Sign in to follow this  
dsholler

Question for the battery badger?

dsholler

The crux of this question is whether you can have too large a battery (i.e. too much Ah capacity) ?

My battery has been giving me trouble for a while, and after sitting on the charger all weekend it would not start the tractor on Sunday. It being Sunday, I had to get another at WalMart. Their battery display was well stocked, and a bit disorganized. I found one battery whose specs were similar to the one I had (listed slightly more Amp hours and CCA) and I grabbed one off the shelf... when I got it home, I realized the one I grabbed had about 3x the listed amp hours and CCA numbers... It has started the tractor up fine, and I have seen no noticeable difference, other than the volt meter staying slightly below or at 14 while running with this battery, vs. slightly above with the old one.

So I figure all is fine.. but am curious if it would be possible to put too much load on the charging circuit. My guess is that the only symptom is that I probably paid extra for a battery that I did not need...

Save Old Iron

Think of the battery as a savings account.

say you have 320 battery bucks (CCA) in your account when you open it (get a new battery).

Every time you start your engine, you take out 10 battery bucks. The charging system works hard enough to put back 1 battery buck per minute. So the charge system takes 10 minutes to put back the 10 battery buck debit you took out of your 320 battery buck account.

But - you have a service fee on your battery buck account. Nature takes away 10 battery bucks per month (sulfation and grid erosion and damage). You loose 120 buck (CCA's) every year regardless if you use the account or not. Your account gets smaller every month - but since you only take out 10 bucks at a clip, you never really notice it - until you only have 10 bucks left and then when you need it to start the engine, it may or may not work. Your account (battery capacity) is depleted.

To your question on a 600 CCA battery instead of a 300 CCA battery. All you did is make your account larger. You still take out 10 battery bucks every start and put it back in the next few minutes. The difference is the "service fee" on your account. A 600 battery buck account will last twice as long as a 300 battery buck account. The day will come when your 600 battery buck account gets depleted too, but it will most likely be in 4 years instead of just 2 years.

• Like 2

Save Old Iron

Oh - and i forgot to mention. In the cold months, whatever money you THINK you may have in the battery bank, you have HALF what you think. The bank only gives 50 cents on the dollar once the outside temperature reaches 32 degrees (lower chemical activity in colder temperatures and a battery is a chemical reaction). That is why so many folks get surprised in the cold weather. Everyone who carries a low balance in their battery bank starts to hear starter solenoids clicking and clacking.

Edited by Save Old Iron

dsholler

Thank you, that makes a lot of sense.  And if it really is somewhat linear (i.e. the 600 battery will last twice as long as the 300) then it is probably worth it, since it was only a couple of dollars more. 

stevebo

I was just gonna answer no you cannot have too much cca- lol Well said Chuck!

jimt1971

That is why I have a group 78 battery in my Raider.

Save Old Iron

Dan, you can maximize the life of the new battery by minimzing exposure to heat and vibration. The biggest return will be from keeping the battery electrolyte topped off (if caps are present on the cells) and to NEVER let a battery sit in an uncharged state for any significant length of time. 

dsholler

you can maximize the life of the new battery by minimzing exposure to heat and vibration.

you mean like mowing the lawn at midday in the summer?  :)

SALTYWRIGHT

I RUN 2 BATTERYS ON MY 417-8-DIESEL. THEY FIT WHERE THE GAS TANK WAS.

leeave96

you can maximize the life of the new battery by minimzing exposure to heat and vibration.

you mean like mowing the lawn at midday in the summer?  :)

and 3rd gear high range, full throttle... ;)

glkssailor

Next time I need to replace the tractor battery I plan to look into marine rated starting batteries. The grids in marine batteries are built heavier to better withstand physical shock and vibration. They will of course cost more, but you are less likely to drop a plate.

Any thoughts on gelcell vs traditional?

Save Old Iron

Any thoughts on gelcell vs traditional?

gell or glass mat batteries require a "smart charger" to prevent overcharge and destroying the electrolyte captured in the matt. The 14.x voltage output of the standard WH reg assy would overcharge the gel or glass mat batteries. I believe the glass matts only like to see a max of 13.6 or 13.8 volts to maintain a proper charge on the battery.

Fordiesel69

Also CCA is a marketing ploy as well.  Reserve capacity is a more accurate number.  Walmart batterys have a higher CCA than most OEM batteries, but the ones the OEM uses have a better reserve.

Another thing that directly relates to battery life is the shear weight of it.  More lead = more life = more power.