Sign in to follow this  
WH-AG

701 Restoration Progress

Wheel Horse Kid

Looks like you are making some great progress!!! Keep up the good work!

JC 1965

I can't wait to see the tractor when it's done and back together. The 701 is one of my favorite tractors and looks like you are doing a great job. I know you will be very proud of that little tractor when it's finished.   :thumbs2:

WH-AG

Thanks guys! :thanks:  Heres some pics from yesterday and today...

In my dash i had some divets my dad checked it when it dried a little bit and he said they had mostly gone away.

post-9981-0-74025300-1374194311_thumb.jp

post-9981-0-93930800-1374194339_thumb.jp

post-9981-0-21099800-1374194351_thumb.jp

post-9981-0-19822500-1374194435_thumb.jp

WH-AG

My plan is when i reassemble my tractor that i will spray a final coat (not including the motor and wheels). Heres a few pictures of what i did over the past couple days. I need to have the 701 back together by Friday, so that i will be able to enter it in my fair.

post-9981-0-17247700-1374547166_thumb.jp

post-9981-0-77264300-1374547170_thumb.jp

Digger 66

I could not get the pictures to upload because they were too big, and i didnt know how to downsize them. So instead i uploaded alot of pictures to photobucket...

On most of the pieces in the picture i still have wet sand, put on another coat, and last put on a coat of clear.

http://s1198.photobucket.com/user/Austyn_Green/library/#/user/Austyn_Green/library/701?sort=3&page=1&_suid=137282797920501600917012368197

You already have the pics on Photo bucket , just paste the " direct link " code in the image box here.

Tankman

Looking gooooooooood!

Anticipation.........waitin' to see the Horse back up and wo......wo.......workin'! :ychain:

PS. The red 2x's look familiar. Where did you get 'em?

Jake Kuhn

Looking very good! 

WH-AG

Done! Got the best award you can get at the fair!Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by WH-AG
  • Like 1

horsesaver98

:woohoo:  that looks really good I am doing that next year on my 1054

rmaynard

I got a text from Austyn this evening that he had won Grand Champion at the Carroll County 4H Fair for his restored 701. I headed over to the show to see him and the 701.

post-2221-0-88842800-1374896049_thumb.jp

post-2221-0-78032400-1374896062_thumb.jp

post-2221-0-49934500-1374896075_thumb.jp

post-2221-0-70032900-1374896087_thumb.jp

post-2221-0-93459200-1374896099_thumb.jp

post-2221-0-90894900-1374896112_thumb.jp

post-2221-0-12194100-1374896126_thumb.jp

post-2221-0-82294200-1374896138_thumb.jp

post-2221-0-42656100-1374896151_thumb.jp

post-2221-0-65758800-1374896164_thumb.jp

GREAT JOB AUSTYN!!!

• Like 4

AMC RULES

Congratulations, very nicely done.    :greetings-clapyellow:

Wheel-N-It

Congratulations, very nicely done.    :greetings-clapyellow:

Same here Austyn!!! Thank you Bob for posting your pics of the 701.

Ken B

Awesome job!

dclarke

Congrats, Austyn. Outstanding job!  :thumbs:  :eusa-clap:

Jake Kuhn

Turned out awesome Austyn! Congrats on winning!

• Like 1

WH-AG

I may take the tractor up to the state fair! Thank you guys for the posts.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• oliver2-44
      By oliver2-44
      This one was on Marketplace for quite a while with a hefty price tag.  I ask if he was flexible on price, Nope.  After a quite a while longer same question before I made the drive.  Come on up, maybe we can make a deal.  The rest is history, I didn't steal it, but I'm happy with the deal!
      Ya I know you want pictures, but there a little more interesting back story.  His granddad's business was Nicholson Machine and Equipment and he was a Wheelhorse Dealer in the 50's and 60's in Paris....., Tx  that is!  He sent me this picture of the glass window from the door to the business that he has framed.  

He also wrote me a short note about his Granddad's business.  So after his he passed, his dad gave the tractor to him. he's had it for quite a few years and said it's always been garage kept.

So if a Dealer owned this for his own use and never sold it, and then it passed to his Son, and then Grandson, that would technically make me the 1st buyer, 

Ok so on to some tractor photo's

beautiful double pulley belt guard front and center.  It starts with a spray of gas in the carb, but doesn't stay running.

All there, nice and original, you can see a weld repair on the front of the belt guard,

Here's the serial number @gwest_ca

The plastic dash is intact and not cracked!

My 1st old style split key.

it still has the orignal Silverton Ags. They hold air, but their so hard they probable don't need any.  I wonder if their hard because they might still have calcium chloride in them???

The hitch pin isn't frozen and the lift cable even works.

Interesting decal plastered across the front of the hood.

aluminum gas tank is fairly clean.

Hood bottom tab has been repaired.

topless view of the engine, needs a bath. The front tires are original and hold air, but have some splits across the thread.

Homemade choke and throttle cable bracket.  The base of the engine has wet oil, so i suspect it needs some gaskets.

Both axle seals are dry, but the input shaft and brake shaft seals leak.

I've learned if the top of the transmission is filthy oily, it probable means theirs water in the transmission that has floated the oil out.  This one is clean so hopefully that's a good sign.

Started some maintenance and a beautiful sight, not a drop of water, just black oil.  It shifts through the gears nicely so it will be interesting to see how it runs/drives.
      I'll gradually go all through it with my checklist.  701 Minor Overhaul Checklist.ods

Then have to decide if I rub it down with linseed oil like it is, or buff with some steel wool or wet sand to bring a little more red out, then oil. 
      How would ya'll put your finishing touches on it?

I'll update this thread as I do maintenance on it and get it running.

• Tinman1962
      By Tinman1962
      What color is this called n where can one buy some

• wh315-8
      By wh315-8
      So just picked up a 701, obviously the engine isn't right. I have a 7hp Kohler to put on and will put B&S on my Speedex. Anyone ever seen a post come out on the right from the rock shaft? It rotates with the lift handle and has no holes in it. It was done up well, almost looking factory.

• chompinthebit
      By chompinthebit
      Hi all,

i bought this 1961 701 in fall of 2018 and restored it. I completed it in fall of 2019 and I wanted to show some pictures of before during and after I got it done. I did my research and tried to make this tractor as close to original as possible. The few exceptions are tires, wiring and the steering support. Not a perfect tractor but sure is nice enough for me. 

all stainless hardware
      Rustolium stops rust Primer
      Rustolium Regal Red enamel paint
      powder coated wheels and seat
      Glenn Pettit Reproduction dash

• ToroMan
      By ToroMan
      Evening,

Looking for a known aftermarket paint brand and color number match for my Toro 520xi model #73542. Normally I would have the local auto paint store match a tractor part, but due to Covid, that's not an option right now. Was hoping someone can recommend a color they have used for the same tractor, as I've heard paint with the Toro label is a bad match.

Thanks!