Sign in to follow this  
raider10-8

pulling tractor trans. help

raider10-8

hey guys my brother has a 308-8 wheel horse and uses it for pulling ( dead sled not progressive sled) and he pulled 2800 LBS with it last time he pulled.  but the last time he pulled his rear weight bracket snapped off. any ways he was making another weight bracket today and wanted to see if his trans. was shot because he thought it was during the pull. when he was driving it in a parking lot he said every time he turns it he hears a loud clicking ( in the trans.) and thinks that maybe one of his pinion gears broke or something happened in his differential. so is what were going to do is put the trans. from a raider 10 that he just bought in the 308-8 puller.  he was wondering for any one else who pulls with their horse if there is any way possibly to beef up the 8 speed transmission? thanks

qd-16

I'm no expert on the wheel horse trans. but I believe the 8 speeds from the raiders are one of the 10 pinion limited slip trans......One of wheel horses weaker trans.

baerpath

If your close by I have spare 8 pinion rears, leave the Raider alone and pickup a 8 pinion.   My son wiped out two 10 pinion rears in one weekend.  Learned our lesson real quick. 

Where do you dead sled ?  We run transfer sleds only with ours

raider10-8

were on long island and we are part of the long island antique power association and thats where we pull. but it only pulls 2 or 3 times a year. and we took the raider trans. out today and found out that it wont work. so we might try and fix the one in his. does any one know what trns. is in a 308-8 1987