Sign in to follow this  
over60pirate

Cleaning grass from deck

over60pirate

Just wondering how many people cut the grass when it's wet?

The reason I ask, is, I've read a number of posts, about coatings to keep grass from sticking to the underside of the deck.

I never cut wet grass, and never have anything stick to the deck. I get a lot of grass on top of it, but not any under it. It's a RD 42" deck on a 414-8 

leeave96

I've cut a lot of grass when it's wet.  I also have a 42 inch RD deck - great for mowing and sweeping at the same time, wet or dry grass.

The best deal, IMHO, is to mow when it's dry.  I try to coat my deck underside every year with slip plate to hold down the build-up and keep a painted surface under the deck.  For the top, I blow off the deck with a leaf blower.

However, there are places in my yard where it is still damp long after other yards have turned brown from the August drought and heat.  I guess the water table is just close to the surface in those places.  Also, sometimes when you get home from the salt mine, just as you pull into the driveway, a thunderstorm hits and gets everything wet.  Late evening brings dew, so again, you got wet clippings.

I know a lot of folks wash out their decks, but I don't - just don't have time and my back in it's older age, ain't ready to wrestle off a deck and scrape it but once a year.  So what I do is - first, mow when it's dry if I can.  I coat the deck with slip plate over the winter and here lately I've been trying to stock up on some spare decks.  If you are going to rust out a deck - as I believe I will do, then I feel the need to have a spare or two on hand.

Good luck,

Bill

• Like 1

Hydro

I have a 48" SD.  I do not have the luxury of always being able to cut dry grass.  I used to have a 42" RD but with an acre and a half I opted for a bigger tractor and a wider cut.  Grass holds up underneath.  Like Bill I'm not into taking the deck off everytime I use it.  I try to drive the tractor up on something so I can get under it with a wrecking bar and scrape the lumps away cleaning off the spindle housings.  I do this after every 2-3 cuts.  You can see the difference it make in the discharge. 

I usually pull the deck mid summer for service and a real good cleaning.  I also oil it with used oil in the fall, spring and mid summer during the service.  It's a 97 with 400+ hours and still in really great shape.

dsholler

Every time I change the oil, I take the deck off, scrape the old clippings off, and paint the bottom of the deck with the used motor oil. (and run a file over the blades, just for fun)... I mow whenever I have the time, wet or dry, so there is usually some stuff stuck there. Service interval is about 4 mowings. The bottom is never clean, but heck, it is a lawnmower, that is what it is supposed to do.
I do know that some of the newer decks on other brands have a hose fitting on the top that you can attach a garden hose to and engage the deck, so the water splashes all around under there and cleans it out... I think I recall a thread here from a while ago where someone had done this to a WH deck.

DoctorHfuhruhurr

I put a fan near it to dry it out and cool it down and/or use an air compressor wand to blast out clippings. 

over60pirate

I think I will keep mowing just dry grass, as my deck looks new on the bottom. Of course I only have to mow 1/2 acre of grass, so I can stop if it starts to rain.

Stormin

Dry grass? I'm in the north of England. What's dry grass? I remove and clean my deck after every cut and coat the underside with old engine oil.

RMCIII

Wet or dry, clippings will still accumulate unless you do some treating or washing to the underside of the deck. Myself, I wax the underside, at least twice a season, and also use a product called Mo-Deck.. It does keep down the buildup and you will see a difference in how the clippings exit the deck with a side discharge deck. If the underside is not kept clean, it does reduce the "lift", in wet or dry, that the air creates under the deck.

• Like 1

RMCIII

I am sure others have very clean decks also, but here is a deck, that is 18 years old. Has been on this tractor since 1998. So, if you look to keep a clean, long lasting deck, wash, wax, polish and it may last 40 years.

post-10322-0-39403700-1371685957.jpg

qd-16

What works for me is a "mo-jack" lift.  This makes it easy to scrape and blow out the underside of the deck after every use.

953 nut

A few years back I sand blasted and primed the under side of one of my decks. I then sprayed "Plasti Dip Protective Coating" and nothing will stick to it. This product is made to coat tools such as pliers but it works well for :wh:  too.

:USA: 

Tankman

I always use my backpack blower after each use, to get loose grass.

Always try to mow when dry.

I have ramps that I drive up on and power wash the underside when required. Don't need it too often mowing dry. I vac the air screens after every use.

Winters the decks come off, plows go on for winter duty. At times, I use the plow during the summer to level some stone in my driveway. Deck is oiled and cleaned thoroughly when the deck is off.

A clean machine is a mean machine. :smile:

• Like 1

Hydro

Bottom line...don't leave the deck dirty for a prolonged period of time.

• Like 1

specialwheelhorse

I use Slip plate hookey gookey works good so far. I just turned a deck over to replace

Woodruff key on a forty year old deck I coated with SP two years ago and it looked like the day I coated it

No need to do anything to that, just one LITTLE wad of grass in the front middle.

Save a lot of work and do it right to begin with !!

dsholler

I use Slip plate hookey gookey works good so far. I just turned a deck over to replace

Woodruff key on a forty year old deck I coated with SP two years ago and it looked like the day I coated it

No need to do anything to that, just one LITTLE wad of grass in the front middle.

Save a lot of work and do it right to begin with !!

How long do you think it would take me to clean up a rather dirty 48 inch deck with some rust pitting on the bottom? (Just trying to figure out if i have to wait until fall to do this) ... also, did you use the regular slip plate, or the mowerguard stuff?

specialwheelhorse

DS :   I can't recall how long it took to clean up that bugger but it wasn't easy

And I just used the regular stuff from TSC and now that it's kind of coming back to me

It seems I gave it 2 or 3 coats and if I were to do it again I would probably use

the mower guard stuff if its by the same company, maybe only need 1 good sloppy

coat that way.     I need another quart now, I've coated 4 or 5 other decks I've rebuilt

and have on the shelf now. The deck I've mentioned was a pitted gear drive 32

rear discharge.

Jeff-C175

How long do you think it would take me to clean up a rather dirty 48 inch deck with some rust pitting on the bottom?

Have ya got a pressure washer and old clothes and safety glasses or face shield?

About 15 minutes if you do!  :tools-hammerdrill:  (pretend that's a pressure washer!)

• Like 1

dsholler

I have the old clothes, but do not own a pressure washer. I am thinking  a cheapo HF grinder and a cupped wire brush...

over60pirate

Wow!! scraping, grinding, coating. I'm sure lucky that my 42" deck on my 1987, 424-8, was spotless, when I bought it 7? years ago. I will be sure to never cut wet grass with it. I know, once rust starts, it's almost impossible to keep it from coming back.