Sign in to follow this  
JC 1965

What The Heck Is Going On

JC 1965

I had to replace the spindle bearings on my 1990 42" side discharge mower deck Model # 15-42SC02. I replaced all the bearings and everything was great. But when i cut the grass the discharge side of the deck is cutting lower than the other side. I took the deck off the tractor and turned it upside down and when i turn the blades by hand they line up fine ( all the same height ). Any ideas ?  

SousaKerry

Check your deck wheels,  Some models do have adjustment from side to side but I can't recall which ones

GlenPettit

(1)  Double check the pressure in your tractor tires, being even just 2# low on either the front or rear tire is very noticeable with small tires. A 10 or 12 PSI all around for best mowing (our own weight can add a lot too).  

(2)  Check level with the deck on the tractor, and lowered in the cutting height on a flat-level surface.  

(3)  Sometimes a deck shell, front roller bracket or a deck wheel bolt may be bent.

Let us know what you find to solve it!

953 nut

You didn't put a blade on upside down did you. I know that would make one sid cut higher; please don't ask me how I know. :text-lol: 

• Like 2

JC 1965

Thanks for the interest guys. I've checked the tire pressure it's good. I'm using the same height adjustment i always use. none of the blades are upside down. It's cutting uneven from side to side not front to rear. I just can't figure it out. Could I have bent the deck shell when i took the spindles off? I had to wrestle those pulleys pretty hard. I don't even know if that is possible, I'm just trying to think of anything that it could be.  :dunno: It was cutting fine before i tore it down and replaced the bearings. Now the discharge side is cutting low but like i said in my first post when i turn the deck upside down and turn the blades by hand when the blades meet at their closest point they line up perfect.  :hide: On a level surface with deck mounted on tractor the discharge side blade is 1/4" lower than the other blades. If anyone has an idea of what it could be, i'm all ears. Thanks !!

Don1977

The only thing I can thank of is that the other two pulleys are not tight and slipping on the spindle and not cutting like they should. It would still drive the other spindle a full speed.

buckrancher

could the shaft that holds the rear deck wheels be bent and letting the one side sit lower?

also when you are on a level surface like cement floor is the deck shell parallel to the floor?

Brian

Butch

That doesn't even seem possible to me. If it's that noticeable there must be a pretty big tilt. You did reattach the deck to the Attach A Matic and not just the lift bar? A couple weeks ago I noticed my deck wasn't cutting properly. I lost 2 of the 3 blades. Couldn't believe it.

JC 1965

could the shaft that holds the rear deck wheels be bent and letting the one side sit lower?

also when you are on a level surface like cement floor is the deck shell parallel to the floor?

Brian

The shaft for the deck wheels is level i checked it with a small level also i checked the deck every where there is a flat surface and it is also level. 

JC 1965

That doesn't even seem possible to me. If it's that noticeable there must be a pretty big tilt. You did reattach the deck to the Attach A Matic and not just the lift bar? A couple weeks ago I noticed my deck wasn't cutting properly. I lost 2 of the 3 blades. Couldn't believe it.

Yea,   I put everything back together right, i only had to remove 2 bolts, 1 on the back of  each draft bar and i had to take the hair pin out of the leveler rod so i could get to the front  ( or large middle ) pulley. This thing has me stumped.

JC 1965

The only thing I can thank of is that the other two pulleys are not tight and slipping on the spindle and not cutting like they should. It would still drive the other spindle a full speed.

Don, I tightened all the nuts that hold the pulleys on to 75 ft. pounds.

dsholler

something must be moving while it is mowing.. you sure you didn't have your right foot resting on it ? :)

WVMountainMan

Well...I had 42" SD deck on a 91, 314 and experienced the same thing. After going through everything that it mighta, shoulda, coulda been, I discovered that the deck shell was sprung at the starboard (right) spindle. That opened up the "absolute" necessity :) of building a brand new 48" deck for that particular steed.

Shuboxlover

Could you have crud (corrosion) between the top of the spindle housing and the deck shell?  This would prevent the spindle from being "sucked up" all the way tight against the shell when you put it back together.  I've seen plenty of spindle housings have crap on them and when you go to put it back together, if you don't clean it all off really well (on the shell and the spindle housing" it won't mate very well.  I hope this makes sense.  Good luck and keep us informed.

Butch

Have someone mow with it and walk behind it and see if you see a tilt.

WH nut

I have a 42in doing the same thing and have decide the deck is sprung. I have not had it apart to see if there are any cracks in the spindle area yet. I put 1in larger wheel on the right side to solve it for now.

Wishin4a416

My 42 inch side discharge did the same thing. Never could figure it out. Although I believed the deck was sprung from not using the discharge chute which I removed because the wife drives in brail. I gave up and put a 1 inch bigger wheel on the right side. That worked for a long time. I have since swithched to a rear discharge and it mows great.

Will pick up another if I can find one.

RiverRat

I was just perusing e-bay and there someone is selling round plates that will fix sprung decks. Obviously one would have to be more than a little handy at fabrication and welding or have a connection with such skills.

illinilefttackle

If you mow with both deck wheels on the ground-and the deck shell is equal distance to the ground all round-your spindles have to be uneven to each other. I replaced my spindles with an older grease-able variety and had to shim then under the mounting bolts to get them equal to the shell and level to the ground. I hope you understand what I'm saying. Even if the deck is warped-within reason- you can level it out by shimming the spindles-Thanks-Al

MalMac

Sounds to me you are suffering from the good ol 42" SD sprung deck problem. The 42" SD is the weak link in the Wheel Horse line. My experience is once that deck gets sprung even putting on the support rings under the pulleys will not hold it very long. First time you get on uneven ground or bump something it will go right back to cutting uneven. There is a support plate that Toro offers that they use on one of their Zero turn machines. I had a dealer tell me they have been having good luck using those. I quit using the 42 SD's and only use the 48" SD and a 36"RD occasionally. Both are way more stiffer decks and take more bumps and bangs than that 42" SD.

JC 1965

Mystery solved,  The deck is sprung or warped at the spindle on the discharge side. That is the side that is cutting low and also the side that i had so much trouble getting the pulley off. I suppose all the force i used getting the pulley off warped it. Not sure what to do about it yet. I have another mower i can use until i decide what to do. Might take Al's advice and shim it. Just not sure right now. I really appreciate all the help everyone gave me on this problem, you guys are the best. I'll let you all know what i decide to do when i figure it out.  Thanks again !!     :thumbs2:

WVMountainMan

I was afraid that you were going to find that as the problem. Same thing that I went through last year. I opted to move over to a 48" deck instead of trying to fix the 42"er. I don't understand the propensity of some of these 42" decks doing this and some that don't. I had a 312-8 with a 42" deck and I literally beat the crap out of that deck and never had a problem. Picked up what I thought was "cherry" 314 tractor and 42" deck and I never took it around the yard for a trial spin before totally over paying the seller...because I took his word that the tractor was 100% good. Lots of lessons learned here and I thank God for the people on this site that worked me through that problem and continue to entertain my lack of smarts about all things red. Good luck moving forward :roll: Jerry.