rydogg

my newest money pit

rydogg

Trying to find things we can do as a family of 6 has led me to get a larger boat with a cuddy so the kids can get out of the sun and wind so here is my latest investment I picked it up cheap since it needs a lower unit but I have connections to get the parts cheap.  It's a 21ft. Four Winns 215 Sundowner with a 230hp Mercruiser (305cid Chevy).  I was able to pick it up for about half of what the trailer is worth so I figured I couldn't go wrong besides that I have found out that parting out boats on ebay and craigslist has a pretty good payout, this is the 4th boat I picked up this year.  I want something bigger some day but I will need to either get a bigger truck or keep it in a marina/harbor.  Previous owner named it....I will be trying to figure out a different name, suggestions welcome.

post-2337-0-98924300-1373938737_thumb.jp

post-2337-0-10237300-1373938755_thumb.jp

post-2337-0-27092400-1373938818_thumb.jp

post-2337-0-10929700-1373938838_thumb.jp

• Like 3

AMC RULES

Nice...bust out another thousand.   :) 

• Like 2

rydogg

Nice...bust out another thousand.   :) 

Big Ol Awesome Toy :ychain:

GlenPettit

Horsing Around         Water Horsing

stevebo

That is a nice boat. Our first (bigger boat) was a 1985 4 Winns Santara Cuddy with the 305 ci. It was a 21.5 footer. Loved that boat and should have kept it. Great layout for sure. I would wet sand the entire boat with about 100-1500 grit wet sandpaper. That will take the oxidation off and then you can buff it with high cut compound and then finish with wax. She will clean up real nice for sure !! 

Vinylguy

gallery_74_25_98110.jpg

• Like 1

Ken B

Nice score, it really does have nice lines and its the perfect size. It looks nice now but if you clean it up it will look beautiful. I like that it has a cabin, I'm not a big bow rider guy myself. I had a 19 ft MasterCraft ski boat a few yrs ago and we really enjoyed it. I sold it to my brother and I sometimes wish I still had it. It would take a pounding though on Candlewood Lake on weekends due to its flat bottom, lake traffic etc. The 285 horse inboard would suck up at least 100 bucks in fuel per day if the kiddies wanted to go tubing, but it was worth it. Does that say Strippin Billies on the back?

stevasaurus

Very nice Ryan...going to use it on Ole Miss?  How does "SEA HORSE" sound? :)   Sorry..."The Cindy Lauper" is already taken. :ychain:

rydogg

Yep Steve....it will be on the Mississippi and possibly some other lakes.  Ken it says Trippin Billies. 

Today I picked up just about everything I will need to get this put together except for the outdrive gasket kit.  Lotsa work for me before it is ready for the water, I am doing everything myself since the shops get a fortune to work on these and all of it can be done with a little help from YouTube.

Checklist......

1. Rebuild Rochester Quadrajet carburetor it currently has a stuck float so I will take it completely apart clean/rebuild it and only run non ethanol gas to prevent any further carburetor problems.  New rebuilt carb is $300 but I can rebuild this one for $30.

2. Fully service the sterndrive/outdrive upper gearcase and lower unit (replace water pump, grease u joints, change gear oil).

3. Check engine alignment and adjust accordingly.

4. Install sterndrive/outdrive on boat.

5. Change engine oil...I got a deal on the Mobil 1 Extended Performance full synthetic oil and filter $36 I also picked up some for the truck since it is due.

6. Test and tune on the muffs at home.

7. Get my brother to follow me in his boat while I take it out for its maiden voyage.

After I make sure everything works as it should I will work on the cosmetics such as wet sand, polish and wax the gelcoat, recondition teak wood, shine up the interior, install depth finder, purchase and install bimini top if funds are available.

post-2337-0-60679300-1374028408_thumb.jp

Ken B

Nice check list, #7 is a GREAT idea. Trust me, I know....

rydogg

I picked up another boat from my uncle....he just purchased it and only got to burn up 1/4 tank of fuel before he got hit by a jet ski, the insurance company totaled it out and gave him a buy back price of $300 he didn't want it so I purchased it.  The only major damage was to the anti-cavitation plate on the outdrive I can just put a hydrofoil on it and no one would know the difference, the jet ski ended up in the windshield so that was all bent up and pulled out but I was able to reconstruct it so it looks like almost new.  The boat is a 18' Starcraft by Art Carlson the same person that designed the Glastron Carlson, engine is a V6 that starts the second you hit the key, unfortunately the engine and outdrive are OMC so it makes it a little harder to find parts and they are somewhat expensive, I have sold a lot of OMC parts on ebay and make a lot more on OMC compared to Mercruiser.

Big Blue in the backround is a great running boat but it needs a gimble bearing which is $150 for the part and installation I will probably let it sit until next spring since the season is almost over and I have another boat to use for the end of the season.

post-2337-0-21024300-1378063212_thumb.jp

post-2337-0-05799400-1378063228_thumb.jp

post-2337-0-74000800-1378063241_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Sparky

So if I understand this right....the jetski hit the outdrive and ended up in or on the windshield :eek:  ?? How the heck did that happen? Was the ski operator blind?

Mike............

AMC RULES

LOL! ...or a pinball wizard?   :ychain:

• Like 1

rydogg

My uncle being unfamiliar with a sterndrive boat thought that he should raise the outdrive whenever the boat is parked and with this type of outdrive it pretty much goes all the way up.  Not sure what happened to the jet ski the driver claims he lost control....most likely he was a novice rider that was riding too fast and too close to shore and the docks. 

Thanks Craig now I am going to have the pinball wizard song stuck in my head for the rest of the night. :banana-tux:

post-2337-0-25317500-1378078628_thumb.jp

• Like 1

RMCIII

Definitely a nice check list. But I have my reservation regarding item #1.

My opinion, don't waste your time on a Quadra junk carb. For the time(which is money) and actual $$ invested to do the rebuild, you can find a nice used holley or edelbrock carb to bolt right on. :twocents-02cents:

Coadster32

Thanks Craig now I am going to have the pinball wizard song stuck in my head for the rest of the night. 

How do you think he does it...I don't know what makes him so good....Aint go no disctractions.......DAM IT!!!

perhaps your boats are like rabbits....multiplying all over the place.

• Like 1

rydogg

Definitely a nice check list. But I have my reservation regarding item #1.

My opinion, don't waste your time on a Quadra junk carb. For the time(which is money) and actual $$ invested to do the rebuild, you can find a nice used holley or edelbrock carb to bolt right on. :twocents-02cents:

Never a holley, maybe an edelbrock....I have dealt with all and the quadrajet is the best choice for this application.  Here is a little info about "Quadrajunks" from PHR.

Quadrajet Carbs

Vilified by the masses yet embraced by experienced carburetor tuners, the Rochester Quadrajet has gotten a bad wrap over the years. Dubbed the "Quadrajunk" by the uninitiated due to its complexity, the Q-jet is quite possibly the most versatile and advanced carb ever built. "Since it was designed as a GM production carb when emissions laws were getting stricter, it had to, be very accurate," says Sean Murphy of Sean Murphy Induction. "When tuned properly, a Q-jet is hard to beat. Fuel mileageicon1.png, top-end power, and low-end torque-it can do it all."

As with EFI, it's the Q-jet's precision that can make it finicky at times. Although Holleys and Carters can be extremely forgiving of tuning errors, this isn't the case with the Q-jet. "Due to its precision and accuracy, Q-jets won't let you be nearly as sloppy with tuning compared to the other carburetor platforms out there. You can't take a Q-jet that was running well on one motor and stick it on another motor and expect it to run right. Even small changes in compression or cam can really upset the tuning."

Built by the Rochester Products division of GM, the Quadrajet first appeared in 1965. Designated the 4M, it featured small-bore primaries for improved throttle response and fuel economy and large-bore secondaries to meet fueling demands under heavy acceleration. During its reign of over 20 years, the venerable Quadrajet was used by every GM division. It survived well into the '80s, even implementing computercontrolled engine management over many of its functions, until finally being phased out in favor of EFI.

As a production piece, the Q-jet was never designed to be a highperformance carb. However, all Q-jets flow a minimum of 750 cfm, and some flowed a very respectable 800 cfm. Furthermore, NHRA Stock & Super Stock racers have been pushing well over 600 hp with Q-jets for many years. The Q-jet was continually refined over the years, and the first major redesign came in 1975. Called the M4M, o rmodified 4M, it boasted a larger fuel bowl capacity, a revised adjustable part-throttle (APT) system, and larger primary bores. The Q-jet went relatively unchanged until the middle of the '80 model year, when it implemented electronic controls and was dubbed the E4M (Electronic 4M). Consequently, the '75-'80 castings are the most coveted by hot rodders.

rydogg

We took the boat that I purchased from my uncle for a day of cruising, fishing, and tubing everything worked flawlessly here are some pictures of our day.  Now I am torn as to which one to keep the 18 foot boat can be used almost anywhere but the 21 foot cuddy boat needs to go to the river or a larger lake.

post-2337-0-09282400-1380206649_thumb.jp

post-2337-0-48835500-1380206759_thumb.jp

post-2337-0-03802700-1380206781_thumb.jp

post-2337-0-47013500-1380206801_thumb.jp

• Like 1

rydogg

Here is the latest "money pit" it was delivered today I don't get to keep the trailer we unloaded it onto blocks....the transom is junk and the engine wasn't properly winterized so it will be parted out, it does have a new camper top and an alpha one outdrive.  Boat is a 26 foot 1979 Searay Weekender I got a call and was offered the boat for $500 so I couldn't pass it up since the outdrive alone sells for more than that.  Pretty cool roomy boat I am thinking of putting it out in the woods and building the kids a fort out of it next spring, I'll sell the almost new camper top and build something to replace it since its too nice to let it just rot away it aslo zips away in sections so you could get down to just a bimini top.

post-2337-0-22583200-1381699084_thumb.jp

post-2337-0-37151200-1381699104_thumb.jp

post-2337-0-42145100-1381699124_thumb.jp

post-2337-0-67149200-1381699140_thumb.jp

Edited by rydogg
  • Like 1

AMC RULES

I guess it's too expensive to turn it into a boat?     :confusion-shrug:

I'd probably just turn it into a place for more  :wh: storage. 

Edited by AMC RULES

rydogg

I guess it's too expensive to turn it into a boat?     :confusion-shrug:

I'd probably just turn it into a place for more  :wh: storage. 

I am not sure what the transom repair would cost but I am sure it is expensive, I can get a running engine for $500 which is a pretty good price, a replacement trailer would probably run around $2-3 grand, also the title was lost 2 owners ago and I really don't feel like trying to hunt down the original owner.  I can usually find these boats in the $5000 or less range and they are water ready.  I was looking for an old pull behind camper to convert into a playhouse for the kids but I think they will like the boat idea even more.

Ken B

That would make a real cool fort in the woods if you can keep the insides of it weather proof.

rydogg

I don't think the previous owner noticed but when I pulled out the front bed cushion I found 3 brand NEW deep cycle batteries.  I am going to need to do some more exploring this afternoon and see if I can find any more goodies.

post-2337-0-58539800-1381765448_thumb.jp

AMC RULES

:scared-eek:     :omg:    :handgestures-thumbsup:

posifour11

Sweet! Get out those solar panels and put em to work.