Sign in to follow this  
stoneman

Sunstrand Interchangeability

stoneman

Hey Guys . . . I made an offer on a 74 C -160 today. The offer has a contingency, and I'm hoping I can have this figured out by tomorrow, and I'm hoping I can find my answer here. It's a nice tractor . . . 2 owners, and it's been stored inside for the last several years that I know of. Paints faded some, but no rust anywhere. The guys son took the deck to use on one of his tractors, and it's outside rotting away with bad spindles. But . . . It has a very nice plow, and wheel weights. Engine runs strong with no smoke or unusual noise. He told be he'd have to get 450.00 out of it, but it has a bad pump. : (   5 minutes later, I told him I'd stop by occasionally to see if he'd softened up on it at all. Then he said to make him an offer. So . . . I offered him 300.00, with the contingency, and he said "uhhh . . . OK." Now here's the thing that'l make or break it for me. I have a brand new rebuilt pump. Haven't picked it up yet, but I will in the next week or so. It's from a D series. Do they use the same pump exactly, but a different hydro drive motor? I'd like to have the C to use especially with my big snow thrower, (keep that left bicep the same size as the right) but if the pump doesn't work, I'd end up with more than I want to have in it. Appreciate the help. 

coldone

Im a D guy, but i bought a C pump and motor unit at a great price to see if they were similar. From what I can tell they are exactly the same. The difference is in how they are connected. The D has the manifold, the C the motor bolts directly to the pump. Same ports, same orings as the D. The sundstrand manual in the manual section shows how they go together.

I would drop the transaxle in the C, clean it out, pull the hydro motor and check it out too. Whatever goes into the pump goes into the motor. Clean everything, fresh filter, fresh oil. Dont put a rebuilt pump or motor on without doing this. Whatever took out the pump can still be in the system.

• Like 2