Sign in to follow this  
Fordiesel69

Cracked my tractor pulling a roller.....what to do.

Fordiesel69

Here is the deal.  Have 6 acres of very wet field that my 30 HP new holland will just leave ruts, so that tractor is out of the question.  So I have a 54" lawn roller that you fill with water which makes it nice and heavy.  I used my C-121 hydro and ended up cracking the frame where it meets the tranny.  My question is why?  The stress is on the axle and hitch, and on the lousey belt.  I will say however I did not look at the tractor prior so it could have been partially cracked. 

Can I use a non cracked tractor and try again?

KATO

I think of it this way ...if your center of gravity on the roller is higher than your hitch point,

when you get a heavy tug you will be pulling up on the hitch. This will transfer more weight to the front wheels through the frame.

If your frame was cracked before that could be your answer. Water weighs approx 10 lbs per gallon so you will have quite a load on that hitch if you jerk it.That being said... if your frame was solid i don't think it should be a problem. :twocents-02cents:

Forest Road

You've got a 30 yo machine. I'd bet it was already cracked. Theres actually a pit of stress there. Personally I'd find a local welder and have it repaired. It's very common for the frame to crack around the 4 trans bolts. Several people here have had a 1/4" steel plate made to put on the front of the trans mount. Good luck

Butch

They use to make a plate to put on the inside of the frame because of cracks. Someone here may have the part number.

Wheel Horse Kid

I have heard that the C Series can have problems with cracked frames. You could always weld the frame or get another one for it...

daveoman1966

I have repaired SEVERAL of the frame plates and here are a few pics of my solution to make the repair and no welding is involved. This is a 520H and the frame plate is identical to B & C series, as well as the 300 400 ones too.

• Like 2

leeave96

The frame may have already been cracked.  None the less, it can be repaired.

Good luck,

Bill

Sparky

Do you plow snow with this machine...or did the previous owner? Thats usually the reason for the stress cracks.

Mike...........

KC9KAS

Water weighs 8.34 pounds per gallon to be precise.

Tankman

I have repaired SEVERAL of the frame plates and here are a few pics of my solution to make the repair and no welding is involved. This is a 520H and the frame plate is identical to B & C series, as well as the 300 400 ones too.

I have seen a few repairs, although welded quite similar to your fine lookin' repair.

Bolted but, can still be welded given the time and opportunity.

One repair plated that I looked at, the repairer didn't use bolts that were a little longer to compensate for the thicker face. He changed them adding plate thickness to the length.

Anyway, excellent repair! Thanks for the post.  :smile:

BPjunk
  1. Yes Wheel Horse did make a repair plate for the transmission mount but this was for 1961 to 1964 models, in 1965 they can out with the mounting area ribbed to add more strength. Some time in the 1970's they came out with a set of 2 strip inserts.

Wild Bill

Richmond, VA

hm12460

Thats a problem. I've had a few larger models that were cracked there. The models with a K-181 or K-241 doesn't seem to be as bad. Some guys are a little rough plowing snow with these tractors.

Wheel-N-It

Daveoman, I am totally impressed with your frame plate repair system. :handgestures-thumbsup: