Sign in to follow this  
Jake in NC

414-8 noise when engaging mower

Jake in NC

I am new to the WH and have had this tractor about a year and it runs great. When I engage the mower it sounds like a bearing noise on the right side where the pulley mounts to the engine. Is this common or is it a bearing Terri g ready to fail? If so where do I but one and is it a big job to replace.

Thanks

Marv

Jake it sounds like the bearing in the end of the PTO is going. That bearing is the one the Hoop pushes against when the PTO ie engaged. It is not difficult to replace it. you can get one from Toro. You can probably get it from parts tree also.

Marvin

dsholler

I would see if you can reproduce the noise by hand, so you can see which bearing it is... there are two in the PTO< although the front one is the one that usually goes.. you may want to put a bit of grease (and possibly a new oil seal) on the rear one...

I had a situation where the grease had come out of the rear one and splashed on the driven disk (OK I kinda overdid it) , so it slipped when you first engaged it and made a noise.. (brake cleaner and a new oil seal took care of that) ..

ALso, make sure the things is actually engaged... another common problem when the bearing gets bad is that the stub shaft starts to slip..what you are hearing as bearing noise might be the PTO bell not fully pressed against the driven disk and slipping, because the c-clip that holds the stub shaft in place has popped out of the groove.

gwest_ca

The 109842 Toro pto end bearing is Napa 7-04250, Rotary 484, Stens 230-033, Stens HD 230-037, Napa 7-04250, Fafnir 204RR6, Generic 9504AB

Garry