Sign in to follow this  
slammer302

7 hp k161 runs after shut off

slammer302

Motor trys to keep running after shut off

wheeledhorseman

Do you have a magneto ignition i.e no battery or conventional 12 volt ignition coil? If so I guess the problem lies in the 'kill' wiring.

To stop a magneto ignition engine the points are effectively short circuited to prevent any further sparks at the spark plug.

On Kohler K engines this was achieved either by a 'stop' button on the points cover or a wire leading from the points to the ignition switch in which case when the switch is in the off / stop position the wire is effectively grounded either through the casing of the switch or via a tab connector which is visibly connected to the switch casing.

I have had ignition switches play up and not ground the kill wire or the fault could be in the wiring. Hope this helps a little. Sorry I can't be more specific but you havent mentioned the WH model or 'spec' for the Kohler engine.

Andy

Lane Ranger

Andy:  Describes it well but having a Kohler 7HP is a dream motor!    Is it recoil star or electric with a battery and key switch?  

slammer302

It has starter generator it acts like its desiling after shut off

wheeledhorseman

'Dieseling' or 'pinking' after turning an engine off and where it tries to continue to run is usually associated with glowing carbon material in the combustion chamber i.e the head needs decarbonising.

slammer302

I will clean the head

WH nut

'Dieseling' or 'pinking' after turning an engine off and where it tries to continue to run is usually associated with glowing carbon material in the combustion chamber i.e the head needs decarbonising.

Also check and make sure you are at idle when you shut it down, it should idle a little less than 1000rpm

MrTrimmier

Seafoam that sucker!

Mike

VinsRJ

And most people complain that the can't keep their motor running... LOL! :happy-jumpeveryone:

• Like 1

slammer302

Lol