Sign in to follow this  
thehorseman

308-8 puller with tranny problems

thehorseman

hey guys im new here but my little brother isnt.  my 308-8 pulling tractor has some issues.  it shifts fine al gears work but wen turning sharply the transmission makes a loud click noise.  it happened after my last event where i pulled 2600 lbs on a dead sled.  im thinking its gotta be in the differential.  i would like to find out where i can get a better transmission.  one with the 1 1/8 axels and i here the 8 pinions are the strongest.  if anyone one here has some input it would be greatly appreciated.  or if u have a tranny you want to sell

stevasaurus

Welcome to Red Square...I hear you guys are going to the show.  You may find that transmission sitting there waiting for you.  I do not think you will see trans parts sorted out like you are talking about though. :)   See you guys at the show.

thehorseman

im not even looking for that im just wondering if anyone knows what wheelhorse transmission was built the strongest? i only have 1 inch axels and im in the process of tearing this tranny down but the hubs are stuck.  once i get them off i will know what went bad.  

stevasaurus

You know we want pictures.  I would say you want an 8 speed with 4 or 8 pinions.  I have to check my paper work unless someone like GWest chimes in.  Maybe scope out the puller's section...start a thread.

:)

baerpath

8 pinion for pulling

thehorseman

i ripped it apart today with my brother its a 4 pinion and 3 out of 4 pinion the teeth were sheared rite off.  and half of one axel gear was sheared off.  the rest of the tranny looks mint all gears were fine and showed no significant wear on the teeth considering its been a puller for a while.  the oil was very dirty but i also think the cause was shock.  the last pull of day i ouit pulled everyone there and went for one last pull and my foot slipped off the clutch pedal and the tractor took off while conectted to the sled and it shocked the hitch ripped off the hitch, and shocked the tranny and i think thats why all the pinions were broken.  so im ordering parts right now.  my brother will post pics in a little bit

raider10-8

heres the pics he was talking about

post-9525-0-36281600-1370205821.jpg

post-9525-0-20678600-1370205828.jpg

post-9525-0-45441500-1370205834.jpg

gwest_ca

6/8 speed transmission models I believe have the 8 one-piece pinions and 1-1/8" axles

Transmission model 5091 1973-1976 (Replaced by 103907 in 1976)

Transmission model 103907 1976-1977 (Replaced by 103916 in 1978)

Transmission model 103916 1978-1985 (Replaced by 110995 in 1985)

Transmission model 110995 1985-1992 (Replaced by 92-8708 in 1993)

Transmission model 92-8708 1993-1996 (Replaced by 94-6671 in 1997)

Transmission model 94-6671 1997-2005 and 2007

Used on E-141 8-speed Elec-Trak model 103918 1978?-1983?

Go to

https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?xCaller=Toro

and select "Advanced Search".

Enter a transmission model and then submit on the right side. That will bring up the tractor parts lists for the models that used that transmission. What I don't know is if a parts list contains more than one transmission model like other parts because these lists are shared by similar models. So read the fine print.

Garry

can whlvr

you say you are ordering parts,from toro?i would put an add in the classified section and buy a rear end,even if its a 4 pin with the 1 inch axle,i bought rear ends for alot less even with shipping from kentucky to ontario canada,i needed an axle and the gear for it and it was cheaper to buy a whole rear end and have it shipped here

thehorseman

i found all the parts i need on ebay for less than 50 buks so i ordered them and im hoping to have it back together by the end of the week.  does anyone know why the pinion is the weak point in the tranny? every other gear is fine and i didnt even shear a axel key so mabey i could just weld the pinion gears so its like a full solid axel? or is that a bad idea.  

racinfool40

If ya think about all you have turning the axle and all the torgue is going thru 2 of the pinions....only 2 pinions per axle and with the shock you explained..I am surprised that is all that broke...I agree with can whlvr...I would look for a good 8-pinion 1-1/8th axle trans and you won't have to worry again...Just throwing my 2 cents in...

Mike.

thehorseman

that is the answer i was looking for.  thanks alot these parts were cheap enough i should havce them in a few days and have the tractor going for the next show in a fewq weeks.  in the mean time ill be on the look out for a 8 pinion 1 1/8 axel 8 speed tranny.  i tell ya what, for a little 8 horse she out pulled  a 16 horse cub cadet and 3 12 horse cub cadets.  the extra low gearing is saving me.  thanks for all the input guys