Sign in to follow this  
raider10-8

Pinion gear question

raider10-8

is there such thing as a 2 piece pinion and one piece pinion? if so whats stronger.

racinfool40

yes the 2-piece pinions were used in the older 4-speed transmissions....the 1 piece pinions I think started in the early 70's 4-speeds and the high/low transmissions...the 1 piece are alot beefier and stronger than the old 2-piece ones....and they way the differentials are made you can,t swap them out either with out some machining work.

MIKE.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Mike, if you got a whole differential that had the one piece pinions, could you just put it in the trans with no modifications.  The existing trans had the 2 piece pinions...8 speed trans.??  I just talked with Raider 10-8 on the phone...my guess is you can swap out the differentials...not the parts inside.  What do you think??? :eusa-think:

Edited by stevasaurus

racinfool40

Steve..I am pretty sure if you find a 4-speed out of a 1971and newer tractor they have the 1-piece pinions....trans #..5080-5084-5085-....Workhorse,commando 800...and the B-80 4-speed tractors....they are the same trans as the older 4-speeds just better differentials. I have put the better differentials in the older tranny's....I know of 2-701's and a 702 that have the newer differentials in them.... :)

Mike.

• Like 1

thehorseman

i put a diff in my trans.  it has 1 peice pinions but i blew all 4 of them up to peices.  so i got a used diff with 2 peice pinions threw in my axel shafts and all was good till i drove the tractor and the axel is solid during steering and im not sure y? good thing its a pulling tractor it only has to go straight! lol

racinfool40

You have the pinions installed wrong....1 up and 1 down  they have to be opposite all the way around or it will lock the differential.

• Like 1

thehorseman

o ok that works.  well im not gonna take it apart again especialy since i got the parts for only 20 buks if im pullin the tranny apart again ill do when this diff blows up and put a 8 pinion rear in it