glkssailor

Looking for ideas... mods that no tractor should be without

glkssailor

I would like to get a general sense of what modifications people have found to be most useful from a practical perspective. I have a C-105 and a GT1100 to work with.

bartl

I don't know whether you can consider them "necessary", or even "desired", but here are a couple things I did during the rebuild of my Charger10....

- I replaced some of the "low strain" bushings with nylon ones (like the seat pan pivot) and used clevis pins instead of bolts and nylocks for the seat pan pivot as well, to facilitate removal for service, as needed.  I also replaced the dash and console retaining screws with stainless socket head cap screws. 

- In the dash where a switch would normally go for an electric PTO clutch, I installed a fuse holder and 15a fuse for the lighting and accessories.

- I installed a 4-post starter relay (solenoid) under the fuel tank pan vs. the original non-solenoid-through-the-ignition-switch starter wiring.  

- I ran the wiring for the headlamps beside the magneto ground wire and enclosed them in plastic conduit instead of along the frame.

- I used fusible link from the battery+ to the ignition switch "B" terminal for additional protection.

- I had a missing rear lift tube so I cut down a rigid toilet supply line, which has a nice radiused end on it, and fits perfectly in the indent in the bottom of the tool box.  

- I replaced the torn up seat with a high back unit I found on eBay that not only has a nice drain in it but has 2 slides with a locking lever to make quick operator adjustments.  The slides are adjustable so no new holes needed to be drilled.

- I replaced the OE-style Tecumseh round muffler with a small 1" ID unit probably intended for a Farmall Cub or the like with a rain cap.  I figure why not send the noise and fumes over my head...

It's still a work-in-progress......I'd like to find a suitable trio of gauges....tachometer, voltmeter and hourmeter.

SousaKerry

LED tail lights instead of reflectors.

jeremi3210

An old metal first aid box attached to a fender for a small tool box.

• Like 2

Lane Ranger

Slot hitch if you don't already have one.  A rear snowplow/tiller bracket.     Hex bolt head covers to reduce rust and exposure to elements.  New grease fittings.  New oil seals if needed.

• Like 1

jaxson stage

If you are talking attatchments i would highly recomend a tiller, snowblower and snowplow. These will pay off in the fall winter and spring!

SousaKerry

Oh yeah and do the lug bolt to lug nut conversion

• Like 1

rmaynard

A cup holder. 

• Like 2

Forest Road

Magnetic oil drain plug from David Kirks Engines

Jeff-C175

A cup holder.

Bob, do you mean a BEER holder?  :scratchead:

Ohhhh, you mean for your red Solo cup?

Hydro

I found my axle mounted trailer hitch to be very handy.

glkssailor

Lots of ideas so far. I definitely need to spend some time on the wiring. I will use the plastic conduit where appropriate. I will also need to replace the current ignition switch. I will likely grab the ignition components off a Craftsman parts tractor. I will also see if I can find an hour meter to make tracking maintenance intervals easier... While I am thinking electrical I may add a 12v socket to run a small compressor I have, or spotlight.

I am planning to pick up some attachments as budget, time and good deals allow. I already have a disc and harrow set promised, and of course the dump cart. A snow plow or blower,  and rototiller would be handy.

I am fortunate to have the metal fenders on the C-105, and I very much like the idea of a small tool box, I currently have two small boxes that would be perfect for the job.

I will pass on the cup holder, I have generally found there to be too much vibration and rattling for them to be practical.

I have a bolt on box store hitch mount that is currently set up with a 1 7/8 ball for moving small trailers around the yard. It also has a hole for the standard tow behind accessories, and hooks for hauling with rope or chain. Unfortunately I have found that the ball is too low to be very useful with my trailers, so I will have to make a bracket to mount it up higher.

829995001706lg.jpg

Speaking of rope and chain, a bracket to hang it on might be handy. I have a lot of brush to clear and will be pulling small stumps and roots. (wheel weights are in my future)

jeremi3210

I have a snap on can koozie with magnets in it. Works very will even with the unbalanced singles. And it fits any tractor with metal on it.

NCGT-14

a hot chick that doesn't mind mowing......right before the yard sale..........priceless.......