COCOPOT

New member in Spain - wheel horse 702

COCOPOT

Hi again Fito, I have obtained Parts and Service Manuals etc for you. I you send me a PM with your E-mail, I will forward them on to you. They are PDF Files.

EDIT.......Probably easier for you to download them from the Manuals section here, but I have one for your engine. 

Regards

Hi Anglo,

Thank you for your support =) I will appreciate if you can send me the engine manual. It will be very useful to identify parts. I am trying to find the courage to unmount the carburetor by myself... this will be funny to see.

I am sending you my email via PM

^___^

COCOPOT

sounds like lack of fuel - not sure which engine you have, it could be the fuel pump (if it has one) or the jets are blocked in the main needle. There are a few tiny pin holes that can be clogged, they must be clean straight through.

mark

Hi Mark,

Yes, it seems to be lack of fuel, but I don´t know the reason =( I am not very good in mechanics...

The 702 I own has a 9hp Kholer motor, there is no gas pump. Fuel goes through the sediment cup and then by the gas pipe into a what seems to be a little filter, then through one metallic pipe inside the carburetor.

I think I must find the nerve to face it and try to fix it, o at least to determine if it is necessary to change the carburetor as the mechanic said.

Thank you for your help!

COCOPOT

is the carb getting enough fuel? anyway did you take it apart yourself, or just the mechanic that said scrap it?

Hi Plowerpower,

Thank you for your help, this will be the first thing I will check before looking for a new carburetor. The mechanic told me to scrap it, I didn´t dare to take it apart because there is a high risk that I will not be able to mount it again! =)

but now I will try, promise!

Anglo Traction

Hi Fito ,

The original engine fitted to your Tractor should have been a K161 (7hp)- Specification number 28622E. It may have been replaced, so check the ID Plate.

It sounds like the Throttle Shaft in your Carburettor is very worn and is causing the bad running.

The Kohler Carburettor fitted to the original engine is Part Number 41 053 13.  A new equivalent one (Walbro) can be purchased here in UK, but expensive.

Regards

JamesBe1

Welcome to Red Square.  I miss Valencia, having been there many times. (I spent a summer there one weekend!)

I am not surprised that parts are hard to come by in your part of the world.  Many members find parts (mostly used) on ebay.  Unfortunately, I am sure that most of the parts you will find there are in the US.  Shipping might be costly.  I am sure that a new carburator would not be cheap even if you could find one.  You might consider using a rebuild kit on the carb before replacing it. 

Good luck, and keep us informed of your progress.  Post lots of pictures.

SousaKerry

Not to hijack the thread but there is a very famous story involving Wheel Horse and Spain from about 1958-59 or so.  It seems that several of the early 1958 RJ-58 tractors were shipped there to be used to plow farm fields.  Those early tractors had a welded steel axle and apparently the axles were breaking due to the rough service.  Cecil Pond the Owner and co-founder of Wheel Horse flew personally to Spain to see the problem first hand.  From this was developed the cast iron front axle which was used on all Wheel Horses built afterwards. 

It would be really interesting if one of these tractors could be found. 

• Like 1

CasualObserver

I've said that for years and never gotten a single reply.

via Tapatalk 4 beta

meadowfield

They never existed... The front axles were all broken :p

COCOPOT

Well, there was an extra front axle when I bought the 702, it was strange to me in the first time but I thought it was a replacement part. I have it stored and I will upload some pictures. There is also three tools to plug in the back and plow fields, will upload pictures.

We are moving our bussines to a new place and I have a lot of work!

AMC RULES

Yes please.   :wwp:

svcabre
Hello Fito and Hi everyone! 

Mi name is Sergi from Pradell de la Teixeta, Catalonia, Spain and I'm a recently user of Red Square. 

These days I've been looking for some kind of forum or association of people who collections Wheel Horse tractors. And luckily I found this.

I have a original Wheel Horse tractor 702 too. This tractor was bought by my grandfather in 1964 and used it to go to the field and bring them home with hazelnuts harvested at that time. I have some letters that he received from the company that imported tractors to Spain. This is called Coprima LTD and was in Madrid. However he bought the tractor to local reseller here in Tarragona.

The engine fitted in this Tractor is a K161 (7hp).

I attach some photos of my wheel horse. Seeing as tractors are after restorations I think maybe also have to do something with my own.

Thank you all for your time and dedication!

Sergi.

post-11483-0-02573000-1377358429.jpg post-11483-0-61669100-1377358430.jpg

post-11483-0-09548700-1377358432.jpg post-11483-0-37122900-1377358431_thumb.j 

post-11483-0-36855600-1377358530.jpg post-11483-0-40363600-1377358589.jpg
  • Like 1

COCOPOT

Hi Sergi and wellcome to the forum =)

I answered to your PM, nice 702 you have there!

JamesBe1

Welcome to Red Square Sergi!  Feel free to ask any questions that you may have.  The members here are very knowledgeable and informative (with the exception of myself).

Nice tractor.

j

Anglo Traction

:text-coolphotos: Sergi   :WRS: , Great to have another Euro Member.  Looking at your pictures, I would just clean it and keep it the way it is. Great little Tractor.  Enjoy.  

nylyon

Welcome, please take a moment (if you haven't already) to put yourself on the map 

It's very beneficial when trying to find someone in your area!

COCOPOT

Hi everyone!

I have been very busy the last two months and I didn´t have the time to write or to make any progress in my 702, until monday... and at least, I have good news!!

As the gas problems persisted, I decided to unmount the carb myself to clean it, but I discovered that it was the cleanest thing I´ve ever seen. No dirty, dust... nothing, it´s like new so I decided to mount it again and, following your advices, I decided to bypass the sediment cup and feed it directly from a bottle into the pump. It worked like a charm! I was able to make my first ride with no incidents ^___^

For sure the carb needs to be properly adjusted, I made several tests and the best working configuration is (Top screw = 3+1/4 turns), (Side screw = 1+1/2 turns). Now it´s working with choke adjustment to normal position (open).

Now, as it was my first ride and mine is the unique wheel horse I´ve ever seen in my life (remember, this is Spain), I have some questions to know if it´s working properly. It would be great if you can help me here, it´s like driving an UFO =)

- The first question is: It´s better to first adjust desired throttle and then release the clutch or is it better to first release clutch and then start adjusting throttle from idle?

- I have noticed that when ongoing in large gear, revolutions keeps stable for a while but after two or three minutes revolutions increases a lot. Is this normal?

- How can I know the normal or acceptable revs to work? I am afraid of damage motor if I am over revolutions.

thank you for your support!

SousaKerry

I usually start out at a fast idle and increase throttle as I go just to decrease the wheelie factor.

It sounds as if you may have a governor issue, check the linkages carefully to make sure they are moving easily without binding.  It may be that the governor is not connected properly also.  Post a few pictures of the throttle and governor linkage and we can tell you if everything looks correct.

The best way to check for proper RPM is with a Tachometer,  the engine should not go over 3700 RPM

• Like 1

svcabre

Hi everyone!

These summer holidays I've been searching the internet for some spare parts for my Wheel Horse.

- New air filter

- New seat cover

- New choke and throttle cables.

But I have a question about what kind of battery should I buy to put the original compartment. If you look at the pictures I published the last post you'll see that the battery I have now is not the original and is not in place.

I've been looking and I think maybe this could be a good model ... but I'm not sure. Will have enough strength to pull the tractor?

Varta Funstart Freshpack 12N24-4 12V  24ah  200A
size:
Length [mm]: 186
Width [mm]: 125
Height [mm]: 178

COCOPOT

I usually start out at a fast idle and increase throttle as I go just to decrease the wheelie factor.

It sounds as if you may have a governor issue, check the linkages carefully to make sure they are moving easily without binding.  It may be that the governor is not connected properly also.  Post a few pictures of the throttle and governor linkage and we can tell you if everything looks correct.

The best way to check for proper RPM is with a Tachometer,  the engine should not go over 3700 RPM

Hi Kerry,

Thank you for your advices, very usefull information :) I finally got it working, the problem was in the sediment cup, it was not giving enough fuel to carburetor. I decided to first clean it and finally to remove it completly. I have installed a fuel filter in pipe.

I made a video when I had problems, maybe you can see it to check if the governor is connected properly. Now it is working fine but moves a little hard. Here is the link:

thank you¡

COCOPOT

Hi everyone!

These summer holidays I've been searching the internet for some spare parts for my Wheel Horse.

- New air filter

- New seat cover

But I have a question about what kind of battery should I buy to put the original compartment. If you look at the pictures I published the last post you'll see that the battery I have now is not the original and is not in place.

I've been looking and I think maybe this could be a good model ... but I'm not sure. Will have enough strength to pull the tractor?

size:

Hi Svcabre,

Good to know you are making advances¡ I installed a Varta A14 battery, it is used for japanesse cars so it is smaller, but not enough. It was difficult to insert in place and de directon gear is touching it so I had to make a metallic part to protect it. I have picturespost-10888-0-10777000-1382259831_thumb.jpost-10888-0-10777000-1382259831_thumb.jpost-10888-0-10777000-1382259831_thumb.j

Hi everyone!

- New air filter

- New seat cover

size:

Hi Svcabre,

Good to know you are making advances¡ I installed a Varta A14 battery, it is used for japanesse cars so it is smaller, but not enough. It was difficult to insert in place and de directon gear is touching it so I had to make a metallic part to protect it. I have picturespost-10888-0-10777000-1382259831_thumb.jpost-10888-0-10777000-1382259831_thumb.jpost-10888-0-10777000-1382259831_thumb.j

post-10888-0-55452500-1382259748_thumb.j

svcabre

I also Installed the new Battery and it fits exactly!! And is good enough to start the engine.

post-11483-0-49165600-1382261883_thumb.j

Edited by svcabre

Trouty56

I also Installed the new Battery and it fits exactly!! And is good enough to start the engine.

Cool....I was just checking to see if these measurements were about what we use and was just about ready to hit the send when your reply popped up.  Glad it fit and you are happy!!!  :)

Edited by Trouty56

Trouty56

Cocopot....If I were you I would look to find a shorter battery so it doesn't have to tilt like that.  Vibration could cause the case to crack and leak acid. Maybe look into what Sergi used.  Just worried a bit for you.

Edited by Trouty56

C-101plowerpower

Well, there was an extra front axle when I bought the 702, it was strange to me in the first time but I thought it was a replacement part. I have it stored and I will upload some pictures. There is also three tools to plug in the back and plow fields, will upload pictures.

We are moving our bussines to a new place and I have a lot of work!

i wonderd if we still get those pics, haha. anyway nice to see some updates on this one

GlenPettit

Hey Svcarbe:

When you take and post some more pictures, can you include one of your dash panel?

What you have on there looks a lot like what's on the 1961 tractor, the Model #701 dash

(an Ivory colored plastic dash), I would just like to see it (I thought they were only on the 701 model).

If it is plastic, was it painted reddish? 

Thanks in advance,  Glen

Edited by GlenPettit