nylyon

Updated! WHCC and RedSquare

nylyon

Oh...  and to put my money where my mouth is, my membership to the club is in the mail!

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Joined up at the show this year too Karl...

can't do that on their website, or I already would have been a member long ago.  

VinsRJ

I have to be honest... I did hear grumbling amoung individuals and thier feelings that there was/is a coma-dairng of the show by RS members.

Now don't attack the messenger, I'm just saying, do what ever you want with information RS members.

****The individuals, who I do not know their names, were the two vendors with the flat bed trailers just to the left of the first two vender barns.

Edited by VinsRJ

AMC RULES

Like they don't want us there Vin? 

rmaynard

I spoke personally with Jeff Kane, former president of the club. The club does realize that RedSquare is an important part of the whole Wheel Horse hobby, The club is looking for ways to increase membership, and realizes that RedSquare can be a big help to that effort. As a result, the RedSquare group picture will actually be printed on the events schedule next year. 

• Like 5
  • Excellent 3

SousaKerry

did hear grumbling amoung individuals and thier feelings that there was/is a coma-dairng of the show by RS members.

We are all keeping the Wheel Horse legend alive and well no matter what website we frequent. 

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

I joined the WHCC after your message Karl.  The good that bad and the ugly exist in both groups.  Welcome to the members!

nylyon

I won't compare the WHCC and RedSquare, and I support both.  I don't know who made the comments to Vin, but comments like that are usually based out of fear, but fear of what I don't know.

RedSquare fully supports the efforts of the WHCC and the annual show.  Our members are Wheel Horse enthusiasts FIRST, with RedSquare acting as a medium to share and exchange information.  We advertise, support, and encourage attendance at the collectors club show, and I have to believe that through these efforts, attendance at the event has increased NOT decreased.  The posting of pictures (enabled for guests to see as well) and open discussion of the events, who is there, the fun being had etc reaches thousands of people around the world, not just RedSquare members.

The purpose of this post was to show support for the Wheel Horse Collectors Club and the show that they provide, not to divide the Wheel Horse community.

There are people out there, Wheel Horse collectors, who are upset that the hobby has grown as it has, and for them RedSquare is not the place.  My question to the people making the comments is simple....  What are you doing to promote the hobby?

The WHCC website is an informational site and not intended to be a forum (or at least as far as I am aware).  I have no knowledge of the inner workings of the club, except to say they put on a great show which I hope every RedSquare member attends while wearing their RedSquare hat!

Oh... fyi, the WHCC does not have an on-line membership application, there is a link to a form which you need to print out and supply your name, address, phone number and of course a check for $10.  I encourage everyone to support the club!

• Like 7

Zeek

:text-yeahthat: Nice level-headed post Karl.

• Like 2

squonk

I think Karl hit the nail on the head. I'm sure there some club members who feel the show has almost gotten to big. Let's face it, it easier to put on a show with 100 tractors and 500 people visiting as opposed to 800 tractors and 1500 people attending.

I was talking to Bob and Craig on Friday night during dinner. I said The tractors were only a small part of the reason I attended. The main reason is all the great people on Red Square. How else would a bunch of "grown ups" get all wound up and excited about driving half way across the country and attending a tractor show. I have a family reunion next month and attending the show felt like the same thing to me. I dare say without Red Square I wouldn't attend the show unless I had to to try to buy some much needed replacement parts. The friends I've made make me want to attend and I'm all ready planning next year's trip.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

DoctorHfuhruhurr

I bet this has a lot to do with the lack of growing membership.  I can't remember the last time I used snail mail for anything.  Maybe you (or someone) could suggest how to set up an online payment.  PayPal is very common and fairly easy to set up.  If they don't like the fee's they could just add them on to the price.  I doubt it would stop anyone from joining for 80 cents more (or whatever it would be). 

• Like 3

AMC RULES

Gotta be easier than ol' snail male.   :) 

KC9KAS

In my opinion, someone that is a WHCC member but not a RS member feels threatened because of our "closeness" to one-another.

Our forum has allowed this friendship, and ability to help one-another with questions/answers/parts and other WH related matter.

My guess would be that if WHCC had a forum like RS, 75-80% of the RS members would be on WHCC also. I doubt that anyone from WHCC feels RS is taking over their show.....unless you guys around the campfire had too much fun!  :twocents-02cents:

• Like 2

neil

Does anyone know where the members of WHCC do their communicating or share their pics & information  ?

rmaynard

They used to post pictures on their website but have not done it for a while. Communicate? I don't think they do. Only the board of directors talk, and that is by phone, email, and meetings. The members communicate via RedSquare, other WH forums, and other tractor forums. The forum part of the WHCC website never got off the ground. Paypal for dues was discussed, but no one wanted to take the initiative to actually put it in place.

Ken B

I'd be more than happy to pay membership dues right at the gate next yr. when I pull in if they should ask! It only cost 20 bucks to camp at the show for two nights and enjoy all of the festivities! Talk about the deal of a lifetime! To pay another ten bucks to help support WHCC would be an honor.

• Like 3

nylyon

I'm sure that the Board is looking at this post and I hope that they read it as constructive and not as a complaint, because it isn't a complaint at all.  Everyone wants the WHCC to be successful and continue with the Annual show.  In my opinion, it would be a mistake for them to have a forum, and not because of anything to do with RedSquare.  Once you open the doors to thousands of members, by default you begin to solicit opinions on how things should be (see this thread) and ultimately will cause conflicts amongst the members.  As I know full well, you can't have 8,000 - 10,000 people all agree on anything.  Even if RedSquare had an annual show, after a while the original members would be upset with the evolution, while the newer members would think it's great.  I see it everyday with the forum itself so a show would be no exception.

While I don't know all that happens during the meetings or what else they offer other than the show (there's my suggestion for the WHCC) having a very small handful of people making decisions on a show then putting out the information is far more effective to gather the masses.  Making membership easier would greatly enhance their revenue.  I could put a poll up, but I'd be willing to bet that for every 10 RedSquare members who visited their website *maybe* 1 filled out the membership application and sent it in.  Had a simple on-line form been available, with pay through PayPal been available I would bet that number would be closer to 3 to 5.  The added volume MORE than makes up for the PayPal fees.  I know that I would have been a member long ago if there was an on-line form.

As for their website, I have no issues with discussing other websites or forums EXCEPT in a negative light.  Voicing a recommendation to enhance the site is fine, but we continue to support WHCC and ALL other forums / websites which promote Wheel Horse and Garden Tractors.  RedSquare is an offering for people to visit, we are NOT in competition with any forum or website. I have very strong opinions on how a forum should be managed, and I act on that. For the WHCC site I highly respect the man who has put it together and am 100% certain that he can make any of the technical changes if requested.  He is a highly respected member here, and I was very glad to meet him this past Saturday.  

I am fully aware of the size and reach that RedSquare has in the Wheel Horse community.  5 years ago, I am sure that at the show if you mentioned RedSquare, people said who?  Now I would be surprised if you heard, RedSquare what?  So the intent of this post was to avoid any confusion regarding the show as a RedSquare event, because we have grown so large and to insure that the Wheel Horse Collectors Club continues to receive FULL credit for the organization of the event and the membership to insure its continuation. 

• Like 9

Wheel-N-It

I attended the Show (this year) for the first time. After learning there was not an entry fee, and seeing first hand how much work and planning went in to putting on such an event, I became a proud member of the WHCC. I will encourage all RS members who attend the big show but are not members of the WHCC to support them by also becoming a member of their club.

• Like 4

Martin

Like Karl mentioned, make it easier to join and people will join. I've tried in the past and went back again the other day, but still no online way to join. "Coming soon" is all that is mentioned.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

neil

i also tried to join  afew times but didnt because it wasnt online membership.

I do hope they change it as i would like to become a member

leeave96

FWIW - one of the things I really appreciate about the Wheelhorse tractor community (at least from my experience), all the way back to the yahoo Wheelhorse forum and the early days of the WH Show is how pleasant the chat regarding these tractors has been.  I really appreciate all sources that support these old tractors, WHCC, Red Square, Yahoo WH forum, etc.  They all make for a fun ownership experience.

With my other color tractors, I have found that sometimes, tempers are just below the surface and pop-up from time to time - and they can get pretty ugly.  I am very grateful the Wheelhorse community is so friendly, easy going and easy to get along.  I haven't (and hope I never) encountered any "who struck John" in my years of posting/participating.  It makes for a truly fun hobby.

Thanks!

Bill

• Like 1

Zeek

I attended the Show (this year) for the first time. After learning there was not an entry fee, and seeing first hand how much work and planning went in to putting on such an event, I became a proud member of the WHCC. I will encourage all RS members who attend the big show but are not members of the WHCC to support them by also becoming a member of their club.

Glad to have you there . . . it was good to meet you and hang out a bit!  I especially enjoyed the "parts" you brought :cool:

Edited by Zeek
  • Like 2

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat:  Mmm, mmm, the best part Van brought tasted just like homemade peach candy.    :bow-blue: 

Edited by MAYHEM '13
  • Like 4

jay in nc

i have been a member of the W.H.C.C. for over 12 years. long before i even had a computer. when i go to the show i renew my membership. it runs june to june. if i dont go to the show i send a check. One day there i wear my whcc hat with the badges ETC.  including my redsquare button,thanks terry. the other day ill wear my redsquare hat.  i have also bought decals from both mahewes and redoyour horse and bought parts from just about everyone including the guy in the polkadot hat, thanks glenn. i support the hobby & everyone in it.  jay in nc.

• Like 9