to move around under it's own power.

Being a Briggs Vanguard in the tractor, I wanted to stay with Briggs to minimize the electrical side of things - so when a Briggs single cylinder IC engine fell into my lap for FREE that had the right size shaft diameter and length, I decided to give it at try.

Problem is - I've got a lot of fish to fry and never warmed up to installing the Briggs IC engine and didn't. Instead, I waited to see if a used Vanguard might pop-up. I found one for $200, but it got snatched-up before I could get to it. Another one came-up for $400, but I wasn't to confident it was a good engine. For $400, I want to hear it run and couldn't.

My Dad has a Husqvarna (sp?) lawn tractor with a tufftorq tranny in it, model K46 I believe. If you do a search, you will find that some folks have had tranny failure with them - leaving another wise good tractor. The tranny in my Dad's Husky failed after 22 hrs, but was replaced under warranty. The tranny in the Simplicity Broadmoor I believe is a K51 - but don't remember the exact model, except it is very similar to the K46, perhaps the same, but with a charge pump. Problem is - the Broadmoor's tranny sometimes fail too. I worked with a guy that had a Broadmoor and his tranny failed. Soooo, I kept my eye on the classifieds and sure enough - an add appeared for a Broadmoor with a bad tranny and the Vanguard engine in it was for sale.

The long and short of it is - I bought the engine. The engine was still in the tractor, so the owner fired it up for me and it sounded great. We pulled out the engine, throwed it in my car and I gave him $100.

Now I got $100 in the tractor and $100 in the engine. This thing is starting to get expensive...   ;)

The engine is a direct bolt-up to my Landlord, the only difference is the muffler. This engine, though a twin cylinder Vanguard is 14 hp vs the 18 hp engine that came with the Landlord. The 18 hp Vanguard muffler is exhausts off of two cylinders directly into the muffler. The exhaust on the 14 hp Vanguard is exhausted off both cylinders, but manifolded from two pipes down to one and that one goes into the muffler. Both mufflers bolt on the same to the tractor. Not worried about the hp - this engine is a band-aid, hopefully a long term one!

I pulled out the old engine tonight. This was quite possibly the EASIEST engine removal I've ever done. Everything was straight forward and simple. As I said, I've got other color tractors, some more simple to work on than others, but this Landlord was a pleasure to work-on.

Tomorrow, I will clean out the engine bay and install the new engine and try to give it a try mowing.

One thing - this Landlord has a 50 inch deck, but I don't think the 14 hp engine will be necessarily underpowered. I've got a 48 inch deck on another color tractor and it is 12 hp and pulls the deck very well.

Hopefully I'll have some pictures tomorrow.

Thanks!
Bill

Nice story Bill.....where would you like me to move this post to?? :grin:

Mike............

I'm an idot!

I fixed/moved it.

Don't now how that happened - LOL!

Thanks!

Bill

HorseWhisperer

Sweet tractor,sweet deal

Ed Kennell

I gave her a bath , found a clutch pulley and seat in my "junk" pile. Also pulled the deck for a good cleaning. The pulley area under the belt guard was packed with grease and grass. I'm surprised it didn't catch on fire. The belt tensioner spring was broken and the tensioner bar was locked in the nylon slides. Removed , cleaned , and repaired all this. Put a 1/8" rubber gasket on the belt guard to keep the  grass out. Need a tail light lens yet, then she's ready to work.

• Like 1