Sign in to follow this  
Lymedog

What's the toughest of the big WH's?

Tankman

Hey tank,

Do you know anyone local, pa,nj,or ny selling a 520-8.... Still looking. Checked out the NH gt 22.... It was, say the least a P.O.S..

Not giving up ,but still looking for the tough as nails and strong as a bull WH!

Don't know of anyone selling a 520-8. Mine wasn't for sale when I found it. Should I hear of one, I'll PM ya.

The 520 was sitting outdoors next to a barn, unused for a couple of years. Owner said, "Make me an offer."

I did, and glad I did. The Horse is now retiring in my barn.

Lymedog

Thanks for the info and help Tank....I saw the one for sale outside of Pittsburgh Pa .... With my two young kids and lack of immediate time.... I lost it... Plus the guy wanted almost 1,800.00 for it in OK condition with fairly high hours. Needless to say its was gone in 4 days post on Craigslist.

Tank... Gotta ask you... You own both a 520-8 and 416-8... I own a 416-8 with a Onan... I was thinking of a swap out with the Onan for a single banger Kohler Magnum (16). Do you think the Magnum has more torque and power than the Onan... I've tried to find websights on the power / Torque ratings with no luck.

The Onan runs real smooth fairly low hours.... Would this be a bad move? Or are the two engines about the same for pulling?

swirlsaepi

There are plenty of posts on Craigslist right now in central NY and western NY for 520s.  Most that I see are 520-Hs, not 520-8s though.

Tankman

Thanks for the info and help Tank....I saw the one for sale outside of Pittsburgh Pa .... With my two young kids and lack of immediate time.... I lost it... Plus the guy wanted almost 1,800.00 for it in OK condition with fairly high hours. Needless to say its was gone in 4 days post on Craigslist.

Tank... Gotta ask you... You own both a 520-8 and 416-8... I own a 416-8 with a Onan... I was thinking of a swap out with the Onan for a single banger Kohler Magnum (16). Do you think the Magnum has more torque and power than the Onan... I've tried to find websights on the power / Torque ratings with no luck.

The Onan runs real smooth fairly low hours.... Would this be a bad move? Or are the two engines about the same for pulling?

The 520's Onan runs great as does the Kohler 16hp.

I would leave the Onan, run it. If it blows, go with the Kohler. Wheel Horse makes it, Kohler shakes it!

Never having owned an Onan I was skeptical. No longer, I run the Onan hard, check the oil before each use keeping the level smack in the middle of the dipstick marks.

Hey, they're Wheel Horses!

Obtaining Onan parts is a pain in the you-know-what, or so it seems to me.

carlsbarn2

C-175  RULES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lymedog

Carl,

You think the c175...8 speed or hydro rules?

Right now I have a shot at an older 417-8 or possibly a 522xi ... Just right now money is a little tight... But hoping!

522xi just came on the market.... But it's a real long drive and more expensive than the 417-8... Plus the 417-8... Is. The classic series and i have a fondness for the 8-speeds!

How do u like the c195?

kick

Unfortunately guys I own the two strongest horses ever built my D160 with a kohler single 16hp and my 417-8 with a kohler twin (Love the sound of this twin ).  The third strongest is my 310-8.  :bow-blue:  :bow-blue:

Lymedog

Hey kick,

Tankman owns the 520-8... I don't think your d160 or 417-8... Will out pull it!?!

I do like the 417-8 though... I'm considering it strongly!

JackC

There are pros and cons for each model.  The 417-8 should be a good compromise and good all around machine.  The twin Kohler flat head is strong and runs smoother than a single,  Parts should be easy to find.  

I have 8s and hydros and for all of my applications the single stick hydro is what I prefer most.  My 520HC is one tough horse and it is less complicated and will out run any other 520H.  If I need a heavier beast I crank up one of my D-160s with the ONAN twins.

RMCIII

There is a 520H on CL w/only 162hrs. original owner is selling. Cleveland CL. Been there for a few weeks. Maybe he is ready to come down on price.

6wheeler

This post is fun. There are alot of "tough" tractors out there and everyone has their own opinion. I think I own some of the toughest tractors ever built because they are WH's. I like all of my tractors. The 520 is a great mowing tractor for me. I let my grass grow longer and it handles it with ease. And, the hydro is nice too. And the gear reduction steering is really nice. Now for a work it to the bone tractor? My C-165 is hard to beat. It is my gardening tractor. It plows,discs', and cultivates without a whimper. And it sips gas too :greetings-clappingyellow: . The 16hp Kohler with 8 spd. is hard to beat. The steering isn't the greatest and a hydraulic lift would be handy too. Henceforth, the winter project is lined up. It will be married to several 520 parts (steering, Hydraulic cyl. and valves). It will still be an 16hp. 8spd. with hydraulics. It will still look like the beastly C-165 Blackhood it was meant to be, only a little more "tougher". All of the tractors are tough in their own way. That is why I recommend you own several. I just jack em up a bit to do the job I want them to do. Happy Hunting....

• Like 1

leeave96

... Henceforth, the winter project is lined up. It will be married to several 520 parts (steering, Hydraulic cyl. and valves). It will still be an 16hp. 8spd. with hydraulics. It will still look like the beastly C-165 Blackhood it was meant to be, only a little more "tougher". All of the tractors are tough in their own way. That is why I recommend you own several. I just jack em up a bit to do the job I want them to do. Happy Hunting....

I hope when you do this project you document/post it as you go!  Sounds interesting.

brandonozz

... Henceforth, the winter project is lined up. It will be married to several 520 parts (steering, Hydraulic cyl. and valves). It will still be an 16hp. 8spd. with hydraulics. It will still look like the beastly C-165 Blackhood it was meant to be, only a little more "tougher". All of the tractors are tough in their own way. That is why I recommend you own several. I just jack em up a bit to do the job I want them to do. Happy Hunting....

I hope when you do this project you document/post it as you go!  Sounds interesting.

I'm with you on this one Leeave96.  I will be very interested in keeping up with this build as well as I had planned on doing something similar with my C165 -8.  My thought was to take the rear 3 point off my D200 parts tractor to mount to the C.  If anyone has ever done this before i would love to see some pics.

papaglide

I am interested also. An 8 speed with hydraulic lift is my idea of an ideal tractor.

Forest Road

I have a 522xi with a kwik way loader. C series, 3/4/500 series can't hold a candle to the Xi. It's 1000lbs by itself. With the loader and ballast box loaded it close to 1800lbs. With 1100+ hours she's still going strong. It'd be even better if it had a locker and a 3pt hitch. Overall I'm happy.

Edited by Forest Road

baerpath

This post is fun. There are alot of "tough" tractors out there and everyone has their own opinion. I think I own some of the toughest tractors ever built because they are WH's. I like all of my tractors. The 520 is a great mowing tractor for me. I let my grass grow longer and it handles it with ease. And, the hydro is nice too. And the gear reduction steering is really nice. Now for a work it to the bone tractor? My C-165 is hard to beat. It is my gardening tractor. It plows,discs', and cultivates without a whimper. And it sips gas too :greetings-clappingyellow: . The 16hp Kohler with 8 spd. is hard to beat. The steering isn't the greatest and a hydraulic lift would be handy too. Henceforth, the winter project is lined up. It will be married to several 520 parts (steering, Hydraulic cyl. and valves). It will still be an 16hp. 8spd. with hydraulics. It will still look like the beastly C-165 Blackhood it was meant to be, only a little more "tougher". All of the tractors are tough in their own way. That is why I recommend you own several. I just jack em up a bit to do the job I want them to do. Happy Hunting....

I have a 516 with a K341, 8spd, hydro lift and rear 3pt runs around on 15 inch rear tires and has a 1054 front axle and tires on it. Uses electric over hydralics. How are you doing yours ?

sdwyer41

If you were going to use it mainly for ground work, plowing, dozing, etc.  Couldn't you mount a hydraulic pump on the tractor and power it from the pto?  The pump and resivoir hanging on the front of the tractor could be used as a front mounted counter weight.  I don't know, I'm no mechanic, so just a wild thought from my wild mind,