Sign in to follow this  
Fordiesel69

What is this wheel horse?

Fordiesel69

What model would this be?  It is a 12 HP rubber mounted engine with a hydro tranny, but with a manual lift.

3K93F83Jf5L95I25Jfd5s8a1f1fae59931421.jp

gcole

Ok let's see if I can get this right. Lol. My guess would be a 78-79 c121 hydro with a older set of decals on it

horsesaver98

Sorry haven't been on here for a while but looks like a 79 charger 12

Fordiesel69

It is factory decals and factory paint.   So what would be the difference between a C121 hydro and a Charger 12?

Vinylguy

It should have hood stand decals? Can you post pics?

posifour11

My 12 auto has that setup minus the decals

groundhog47

Whatever it is, certainly looks GREAT!!!

• Like 2

Wheelhorsedairyfarmer

My guess is a c-121 hydro with a hood off an earlier tractor or someone put older deals on the hood. 

It may be a charger 12.....my charger 12 has the front mule drive like that tractor has....but the way the side panel by the deck lift handle is the way the 121 would be. 

Vinylguy

The hood decals look to be darker grey than original. Actually they look like ones that I made. But pictures can be deceiving. Are you absolutely positive without a doubt that they are factory?

gcole

A few reasons I think it's a 121 is it has no hood ornament, flip up seat instead off flip up fender, wide front rims and the newer dash collum

Hodge71

Definitely a C-121. Just because they're factory decals doesnt mean theyre the right decals. Someone definitely could have put the wrong hood decals on it. I'm kinda with Vinylguy though.The gray looks a bit darker than usual. That coupled with the fact that theres a battery bungeed in where the gas tank would be if it was a Charger 12. Its got the sticker on the right rear fender that would also be correct for a c-121 and not a Charger. That in addition to the fact that the rear fender isnt a flip up style like a Charger would be, it has foot rests with the black traction material and a Charger would have the plain steel footrests with the raised and embosssed holes punched in it if my memory serves me right. It also doesn't have the chrome hood ornament on the front of the hood. Actually doesnt even have the holes for it, leading me to believe its a late 70's machine that someone put the wrong older style stickers on it.

Edited by hodge71

Callen

A C121 was only made in 1978 and 1979..Square dash support, Iso engine mount, using the 301as engine. The charger 12 was made from 1968 till 1972 and had the narrow dash support. The C1x1 series was also the first to use a drum parking brake instead of the internal paw on the hydros.

MalMac

I may be wrong here, but isn't 78 the year they started putting fuel tank under the seat. That tractor there has the tank under the seat. With that hood it's a 78 or 79 C.

roscoemi

It looks just like my 79 C-121 8 speed with the wrong decals.

KC9KAS

How about posting the model number from the tag?

Then I may be able to tell what it is! :ychain:

Fordiesel69

It was an all out rainstorm when I looked at it, I didnt get the numbers unfortunatly.

Lagersolut

I looked at one a few weeks ago advertised as a 312-8  (CL ) , I had no idea if that's even what it was , someone changed hoods, painted over the decals , all the spec numbers were gone on the tractor itself , the mower was wrong, the wiring was fiddled with, I mean the list goes on and on, what it was ,  a major patch job of 4 or 5 tractors glued together and the guy was trying to squeeze 650 out of .

From what I'm seeing I'm going with a C-121 , looks just like my C-121 with the wrong decals,  hood is also identical to my  79 C-101 minus the head lights - my C-101 has an Escutcheon plate .

varosd

late chime in..1978-79 C-Series minus engine could be different engines of the Kohler Big Block type.  looks cleans!  add engine (change decals) and go!

B-100 Dan

My guess is it's a "C" series, late 70's for sure.

bob393

My guess is it's a "C" series, late 70's for sure.

I agree. It looks like my 1977 C-120 with the wrong decals.

Also mine doesn't have the decal on the left fender.

Deck looks like my 42" also.

Fordiesel69

Well guys, we picked it up last night.  Mystery solved, they did indeed repaint it and order NOS decals & a brand new 48" deck from our local shop.  Ths occured quite a few years ago and the slight aging fooled me into thinking it was factory.  The shop did not have the original decals avail.  However it still does not conclude what it is.  He did say it is a 79' model year.

Here is the identification number:

91-12ks01-11493

Overall a great deal.  I tore the engine apart and it was also rebuilt recently, but ran out of oil.  The only damage is a peeled rod to crank.  And I mean peeled.  There is aluminum stuck in gobbs all over the crankpin.  So I think this means it went fast, and they crank may not be out of round.  Fingers crossed.

gwest_ca

There is a different manual listed for 1979 early production but no idea when that is. Your 8353 build date is Tuesday December 19, 1978.

Operator manual

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/1144-tractor-1979-c-series-om-part1-late-production-810134r1pdf/

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/1070-tractor-1979-c-series-om-part2-late-production-810134r1pdf/

Illustrated parts lists

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/1928-tractor-1979-c-series-ipl-part2-late-production-810118r1pdf/

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/1929-tractor-1979-c-series-ipl-part3-late-production-810118r1pdf/

Go into the manuals here and do a search for 810063R1

This is a tractor servcie manual.

Garry

Fordiesel69

UPDATE: 6/27/13

Got its original engine put back on and rebuilt.  Need to clean up some wires, install a new flywheel shroud, and give it a nice wax & detail before I post the eye candy and videos.

After the rebuild, I ran it real hard with a 42" to break the engine in good, and will wait a few more hours before putting the 48" back on.  Everything went well, got it super cheap, but unfortunatly I have as much into the engine as I could have just bought a fully running model.  The hydro is nice and strong, and it is growing on me.  I bought it mainly for the nice 48" deck, but I think it is a keeper.

I am going to leave the paint job and decals alone.  It was such a nice job, I almost thought it was factory.  These were factory decals ordered local as it was all they could get.  The originals could not be ordered, and the prior owner did not know the vinyl guy on here.