Sign in to follow this  
raider10-8

cool trick i learned today

raider10-8

well we all know that when we want to paint rims with out dismounting the tires we would put tape around the edge and then newspaper over the rest of it correct? well my brothers friend came over the other day and saw my tire all covered in news paper and said hey just a quick tip instead of doing all that work with the tape and newspaper take some motor oil and put it on the side of the tire not too much but not too little and paint away when it dries all you have to do is wipe the oil away. i was shocked I've never heard of such a brillant idea has any one else??. so any ways thats what im going to do today and ill tell you guys how it works out.

KC9KAS

I knew of a fellow (he's dead now) that painted automobiles (40 years ago) and used grease on chrome and other parts he didn't want painted. After the paint was dry, he just cleaned off the grease.....So, yes I have heard of this!

Sparky

It probably will make getting paint off the tire easier, but will anything in the motor oil destroy the rubber compound in the tire.....might have to do some Googling on that.

Mike.....

chrisd200(inactive)

I have used that trick with grease on small areas. Worked well!

Jeff-C175

will anything in the motor oil destroy the rubber compound

Prolonged exposure might soften the rubber, but I don't think a 'one time' application would hurt anything.

http://www.bridgestonetrucktires.com/us_eng/answers/doctor_maintenance.asp

There is a question part way down the page about storage conditions and in the reply it said this:

1. Make sure the floor / ground surface is free of any petroleum product contamination (Oil, grease, fuel, etc.) since petroleum products will attack rubber and can cause significant damage to compound characteristics.

squonk

I use rubber cement on tires decals ect all hard to mask areas. It works really well when painting the raised letters on round hoods.

AMC RULES

They do make a liquid mask for detail work.  

post-3498-0-36625800-1370197130_thumb.jp

• Like 2

ptmechpa

There's a body shop I know thats uses a spray app. when done painting they use a water hose to wash the over spray off.

raider10-8

wow thanks for all the replies . hopefully they come out good

Crow Horse

I use aluminum flashing that had been cut into rectangles.  Slide them between the rim and tire, spray, let dry then remove.  No clean up required.  One could also use playing cards to accomplish the same.......

Jake Kuhn

I just tape them. LOL Interested to see how they turn out.

TheReDStAnG

A $.50 pack of index cards has been the way I've been doing it.  No mess, just toss them out when you are done.

Jack Fate

I use Vaseliene  

• Like 1

horsesaver98

I use a lanolium templant that I made that slips on both sides it works very good and no clean up we have it for front and rear

HorseWhisperer

I use Vaseliene  

I have used Vaseline for 20 years,just don't let it sit overnight,the paint bleeds right through it.I only needed to do it once to find out!lol

Jack Fate

wow ,generally let mine sit 3-4 days no problem .

disclaimer : your results may very :)