Sign in to follow this  
posifour11

hydro cub?

posifour11

I know its been said that hydro wheel horses don't fair too well, but would a cub be any good?

I've been thinking of dabbling in pulls and have a 127 without a job. So, I thought I'd ask if its of Amy use to try.

Thanks

diesel cowboy

I've used several different cadets to pull various things with and have 2 with tillers and one with a loader.  They all seemed to do better than most of the other hydro tractors I've used.  I had a 129 with about 600 extra pounds on it including me and I pulled around 2900 lbs on a drag sled at a pull no problem.  And that was with a worn out engine that smoked like a chimney and made the tractor disappear in a cloud of smoke when I opened it up.     Stewart

Jim_M

We have at least one hydro hook to the sled every year, none of them have ever done anything impressive. I haven't seen a stock hydro tractor of any brand do well. There are some modifieds out there though that are a completely different story.

Edited by Jim_M

posifour11

Something hit me last night. I have an SS/18 out back that runs pretty good. I guess that would be better than the cub?

Jim_M

If it's a gear drive then I would say yes. In the stock classes those old sears can be pretty competitive.

chris11

I think your better off getting a 8 speed wheelhorse. The sears trans blow up

posifour11

Chris, I have lots of 8 speed wheel horses. Just afraid to tear them up. Guess I could give it a try...

I think I have a plan. Start with the cub and see if she goes. The sears if that doesn't work, then a wheel horse if that one kaboom.

Decent plan?

baerpath

Waste of time, just start with the C125 and sell the cub and Sears for money for tires and engine upgrades !

Or do like the guy's do around here that pull hydro's put a V8 on them http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGIHwV7P75o

posifour11

Duane, I have two C125s and they're both hydro. I have a 141 not doing much these days though

baerpath

The 141 would be the one to use.  But it also depends on the club your looking to pull with what hp you want to use.

Fast N Red

there is a kid in my club i pull with with a 16hp k341 hydro cub he does pretty good