jachady

Haban Flail Mower

jachady

I've been looking for a flail mower for quite some time.  Finally found one at a local auction site, thought I was going to get it for $40.  Ended up getting bid up at the last minute and paid over $500 for it but I'm happier than all get out.   Now I just gotta do a little fabrication to set the mount up.

John

• Like 4

AMC RULES

Now there's an attachment you don't see everyday.

After it's set up, can we see a little video of that one in action?    :handgestures-thumbsup: 

• Like 2

varosd

I think I remember Ian (Stigian) with video with just such a beast.  Do some also use a flail chain?  

John, How much does that weigh?

jachady

I looked and they offer lots of different cutting blades or chains. 

I'm not sure how much it weighs, thinking it's not much heavier than a snowblower.  Once I get it hooked up I'll get a video up at my land going through brush. 

jachady

I was finally able to go pick up the flail mower.  The pulley lines up perfectly with the outer pulley on the pto, but I do have to build a new way to attach it to the tractor.  My plan is to build a new bracket that mounts to the mid and front attachment points then goes forward to hook to the mower. It's basically going to be a front attachmatic turned upside down and it needs to be about 6 inches higher than our mounting point.  I'd rather not destroy the complex mount thats already there because it allows for flexibility mowing over uneven ground.  Plus, if I ever decide to sell it, its all intact.  I'll try to get pics during the process and will definitly get video once it's running.

jachady
Some better photos of the mower.  The other side is mint, they must have dragged this side against something all the time.  It looks better than in the pictures.

Started mocking up the mount.  Trying to use some old Wheel Horse parts I had laying around.  Where I've got the old Mid-Attach upside down, I'm going to have to fabricate something.  The mounting point needs to be about 6 inches higher.  It'll take some work but it should turn out real nice.

• Like 2

Forest Road

Here's my chipper hanging off the front. You might consider something similar. The choppers weigh over 100lbs it works much better now than when I tried using an old mule drive by itself.

jachady

So here's what I ended up with.

20140407_190951_zps9b8ef7dd.jpg

20140407_191011_zps780cb6fa.jpg

• Like 3

Tankman

Looks great! Excellent!   :ychain:

I'm sure all would like to see the mower in action!

jachady

Finally got a chance to use it.  My brother in law flips houses and bought one with about 2 acres of overgrown grass and brush.  Wish I would've got pictures showing the before, or at least more "during" but I was the only one there.  When my wife came out to give me a break I whipped out the camera.

20140421_174548_zps1932b800.jpg

And then turned on the video.

th_20140421_174916_zpsd740e81a.jpg

I wish this was a little thicker so you could see how well it works but it's kind of cool to see the blades flying around. 

I'll get more video with brush in it.  The place I work hired me to do the 3 acres behind the building and it's pretty thick.

• Like 3

C-101plowerpower

awesome mower, wish i could find one, looks like it's working great!

Koen

jachady

Some more pics in action and finished product.post-2137-140409005162_thumb.jpgpost-2137-140409006147_thumb.jpgpost-2137-140409008014_thumb.jpgpost-2137-14040900968_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

brandonozz

Very cool attachment John.  While it doesn't seem fast it sure does appear to take tall brush and turn it to mulch!  I would love to have a flail some day as well.

Zeek

Wow, that's a cool piece for sure!  Thanks for sharing the pictures of what it can do.

Forest Road

That's pretty sweet! I'll have to keep an eye out for one.

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat: Now I want one too. :handgestures-thumbsup:  

DotheDoo

I could have used that 3 weeks ago. Was clearing a wide path under some CL&P power lines to get a SUV thru. I ended knocking down the tall stuff with a brush blade on my weed whacker then made several passes with my 310-8 to get the weeds to grass height. Friend bought the land from CL&P and wanted to have access to the rear of his property for removing some trees.

varosd

those rigs are BRUTAL! :rolleyes:

jachady

Here's what you've all been waiting for:

VIDEO ! ! !

th_1139_zps9bfdb42e.jpg

th_1142_zps5f2d2dbd.jpg

th_1141_zpsb06a1fe1.jpg

• Like 3

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Thanks for posting that. Cool as all get out.

Glenn

Lane Ranger

That think is awesome!  First one I saw on here was one someone in Great Britain owned and posted a great video.  Thanks for sharing this.   I think they appear to be a better overall machine for week cutting than a sickle bar mower!    We used one on a International Farmall Cub but it ran off of the rear PTO.    Those flair blades can cut!

Jrblanke

That is awesome!!

C-101plowerpower

That think is awesome!  First one I saw on here was one someone in Great Britain owned and posted a great video.  Thanks for sharing this.   I think they appear to be a better overall machine for week cutting than a sickle bar mower!    We used one on a International Farmall Cub but it ran off of the rear PTO.    Those flair blades can cut!

that would have been the stig, or Ian as you may know him :handgestures-thumbupright: 

anyway, good looking rig you got there, i've been looking for somethink like that or maybe make my own( not sure if it is cheaper to make one or adapt one)

Koen

• Like 1

maxed500

wow that is brutal on brush, didn't pull engine down at all. 

Stigian

that would have been the stig, or Ian as you may know him :handgestures-thumbupright: 

anyway, good looking rig you got there, i've been looking for somethink like that or maybe make my own( not sure if it is cheaper to make one or adapt one)

Koen

Yep, that would be me :D

I wish I still had my flail mower it was a great bit of kit..

Here's the link to my flail mower thread..       

As the video link is long broken, have a different link to it instead..

Edited by Stigian