Sign in to follow this  
Hodge71

Are horses gold?...A rant or a comedy depending on perspective

MarkPalmer

I had this same sort of thing happen with this putzo of a kid my mom knew.  She told me there was an old JD tractor sitting by a scrap pile where she worked, she thought they were just junking it and that I might want it.  I went to look at it, and it was a REALLY beat up 140 H1, barely restorable with virtually everything needing addressing, but I thought perhaps I could make something of it with a lot of effort if I got it really cheap or better yet free for hauling it away. I told my mom to ask if they wanted to sell it or ?  Turns out it was given to the business owner’s kid, who was in his early 20’s.  He told my mom he would take no less than $800.00 for it.  I was eating breakfast at the time, and laughed so hard I spit my Cheerios out of my mouth!  I told my mom he must want to sell it to support his crack habit, because he’s obviously smoking it. 

-Mark-

Hodge71

Interesting so far and I must say Boovuc....No need to apologize for him or Pennsylvania. I love my state.....just gotta expect stuff like this. Especially with Noxen...lol.

bean

thought I would give you a sellers perspective;

I had a young kid work with me a few years back. he needed transportation, and ended up with a 80s Toyota truck. it ran like a top, but had no heat, and it was winter. we took the lines loose to the heater core and got it cleared out, and it worked fine. he drove it until spring and listed it for sale on cl for $500.

every morning he came in with several new stories.  offers for $100,  unbelievable trade offers(pair of coon hounds topped the list ).  then there were tragic stories about cars dying and the family had no money or transportation.

he pulled the add after 3-4 days and finally sold it to a co-worker.

so, by the time you finally get in touch with the seller, they may be at their wits end.

Edited by bean
  • Like 1

bitten

Its not just CL and ebay. Look under the classifieds here and you will see some overpriced tractors. We would all like to make as much money as we can but have to know the difference of profit and absurdity. You really cant blame a person for trying.

We have all seen the tractors that have been on ebay for over a year and then we see the ones that dont last 5 hours.

As a buyer it is very frustrating. We know what we will pay and it can be hard to find what we want at the price we will/can pay. I have dealt with some real winners as Im sure most have. I have to believe that the people that want to screw you around when they are trying to sell something will always get theirs in the end. There are really good people out there and it just sucks that all people dont treat others the way they would want to be treated. Just remember what they say about karma. 

Edited by bitten
  • Like 1

Lagersolut

Bean ,  I've been on the selling end, last time was a 8 x 10 aluminum trailer , the crap I was dealing with was unbelievable , listed with pics and people calling me asking what color it was, wanting me to upload the pics to their phone, one guy came and looked at it , measured the inside and said it's not 8 ' wide,... accused me of false advertisement ....had to explain it's  8' from wheel to wheel if it was 8 on the inside would make it 10 on the out , asking price was 1800 , guy offers me 500 on the phone ( told him it would rot in the yard before it sold for that )  people promising to come @ x time never show up .....on and on

That's the short list, I finally after dozens of nit wits finally got a serious buyer and we settled on 1500 cash .

My God was I glad that was over ....jeeesh .

I absolutely hate selling because of that.

Edited by Golds-Red

Wheel Horse Kid

Bean ,  I've been on the selling end, last time was a 8 x 10 aluminum trailer , the crap I was dealing with was unbelievable , listed with pics and people calling me asking what color it was, wanting me to upload the pics to their phone, one guy came and looked at it , measured the inside and said it's not 8 ' wide,... accused me of false advertisement ....had to explain it's  8' from wheel to wheel if it was 8 on the inside would make it 10 on the out , asking price was 1800 , guy offers me 500 on the phone ( told him it would rot in the yard before it sold for that )  people promising to come @ x time never show up .....on and on

That's the short list, I finally after dozens of nit wits finally got a serious buyer and we settled on 1500 cash .

WOW! Was this on Craigslist? If so, remind me never to sell stuff on there!!!!!!!

Lagersolut

WOW! Was this on Craigslist? If so, remind me never to sell stuff on there!!!!!!!

Sure was   CL ....   maybe it's just the area I'm in ...had to dig my heels in the sand and let a few of them know how it was....I seem to think an antique tractor or parts would be a little easier ( I may be wrong on this ) because of the limited demographic you're appealing too.

Edited by Golds-Red

SPINJIM

After seeing some of the prices being asked for rusty Wheel Horses, I think I'm going to convert some of my 'parts tractors' to restoration projects.   I picked up a Suburban 400 in pieces, and a rusty Rj-58 without a hood, both with the intention of scavenging them for parts to restore other tractors.   Now I think I'll restore them, polish them weekly, tuck them in at night, and put heating blankets over them during the winter, now that I know what they're worth.   :laughing-rofl:  :laughing-rolling:

I guess ridiculously high prices are a cure for the Wheel Horse addiction.  Oh well, I was running out of space in my barn anyway.

Jim

• Like 1

Theswampthing

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but thanks for the heads up. I had that CL ad bookmarked and was planning on calling. Would have not been happy about driving up there and putting up with that mess.

Wheel-N-It

Craigslilst is always a toss up regarding the people you meet. The guy Jay and I bought the C165 from was not someone i would let in my circle of friends, ever! The young man and his Mom I bought the 414-8 from were two of the finest people you would ever want to meet. These, who were the people I interacted with in my last two CL purchases went from one end of the spectrum to the other. You never know what you're gonna get when you make that first phone call responding to a Craigslist ad.

Edited by Wheel-N-It