Sign in to follow this  
Cutlas3391

New to The D Series Wheel Horse Family

Cutlas3391

I bought this beautiful D18 automatic this weekend this will be my second D first one was parts. This one is in great shape and came along with a parts tractor to. Im excited to have it and hope to find a loader/bucket for it....Anybody got any cool History on them? 

post-8224-0-89650100-1372860887_thumb.jp

post-8224-0-95025900-1372860901_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Sparky

I dont have any "cool" history for ya but heres the model#'s for that model. Seems like there are four #'s for the same year machine. They all have the same tranny and engine specs.

1-0600 1973 D Series Garden Tractor 18 HP Automatic Kohler K482S-35209B 18 Sundstrand 90-1137
1-0601 1973 D Series Garden Tractor 18 HP Automatic Kohler K482S-35209B 18 Sundstrand 90-1137
1-0610 1973 D Series Garden Tractor 18 HP Automatic Kohler K482S-35209B 18 Sundstrand 90-1137
1-0620 1973 D Series Garden Tractor 18 HP Automatic Kohler K482S-35209B 18 Sundstrand 90-1137

MIke..............

• Like 1

"D"- Man

No cool history here either but I think the model numbers have more to do with the rear wheel and tire sizes and the tire type: used turf or ag. Mark.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Interested in knowing what the model and serial numbers are. Can see the ID plate below and up tight to the bottom of the dash housing in the 2nd picture.

A bit of literature to get you started

There is a lot more I should be able to dig up on a clear day.

Garry

• Like 1

fireman

Only real cool history I can tell you is the 1973 was the pre-cursur to the D series. That's why it's called the 18 automatic. Didn't really become the D160, D180 or D200 till 1974. They did offer an ARK550 loader and Brantley Backhoe for it!

• Like 1

KC9KAS

Looks like a nice machine you have there!

• Like 1

Hodge71

In the fall of 1971 Wheel Horse sales requested the R&D dept. to come up with a full size garden tractor with more power than the then big shot GT-14, a rear PTO to power implements and a category 0 3 point hitch. They ended up coming up with the 1973 18 auto which would eventually be the D180 in 1974. During their development they decided to go with a "divorced" hydro system with the pump being driven directly off the motor and the hydro motor being mounted to the transmission with a set of steel lines coupled to the pump to drive the unit. They called it the "in-line power train". They also had 2 hydraulic spool valves, 1 controlled the mid implement lift and 1 for the rear 3 point. There was a actually provisions to disconnect the rear rubber lines from the steel lines and use the spool valve to power rear mounted implements. Through the years there were improvements but the tractors were basically the same. In 1976 they improved the drive system by putting grade 8 bolts in the bull gear to help stop them from shearing off and damaging the transmission when they fell into it and also by putting an external brake band to aid the transmission's hydraulic braking with mechanical braking. 1974 brought the D-160 which was Onan Powered, and the D180 and 200 which were powered by Kohler 482 and 532 engines respectively. 1975 was the last year for D-180 and in 1976 the folks in South Bend entered into and arrangement with Guttbrod from Germany. They had them build a tractor for them which they rebranded the Wheel Horse D-250, it was based on the Guttbrod 2500 and was Renault powered. The D160, 200 and 250 all continued until 1981 when they discontinued the D-160 and continued on with the D-200 and 250. In 1982 both tractors disappeard form the line up of machines and the D was replaced by the C-195 or "Super C" for 1982 and 1984. In 1983 there were no actual C-195s built but there were a few 1982 leftovers sold as 1983's 

• Like 5

JackC

Very nice 18 Automatic.  Speaking of loaders does anyone have any comparison information on the ARK versus the KWIK WAY?  I believe the KWIK WAY has a smaller bucket.  A loader, if you can find one, might run around $1,500.

• Like 1

JamesBe1

Nice tractor. 

Welcome to the Dysfunctional D Family.

• Like 1

brandonozz

Very nice looking tractor.  Maybe some day my 200 will look that good but that is a ways off - function before fashion!

Best part of the deal is the spare pump, transaxle and (hopefully) trans motor.  D's are a lot of fun!

• Like 1

jdog_kustoms

the 18 auto has a shorter sterring colum then the 74 and up d series and also the dash parts on the sides and the from 1/2 steel grillsurround/front hood mount is also shorter other then that the d series use the same parts

• Like 1

Cutlas3391

Thanks guys for the info!!!

rexman72

good luck with the Ds

Wheel Horse Kid

WOW! That 18 Auto sure is a nice one! Great Score!