Sign in to follow this  
Tribefan1979

Solutions for removing heavily rusted rims?

Tribefan1979

I've been attempting for a week or so to remove a tire/rim off my 854. I think the rim has never been off! I've soaked it in PB for a week and even tried a 5lb sledge. Anyone have any other options?! Really want to get this project going! Thanks!

gwest_ca

Will the hub come off the axle? That way you won't be putting excessive force on the transmission and bearings.

On autos we used to loosen the wheel nuts off 1 turn and do figure 8's in the parking lot. Worked well with no damage or pounding but these tractors are a little light for that method to be successful.

Garry

Tribefan1979

Haven't tried to take it off the axel yet. Might give that a try...

AMC RULES

Sounds like you need a bigger hammer.  :handgestures-thumbsup:  

• Like 1

Digger 66

My snow blower is a 1966 Ariens & when the axle-bushings gave up , my hubs were frozen to the axle .

Solution ? Heat hub until cherry red , quench immediately with icewater & they fell off . 

Hope it helps .

Edited by Digger 66
  • Like 1

Jeff-C175

I'm thinkin' that if you can't get the wheel off the hub, then the hub won't be comin' off the axle any easier.

Try the loose lugs and drive around first.

Tribefan1979

I've already tried driving in tight figure 8s with the lugs completely removed. My wife thought I was crazy. Might have to resort the the heat wrench...

bartl

One of the BEST rust penetrants I have ever used is a homemade 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF.

littleredrider

If the wheel is that rusted to the hub,, no way the hub is gonna come off that axle!!!! Gonna take a lot of heat to get it off!!!

gwest_ca

Have a large spare battery with a good charge in it? Remove the wheel studs or nuts. Hook a booster cable to the hub and then touch the other cable to the wheel. The current tries to go through the rust between the two which is high resistance causing heat right where you need it. Never allow the current to travel through bearings - it will mark them.

Garry

squonk

If you have a heavy bar you could use that to whack the wheel from the inside. It gives 2impact points.I used to use a heavy torsion bar to remove stuck rims.