Sign in to follow this  
Zgt500

pulleys

Zgt500

what size pulleys should i use to get a 1:1 ratio?

wallfish

Two of the same size pulleys

Zgt500

i know that, but i dont know what size would be best

wallfish

If it's a 1:1 ratio, it doesn't matter what the size is.

What exactly are you trying to do?

wallfish

Here's a link to a useful pulley and belt calculator to determine different ratios and belt lengths. Maybe this will help.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/pulleybeltcalc.html

Zgt500

im trying to make a tractor go fast

wallfish

To go faster, it's much easier to change the transmission pulley to a smaller size rather than the engine pulley to a larger size if you plan to use the original belt guard. The belt guard will not fit correctly if you change the engine pulley size. When I built a rat rod to go faster, I experimented with quite a few different sizes and combinations on both but the belt guard was going to be custom built. Here's a link to some pulleys https://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?catname=powerTrans&keyword=PPP1

I wouldn't recommend changing pulleys on a hydro tractor but the 8 speed, 8 pinion,1 1/8 axle trans seems to handle the change pretty good. The 8 speed trans drive pulley uses a 5/8 diameter bore pulley. To go a little faster use a 5" pulley, to go much faster use a 2.5" pulley or figure out what you want to do with some sizes in between. You'll need to change the belt for different sizes. Keep in mind that these tractors were not designed to go much faster than the factory setup so it will easily tip over at higher speeds without other modifications.

littleredrider

I had a 5" on the motor and IIRC a 2 or 2.5" on the tranny, and it would haul @SS. Belt guard won't come close to fitting, but not hard to fab something up. Mine handles pretty good, but has duals on the back so it has stability....