6wheeler

Sweet potatoes

6wheeler

Anyone ever plant them? I put the slips in and they look fine. But, I don't know what to do with them. I am shootin' from the hip on these. Do I need to hill them? Its been hot and wet up here and I guess they like that because they are growing!!!!! Any help will be appreciated.     Pat

6wheeler

Thanks Garry. If all goes well? We will have sweet potatoes :greetings-clappingyellow: .

persof

post-2413-0-69949000-1387398618_thumb.jpMy neighbor gave me a sweet potato slip that grew into a huge vine covering 8'x10'.  In the early fall I dug up 50lbs of sweet potato's that tasted GREAT.  I do not know what variety.

Thanks

Francis

• Like 2

brandonozz

Glad they grew for you.  I grew my first potatoes this past year but it won't be my last.  Pretty good harvest for the amount of room i used.  I'm planning on growing some sweet potatoes next year as well.  I know my kids sure like them!

• Like 1

kaiser

don't sweet potatoes need a really long growing season? i thought i read that somewhere. like only the southern states are viable areas to grow them.

Kennedy

don't sweet potatoes need a really long growing season? i thought i read that somewhere. like only the southern states are viable areas to grow them.

When my dog doesn't dig them up they grow quite well here in Northern Ohio. My sister had one about the size of a football last year, it weighed 5 lbs. If I can find the picture of it at my moms I will post it.

brandonozz

When my dog doesn't dig them up they grow quite well here in Northern Ohio. My sister had one about the size of a football last year, it weighed 5 lbs. If I can find the picture of it at my moms I will post it.

I'm with you Kennedy,

I had to fence in my garden to keep the dogs out - digging, pooping and trampling had to be controlled.  It doesn't help that while tecnically he is a dog, when most people first see him they think he is a horse.

• Like 1

6wheeler

don't sweet potatoes need a really long growing season? i thought i read that somewhere. like only the southern states are viable areas to grow them

Mine grew ok. Not a bumper crop by any means. We have to get them in the ground as soon as we can this year. I have learned a few more things about them for this year. We are working on sprouting now. If I can? I will try to get them into the ground earlier by "Hot Spotting". I read an article by this fella from Alaska That grows them up there. He hot spots  the ground As soon as the ground temp starts to warm, cut a piece of black plastic app. 5' square. Stake it down and the sun creates a hot spot on the ground. After a couple of days? Cut a slit in the plastic and plant the sweet potato slips. You can either leave the plastic on (as he does) or remove it after all danger of frost is gone. Also, the potatoes have to be cured after harvest. They have to be cured in 75 to 90 degree temps out of sunlight for several days to "skin" them so the will keep over winter.

Kennedy
Here is the picture of the sweet potato I mentioned earlier. It weighed in around 5 lbs. That is not me in the picture just a friend of the family.

specialwheelhorse

I'm going thru vardeman ms. In abou a month and

Will stop there and get a pickup load of sweet potatoes

They raise 1000s of acres there and the last I got

We're 60 dollars a pickup load we give them to everyone

We know.