Sign in to follow this  
holler1

"New" Wheelhorse 308-8 and Deck Issue

holler1

I bought my first Wheelhorse tractor last weekend - a 308-8, can't read the longer model number. It has a sticker but it is totally faded.  I really like it so far; the Kohler engine sounds great, starts and runs well, and seems plenty strong for my application (mowing 1.5 acres). Overall it is in good shape.  I'll post a picture if possible.  post-11018-0-99030400-1373395298.jpg

It mows pretty well but the mower deck (36" RD 05-36MR04 or at least in that family, no model number on it) is rusty, has several patches and is missing the front roller and mount. There is a hole where the mount should be. It mows OK as long as I keep the height adjuster in the 3rd slot or higher. It scarfs otherwise. I would like to get a better deck and found an older 36" RD deck for sale from a B-111 (95-36XR01 family). The for sale deck has a different type of front roller and different location for the drive pulley, at the rear instead of over the front cutter as my old one is. I know the two decks are not directly interchangeable. However, overall the two decks look very similar, and the seller and I are speculating they might share the same shell. If so, I could move over my pulleys and spindles and lifting hardware that appear to be still in good shape to the better shell. I have not been able to find an 05-36MR04 deck or shell for sale. Is there anyone on the forum who is familiar with these decks and could tell me if the 95-36XR01 shell is compatible with my hardware? I know the roller mounting is different  and it is welded on, but it doesn't appear it would interfere with the drive belt, and I suppose I could cut off the top of the roller mount if necessary. 

If this doesn't work, I'll probably remove the old deck later and see if I can get it welded to work for a while.

Thanks very much, and this looks like an excellent forum.

Larry

daveoman1966

Yes... it is very doable.  These shells are stamped as identical and only the belt drive systems differ.  You only need to trim the front roller bracket of the XR01 to allow the belt to clear it...I used a sawzall after marking the approximate cut lines.  Don't cut the bracket off....just trim its height down flat. You'll also need to swap over your spindle belt tension apparatus and reroute the spindle belt....again, very easy to do.. 

holler1

Dave,

Thanks. That's what I was hoping. I'm going to try it. Is there any reason to swap out the spindles and pulleys on the sides, if they are in good shape? I may have some more questions after I get the other deck.