meadowfield

Super Bendy 4x4 wheel horse

Alan_Heist

Nice progress on this one!  I will be keeping an eye on this as well. 

meadowfield

Brief update....slow progress what with the loss of my workshop and work on the house.

The first of the transmission mounts that allows the rear end to twist allowing all four wheels to stay in contact with the ground. It's a cut down cat 2 top pin with an M7 bolt pressed into the end and a grease nipple to allow greasing. It fits nicely into a cat 2 bush!

4f5d08019857e5ab564a04d85cdc75d3_zpsc247

d3565c68cbd62d9f6463969dbf12a08f_zpsa47c

The light was fading so didn't get chance to show how it mounts on the transmission.

Edited by meadowfield

953 nut

What I am wondering is how you are going to do that with two manual transmissions. Do you have a hydrical pump and motors you haven't shown us?

ahhh,

well that was the bit modeled in lego 2 years ago that's the secret to making it.

Plan A gives me 4x4 or 4x2, but a small transmission headache.

Plan B gives me a 100% locked 4x4 transmission

Plan C swaps to hydro...

Plan D it's an articulated tractor that tows behind another :)

fingers crossed another of the parts comes this week that I need and I'll get the centre pivot finished.

Whilst on on here, anyone know who made this nice conversion?  It's a picture I downloaded a few years ago when I started thinking, and I can't find any links or stories now.

2010WheelHorseShow080_zpse857d37c.jpg

:text-goodpost:  Seems to me that plan "A", a 4X2 with the rear wheels being more or less a trailer would be a good "show tractor" but i would bet you want to do plan "C", tow hydros with true 4X4 drive, a lot more work but look at the pride you will have in it! :woohoo: 

The 200 series isn't the clloest member of the herd, but if you used one engine and two 200 A trans axles then all you would need to do is mount a double row idler pulley at your pivot point to transfer power from one to the other. That would make it rather easy to build.

I will be very interested to see this project come togather, thanks for sharing it with us.

:text-coolphotos: 

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 1

953 nut

What I am wondering is how you are going to do that with two manual transmissions. Do you have a hydrical pump and motors you haven't shown us?

ahhh,

well that was the bit modeled in lego 2 years ago that's the secret to making it.

Plan A gives me 4x4 or 4x2, but a small transmission headache.

Plan B gives me a 100% locked 4x4 transmission

Plan C swaps to hydro...

Plan D it's an articulated tractor that tows behind another :)

fingers crossed another of the parts comes this week that I need and I'll get the centre pivot finished.

Whilst on on here, anyone know who made this nice conversion?  It's a picture I downloaded a few years ago when I started thinking, and I can't find any links or stories now.

2010WheelHorseShow080_zpse857d37c.jpg

:text-goodpost:  Seems to me that plan "A", a 4X2 with the rear wheels being more or less a trailer would be a good "show tractor" but i would bet you want to do plan "C", two hydros with true 4X4 drive, a lot more work but look at the pride you will have in it! :woohoo: 

The 200 series isn't the clloest member of the herd, but if you used one engine and two 200 A trans axles then all you would need to do is mount a double row idler pulley at your pivot point to transfer power from one to the other. That would make it rather easy to build.

I will be very interested to see this project come togather, thanks for sharing it with us.

:text-coolphotos: 

meadowfield

Thanks for the comments so far guys. I pushed the parts of the two halves together yesterday for another measure up. I decided that he original 4ft wheelbase was too long.

8946bf0f00ab2b84f2e4d6eb99c6c3e7_zpsdf5a

So out with the grinder to cut the trans mount off the front and move back by 3". Wheelbase now at 42"

b5805c2f364cee818cb04ddbc4c729bc_zps28d6

40855e16a35e86f10184804291b5eaa2_zps3adc

Other jobs permitting might have the two halves rolling tomorrow.

• Like 1

neil

Looking good Mark, what size engine is planning to go on it ,

Would look good with a set of those extra wide Rims like Ian just sold .

Nice Job

meadowfield

Looking good Mark, what size engine is planning to go on it ,

Would look good with a set of those extra wide Rims like Ian just sold .

Nice Job

Got a C161 that will provide the donor engine. I did have 4 wide tyres, but sold 2 and it a pair on wide rims. I do wish I had kept them now. Hey ho... :)

• Like 1

meadowfield

Spent another few hours this afternoon chopping into 3/8 RSJ... The result now being the front pivot bearing that provides articulation.

274eef8b702cb2594da1007fc1e67fee_zps46be

An hour with a 31mm and 51mm hole saws was worth it! I'm now on all fours, still need the cradle completing to hold the rear transmission.

3d17bb8b3ce51ad8ffb12f18522c1ced_zpsce99

Cheeky shot showing the dual articulation :D

470539d92bf04a37c448a2c0d477aaeb_zpsabc0

• Like 4

Marv

Very Very impressive. I am in awe how you can do things like this. Great job. I missed something i guess, what happened to your shop?

Marvin

• Like 1

953 nut

:text-bravo: Nice work! I have a couple of questions, do you plan to have the rear wheels powered and how will the shif lever be manipulated being that far forward?

I must say the dual articulation setup you have crafted is first class. I look forward to seeing each step along the way. :text-coolphotos: 

meadowfield

Very Very impressive. I am in awe how you can do things like this. Great job. I missed something i guess, what happened to your shop?

Marvin

This happened!

:text-bravo: Nice work! I have a couple of questions, do you plan to have the rear wheels powered and how will the shif lever be manipulated being that far forward?

I must say the dual articulation setup you have crafted is first class. I look forward to seeing each step along the way. :text-coolphotos: 

Thanks, yes plan to drive the rear wheels... I have a cunning plan! Extending shift lever will be one of the easier parts of the build.

Mark

• Like 1

Marv

Oh! That's a bummer. Sorry to hear that.

Marvin

meadowfield

As the idea is in my head and I had 30 mins to spare I made this from a length of 1/2" bar and a small 1" pin.

ca5c37869cbfc72e9e5e3ace824eb37e_zpscfc9

c57182fe48f313ce2bc7a29d5cd425d2_zps0e14

It's the shortened shift lever for the front transmission....

• Like 1

Stigian

Looks like your super bendy 'orse is coming along a treat Mark, some nice lathe work there with the short shifter :handgestures-thumbup:

meadowfield

Looks like your super bendy 'orse is coming along a treat Mark, some nice lathe work there with the short shifter :handgestures-thumbup:

Thanks, enjoyed that bit... I wasn't bad with an etch a sketch so making round things isn't too hard. Spent yesterday making the rear transmission cradle and bushes, more on that later....

meadowfield

managed another afternoon yesterday - sticking with the theme of making it up as I go along, here is a quick sketch of the rear subframe that holds the transmission in place and allows it to articulate. 

19979142de8957f1faf3b0c089784b02_zps9836

some progress pics later when I upload from the camera

• Like 2

meadowfield

A couple more pics of the subframe.

3504aaa093bd6be14e32e130eac631f3_zps6746

and fully suspended transmission

cc4c4d2063ed69b6c5aff8decd1dfdeb_zps225f

there's now a real feeling of rigidity to the whole thing :)

• Like 2

meadowfield

A taper lock bush for part of the 4wd coupling arrived today, a quick spin on the lathe with a spare brake drum gave me a 30mm boss.

700c7c43e945d780ee91b23592151312_zps9f30

Started thinking about the bodywork, slowly cutting an inch at a time off a raider hood stand has allowed the two halves to pivot, I'm thinking I might weld up the old hole at the front of the fender so it hides the gubbins inside.

a8de741eafa479f7c52861bdfcdad161_zps6d2b

Edited by meadowfield
  • Like 2

meadowfield

Remote shift completed today, here's the shift lever.

a396e61c266fc4bf6b25077c8edee928_zpsd946

Here's it installed

866eb6eea34ce5471d64f5937b439d84_zps7c42

Started patching the fender, I have a c series fender but don't want all the holes...

8e2d61b614487d45948974b4a84d16f1_zps28dd

And in between welding we made a robot from old IT equipment and stuff burned in the fire, meet HD !!

ab3a2f04759c505ecd7f1c2dbae2accc_zpsb625

• Like 2

C-101plowerpower

awesome work, wish i coud make round(ish) things on the lathe. keep up the good work and say hi to mr HD for me :)

Koen

953 nut

:text-goodpost:  No wonder you get so much great work done, you have a robot working with you. :text-lol: 

clemedc

Thanks for sharing. (Great stuff) :greetings-wavegreen:

Brrly1

Great job so far. Keep up the good work. Will continue to watch,

Charlie Smith

Great job mark, looks like it's coming on well,

Brrly1

Any updates?