Sign in to follow this  
hobobiker

About to give up on removing my C-160 flywheel

hobobiker

Not charging. Wanted to pull the wheel and check the stator/magnets. Two days of PB Blaster, propane torching until the entire block smoked, hitting the end with a 5-lb hammer, and even bent both bolts on my harmonic damper puller. I may just run it and plug it in to the trickle charger each night rather than risk breaking something...

2013-06-09_16-24-51_511_zpsbc9fb566.jpg

2013-06-09_16-25-00_393_zpsc2952f56.jpg

WH nut

If you have an air hammer take and rap arount the crank with the pressure on the puller

rockinhorse

What ever you do don't leave pressure on gear puller . I was doing the same thing got up to get a tool and the flywheel broke loose.  Hit the floor and broke a fin . Next one i pulled i put plenty of rags on floor with cardboard to catch it . Also i put a tarp strap across the flywheel hooked it in the shroud bolt holes. When it broke loose the tarp strap held it . Tap lightly around the outside with a hammer be easy.When i got mine off it was full of muddder dober nests .  Hope this helps

Karl

WH nut

What ever you do don't leave pressure on gear puller . I was doing the same thing got up to get a tool and the flywheel broke loose.  Hit the floor and broke a fin . Next one i pulled i put plenty of rags on floor with cardboard to catch it . Also i put a tarp strap across the flywheel hooked it in the shroud bolt holes. When it broke loose the tarp strap held it . Tap lightly around the outside with a hammer be easy.When i got mine off it was full of muddder dober nests .  Hope this helps

Karl

You can always leave the nut on by a few threads

KC9KAS

I recently removed a fly-wheel by using 2 pry bars 180 degrees from each other behind the fly-wheel...Run the nut flush with the crank.

Put pressure on the pry bars, smacked the nut and it popped loose.

A air chisel/hammer rapping on the fly-wheel should be a good removal method.

• Like 1

hobobiker

Karl

You can always leave the nut on by a few threads

Yep, I left the but on, but backwards, for a couple of reasons. Thanks guys...

WH nut

Did you get it?

Fordiesel69

Prpane torch is like pissing into the wind.  You need a map gas one, or an oxy acetalene torch and heat one area.  I usually heat around the key and not around the whole thing.  If your puller is not square, it will not come off easy.  Keep after it, you will get it eventually.

hobobiker

Did you get it?

Not yet.  Soaked it again yesterday with PB.  I agree that the propane heat just isn't hot enough.  Who knows, people have been known to use Red loctite (or worse) on these interference-fit wheels.  I have a can of MAP gas but need to hit the store to pick up another nozzle for it.  I'll give her another go tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks for letting me vent everyone.  Heck, most of my old Harleys don't give me this much grief.  (yeah, right, who am I kidding...).

bitten

Use a harmonic balancer pulling tool. 

Fordiesel69

Usually not possible.  

bean

someone touched on this. I crank the puller down as tight as possible, then wedge something between the block  and flywheel and hit the puller bolt with a 3lb sledge. it doesn't always pop off. the next step is to use an impact wrench to turn the puller bolt. it's not pretty, but has always worked.

MarkPalmer

.... the next step is to use an impact wrench to turn the puller bolt. it's not pretty, but has always worked.

Yes, this is a last resort.  And yes, it has always worked for me also.  Just be very careful, wear heavy gloves and face protection in case the puller decides to break. 

-Mark-

WH nut

Thats what he has on it

Shuboxlover

Are you sure you aren't getting ~36volts AC from the stator???

hobobiker

Thats what he has on it

Yep, and I have two very bent bolts to prove it's had a lot of pressure on it too...

See above...

someone touched on this. I crank the puller down as tight as possible, then wedge something between the block  and flywheel and hit the puller bolt with a 3lb sledge. it doesn't always pop off. the next step is to use an impact wrench to turn the puller bolt. it's not pretty, but has always worked.

Have done this too, with heat from a propane torch as well and even used a deadblow hammer to hit the flywheel around the circumference.  As mentioned above, I'm going to get a nozzle for my Map gas bottle and give that a shot.  As for the AC voltage, yep, my multi is only reading around 9V AC and I'm litterally getting nothing out of the B+ terminal on the R/R.  At this point I don't even know if the R/R is any good.  I've been concentrating on the AC issue.

Trust me, I'm usually a pretty gentle wrench but I'm getting close to REALLY hitting this thing (I'm 275lbs) and buying another flywheel off of Fleabay if I damage it.  My concern is that I might damage the crankshaft, bearings, or something else in the process.  The other alternative is just leave it and put it on a trickle charger, but then I KNOW something isn't working right and that bothers me... 

Fordiesel69

Please trust us when we say HEAT is your friend.  Quick heat in one area is the trick. 

• Like 1

can whlvr

as asked are getting at least 36 AC volts,not dc,ive had them not charge and it was the ground for the rectifier

JamesBe1

as asked are getting at least 36 AC volts,not dc,ive had them not charge and it was the ground for the rectifier

Good point.  That's one of the first things to check in a not charging situation. ~ 36VAC into the rectifier, and ~15VDC out.

Forest Road

I just went through this. I used a harmonic balancer and a 1/2" impact gun. Turn the torque setting all the way down on the gun. The vibration will literally make it pop right off.

http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/flywheel.htm

hobobiker

I just went through this. I used a harmonic balancer and a 1/2" impact gun. Turn the torque setting all the way down on the gun. The vibration will literally make it pop right off.

http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/flywheel.htm

I wish it were that easy.  I tried that and everything else mentioned above.  Was going out to get a Map gas cannister and nozzle the next day when my neighbor came over the night before.  He made the statement "if it were mine, I'd just hit it harder."  Yep, you guessed it.  I'm a 270-lb guy and not exactly a fat slob.  I hit her harder and two fins broke off.  !@#$!@!!  To top it off, I STILL need to get some Map gas because the flywheel didn't budge.  !@#$@!@!

So, I get to buy a new/used flywheel along with fixing whatever the original stator/magnet issue was as well...and the tractor sits on the lift waiting.  Ugh...

Fordiesel69

Pulleys are one thing as they are hard to grip evenly, but in this case, just heat is the answer.

If you are using a regualr residential propane torch type thing with a yellow mapp canister, it will also not provide adequate heat.  You need to use a large diameter nozzel or what the industry calls a turbo torch.  Or if you can borrow an oxy acetalene setup that will help.  I wish I was closer so you could borrow mine. 

Until you have some serious heat, stop now before pulling the threads out of it.

• Like 1

Jeff-C175

when my neighbor came over the night before.  He made the statement "if it were mine, I'd just hit it harder."

I lernt a long time ago not to listen to neighbors... my response would have been: "Yeah, but it ain't yours..."

• Like 2

hobobiker

when my neighbor came over the night before.  He made the statement "if it were mine, I'd just hit it harder."

I lernt a long time ago not to listen to neighbors... my response would have been: "Yeah, but it ain't yours..."

Yep. I knew better. Can anyone tell me whether I can scour eBay for any k341 flywheel, or is there something specific about the one on the c-160? Thanks!!

MarkPalmer

Yep. I knew better. Can anyone tell me whether I can scour eBay for any k341 flywheel, or is there something specific about the one on the c-160? Thanks!!

You just need one with the starter gear and rotor magnet, a very common flywheel. Did the old one ever pop off?

-Mark-