Sign in to follow this  
Rideawaysenior

Will it fit?????

Rideawaysenior

Ok. Here is an off the hip shot that I'm going to try to take and bring the D250 back to life. I over the past week was able to find a COntinental R-8 spec engine that was used in a TORO grounds master 327. Oddly enough this engine is very similar almost exact to the one used in the D250. Well, I bought the groundsmaster for $200.00. The engine runs rather well and has only 181 hours on it. The hydro pump went bad and the facility had opted to replace it. I'll be posting some pics but after measurement and a close eyeball look. The mouting bolts are the same. The only difference so far as I can tell is the timing chain cover is constructed to cover the crankshaft on the front. I matched up the cover fron the D250 and it is a perfect fit. Anyone ever try this before and have luck? I know it won't be original but thats ok. I want to use this machine it's a beast.

Jack

refracman

Jack

Got a friend with a 250 doing this transplant. He is using the old timing cover on the new engine and you good to go.

Sparky

I have no knowledge of how the D-250 is setup but I do wish you luck with it Jack. It seems like you have done your homework tho.

Mike.......

Docwheelhorse

Man A Continental engine would be the Cats Behind!!! Then you walk the Renault out to the back 40 and put one in the back of its head!! B)

Hope it works

Tony

Rideawaysenior

Ok, well here is the stumbeling block. I pulled the timing cover off the D250 series engine and the cover off the groundsmaster by Toro. :wtf: :banghead: The end of the drive shaft on the Toro is smooth, and the end of the shaft on the D250 is splined. I chipped the concrete floor in my garage when I threw my hammer that I was using to tap off the timing cover. I was really hoping that this was going to be easy. Now I need to either get a coupler machined for this, or have the old crank turned and do a complete rebuild on a perfectly good as is engine. I'm going to look into the coupler first and see what type of luck I have. Any suggestions are more then welcome let alone needed.

Jack

linen beige

Can you have splines machined into the Continental crank? :banghead: