Sign in to follow this  
clemedc

520 H

clemedc

This for sale locally and I dont know anything about these. They are asking $300 and say it runs good. Can anyone see something obviously wrong with this tractor. Its seems to me it should be worth the asking price. What should I look for on this tractor? Missing or broken parts, stuff not working etc.

post-7206-0-32732300-1373716986.jpg

post-7206-0-71952500-1373716999.jpg

post-7206-0-83964000-1373717038.jpg

Wheel-N-It

Well if it runs, its probably worth $300. How many hours are showing on the meter? More importantly is the hour meter working???!!!

If it starts easily, I'd say buy it and a case of good spray paint!

varosd

Clay

It's a 1988/89.  how many hours?  check the electrical, hydro, do a compression test.  not the original fuel pump.

Ken B

If that tractor runs good it wouldn't matter to me if it had 3000 hrs on it at that price. Shoot the seat looks real nice and that seat will set ya back 100 bucks. it looks like it will clean up nice. If they'll take a little less that is even better.

• Like 1

decksetter

Be careful though, I got one that had a shattered rod but still ran. Pull the rear plug wire while it's running and see if the sound changes, onans can still have pretty good power when they're only running on one cylinder.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 1

squonk

If that tractor runs good it wouldn't matter to me if it had 3000 hrs on it at that price. Shoot the seat looks real nice and that seat will set ya back 100 bucks. it looks like it will clean up nice. If they'll take a little less that is even better.

Ken's right. Seat $100 cleaned up hubcaps $100. Now you have $100 invested in the rest. Put the muffler guard on E-bay- CHA-CHING!! :):ychain:

• Like 2

clemedc

Im trying to contact the guy but :teasing-poke: he is not responding. Crap I hate when that happens.

Wheel Horse Kid

Definitively a good deal, especially if it runs good. Looks like you have alot of good parts there too!

leeave96

Pretty good deal - even if for parts only.

papaglide

IF the Onan runs well, than shoot! That's a good deal. That tractor will clean up quickly. Shoot a new coat of paint on it and you will have your self a nice horse.

546cowboy

What is the matter with you guys today? You know darned well if it was close to you, you wouldn't hesitate to go get a 520 for $300.

GET IT AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 3

312Hydro

:text-yeahthat:X 2 !

Tankman

What is the matter with you guys today? You know darned well if it was close to you, you wouldn't hesitate to go get a 520 for $300.

GET IT AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exactamundo! We'd all be runnin' for that Horse.

I don't see a deck but, I have one to rebuild. The mule drive is there. As noted the seat looks decent, hub caps need buffin', more good stuff on that Stallion!

Great price!  :ychain:

clemedc

Well I am now the owner of a 520 H and here are some pics of it after I got home. I was sold when I got there and noticed pic 1 and 2. The original owner painted E O 782 which stood for Engine Overhauled at 782 hr then he pointed out the sticker on the block in pic #2 and I looked at the hour meter and it shows 1403 so do the math and hoped it was all true since that means it has 621 hrs since the so called overhaul/short blocked engine. This thing purrs like a kitten although a bit noisy kitten needing a new muffler. and the obvious paint and body work needed.

015_zpse384af17.jpg018_zps09a9986f.jpg016_zpsd29e2d9a.jpg

• Like 1

clemedc

It could also use a new hood does anyone have one? Can anyone tell me what models use this same hood?

Wheel-N-It

Well congragulations!!!  You did your homework and came home a winner! :woohoo:

HokieAg07

Thats a great deal Id say, nice score. 

leeave96

You should be able to find a hood.

Take your time, read and learn your new tractor. Download all the manuals. Keep the tractor clean, especially the air intake screen on the flywheel while mowing and the engine cooling fins.

Enjoy the ride!

Good luck,

Bill

• Like 1

Ken B

I'm happy too hear you snagged it! It won't take much to have that 520 looking real good. I'm pretty sure that only a 5 series hood will fit. What is wrong with the hood that is on it?

546cowboy

That's what I'm talking about. Don't waist time asking if it's a good deal just go as fast as you can to pick it up.

clemedc

I'm happy too hear you snagged it! It won't take much to have that 520 looking real good. I'm pretty sure that only a 5 series hood will fit. What is wrong with the hood that is on it?

It is banged up below the head lights in the rippled area and the seam is seperated. I could attempt to fix it but I am not real sure it would look so good. I do weld and have fixed some round hoods that came out acceptable to me, so I guess I should at least attempt a fix.

004_zpsdbee1614.jpg002_zpse661519c.jpg003_zpsa029ddba.jpg

AMC RULES

Awesome 520 score, and the body work looks like fun too.    :bow-blue: 

clemedc

This is a John Deer muffler for sale. Will it work on the Wheel Horse 520H? It seems different from mine. The 520 doesnt have the muffler clamps it is welded where the clamps are in the pic and the one in the pic looks backasswards. Or does anyone know where to find a muffler, or have a part #?

520muffler_zps00de94fc.jpg

zeedubbya

Nice score! Muffler part number is Toro 116471. There's one on EBay and in fact there is a whole thread on here about it! See "some people are just plain nuts". If you can weld a little that JD one can be made to fit, but the orientation is different. Again nice find! Enjoy it they are quirky and frustrating sometimes but awesome machines when running good!

Red-Bovine

I have a 520H muffler You can have for $75.00 plus shipping. Includes the chrome heat shield. Nice condition except I removed the curved outlet pipe. Could be welded back on or use a copper plumbing elbow.

Red