Sign in to follow this  
Anglo Traction

Mower Deck Roller Diameter needed

Anglo Traction

Dear All,

Being the owner of a good solid 36" Rear Discharge Deck in line for refurbishment, it has a defect!. The Single Roller at the front is worn down to less than 1.1/2" dia?.

Just wondered if anyone who happens to be walking past theirs with some Callipers in their hand, can let me know just what the unworn Dia should be?.

I can lay my hands on 60mm dia Black Nylon rod and machine one up if it is pretty close . Thanks in anticipation.

fordsonmajortom

Hi Richard ,

Just measured mine and they come out at 62 to 63 mm od. Bearing in mind they are well worn . Another one measured 67mm . Hope that helps

Michael

gwest_ca

If the original part number was 5240 Toro has replaced it with 94-1599. Found this and almost missed it because they wrote 941599.

https://www.bantasaw.com/catalog/viewproduct.asp?i=&p=1981

This is a Stens dealer in Canada

Garry

Adding

Toro also replaced roller number 108798 with the current 94-1599

Anglo Traction

Thanks Michael and Garry,

Reckon I've got some flexibility there, maybe a tad larger dia Rod is called for.  Still need to ID the deck (no info on it). 

Thought about buying a new Plastic one for about 3 seconds and decided I can make a solid one for less money.

Regards

wheeledhorseman

What looks like it's from the same aftermarket manufacturer is available in the UK

http://www.centralspares.co.uk/product/3-deck-wheel.aspx

As far as I can tell based on the NOS deck I converted for my D, the OEM roller has a uniform cylindrical cross section though.

gallery_4509_190_215695.jpg

I can measure one of the rollers if you need me to Richard.

Andy

Anglo Traction

What looks like it's from the same aftermarket manufacturer is available in the UK

http://www.centralspares.co.uk/product/3-deck-wheel.aspx

As far as I can tell based on the NOS deck I converted for my D, the OEM roller has a uniform cylindrical cross section though.

I can measure one of the rollers if you need me to Richard.   Andy

They look just like.... what I reckon...... mine used to look like Andy. There must be/have been several styles from what I have seen so far.

If your able , I would be interested and grateful to know :thumbs: . Nice deck by the way. Reckon mine is a 5-36MR02. I'll know for sure when I strip out one of the Spindles. Your deck look's real good,

Regards.    

wheeledhorseman

I'll put it on my list for tomorrow Richard. The deck should look good it was a brand spanking new old stock deck for a 500 series. I'd just added a standard hanging frame and fabbed the special front bar for a D when the previous pic was taken. Once the standard frame had been refurbed and painted the finished deck looked like this.

gallery_4509_190_283328.jpg

gallery_4509_190_87866.jpg

I left the brackets for the wider 500 series hanging frame as they're welded to the shell. Most of the 'shiny shiny' paint is of course original but I think the conversion came out looking reasonably professional.

Odd thing is that by the time this deck was being made the heavy duty metal wheels had been replaced by the smaller diameter plastic type. If it weren't for the cost of shipping them over I'd have replaced them for the metal type even though these plastic ones are effectively new. Have to draw the line somewhere though.

Andy

Don1977

I had my neighbor turn mine out of Dogwood and we put brass bushings in them. Some of them have been on the base 6 or 7 years. I did soak them in oil for a week before installing them on the deck. I use to bust a least one of the Toro plastic ones every year. You could also make them out of a good tight grained oak ( what we call post oak over here). Mine where made 3" in diameter they just miss the 3/8" rod I welded around the base to reinforce the deck. you might also notice the angle iron reinforcing on the back of the deck where the deck had cracked at the lift points. Welded up the cracks added the angle and some plates under the deck.  There were two plates already there can't remember if they under the lift point or the height adjustment attachment.

IMGP1677.jpg

Anglo Traction

Thanks Don, Nice Deck work..... Yep, thought about wood also. None suitable to hand at the mo'. Although I do know a few Wood Turners who make the Rollers for Old Reel (cylinder) Mowers etc.  ..... Hope your neighbour :chores-chopwood: used the leftover Dogwood n shavings on the BBQ like they do in Texas! :flags-texas: .

Regards

wheeledhorseman

I've measured the rollers on a couple of decks and it came out as  2 3/8 diameter that's on the NOS 500 series RD deck that hasn't actually been used for mowing yet and a late 80s RD deck that had the rollers and shafts changed for OEM parts just before I got it and they haven't worn out of shape yet.

My older 80s decks have rollers with plain (square profile) ends but the 500 series rollers are rounded off slightly presumably a later improvement to reduce the inevitable scuffing. The 500 series rollers are also fitted with white nylon bushings with a flange that rubs against the mounting brackets.

Now here's the twist - looked up my 80s deck on the Toro site which appears to show rollers like the aftermarket profile so maybe Toro did use that pattern for a while.

Hope this helps.

Andy

Anglo Traction

Hi Andy, Thanks very much for that :bow-yellow:  . Reckon 2.3/8" and 60 mm is 'As near as damn it', so I'll knock up a Nylon one that size for flat close cut and a wooden one about 3" dia for slight undulating Fairway grade lawn...should not be much risk of scalping with a 36" Deck :pray:  

meadowfield

My older 80s decks have rollers with plain (square profile) ends but the 500 series rollers are rounded off slightly presumably a later improvement to reduce the inevitable scuffing. The 500 series rollers are also fitted with white nylon bushings with a flange that rubs against the mounting brackets.

Hope this helps.

Andy

Interesting that the rollers on the 71 lawn ranger use nylon 'top hat style bushes'. I imagined they would all have been bushed...

Mark