Sign in to follow this  
64lawnranger

slot hitch

64lawnranger

All right guys, long time lurker...first time poster! I've acquired a slot type hitch for my 64 lawn ranger, it bolted up to the rear end just fine...now I just need to know how to make it go up and down. I know there is a linkage piece that I'm missing, just cant figure out where it hooks up at. Anyone have some good pictures or info?

TT

B)

The rear hitches are operated by a cable from the bellcrank on the lift lever to the arm on the hitch.

This IPL drawing of a newer version shows everything but the cable housing which is routed over the top of the transmission.

39160001.gif

Use that drawing as a guide to fabricate your own cable, or watch ebay for the OEM parts. You can also post a "wanted" ad here at RedSquare.

Teddy da Bear

B)

Glad you could join us!

Curmudgeon

B) 64, you'll find posting is whole bunch more fun than lurking.

Since TT pretty much covered your question, I'll just settle for a double :whistle:

64lawnranger

Ok guys, forgive me for being a slow learner! How does this hook up to the lift arm...I don't mind fabricating up a couple pieces, just need a better understanding of how the cable attaches to the lift lever arm?!?

CasualObserver

The cable is about 18 inches in length if I remember right, it's been a while since I measured one. The small clevis that goes through the dash tower attaches to the lift arm rocker. When you pull back on the lift arm, the rocker pushes forward, and pulls the cable forward, thus lifting the slot hitch. When you lower the lift arm, the opposite happens... (as long as you have sufficient weight on the slot hitch!)

Attached Image

post-4-1218750112.jpg

ol550

B)

The rear hitches are operated by a cable from the bellcrank on the lift lever to the arm on the hitch.

This IPL drawing of a newer version shows everything but the cable housing which is routed over the top of the transmission.

39160001.gif

Use that drawing as a guide to fabricate your own cable, or watch ebay for the OEM parts. You can also post a "wanted" ad here at RedSquare.

The #8 in the drawing attaches to the same lever that lifts the deck and hangs down. The cable is then attached to the lower end. Other tractors have a second lever on the lift shaft so the #8 is the fix for the Mighty Lawn Ranger.

64lawnranger

Ok guys lets see if I'm on the right track...looking at the image, #8 is going to hook into the end of the lift arm, right where the cotter key and larger washer are currently? Sorry fore being a pain, I can really make a simple thing difficult!

Picture014.jpg

Curmudgeon

That arm is horizontal, there should be another at 90 degrees to that one, sticking down. The cable hooks to that arm.

TT

The whole thing you're up against is the fact that the Lawn Rangers never had a rear lift of any type. They were too low to the ground for it to be effective.

#8 hooks up to the vertical arm on the bellcrank on a standard garden tractor. If you want to install the cable on your LR, you will need to weld an additional arm to the bellcrank to attach the cable.

CasualObserver

He shouldn't need to weld it. If he uses a part that is identical to part #8, and puts the forward pin through the bell crank part, the middle joint on part #8 should hold the rear pin off the lever so that the rear pin can be attached to the cable.

However, I forgot that they weren't designed to use a slot hitch... you'll probably have to cut a hole for the lift cable to go through? Is there room for it? The LR's don't have the same under seat configuration that the regular tractors did. Also... will the tractor be tall enough to not drag an implement when fully lifted? B)

TT

That might work in a pinch, Jason, but he would have to unhook it every time he wants to hook up the mower. (or a dozer blade) As long as there is pressure pulling back on the cable, it would have to retract.

The newer LR's with the multi-piece main body should be easy to fit a lift cable to. The '62 through '64 models would require a little creative surgery at the toolbox area though.

Height difference at the rear hitch mount should be at least 2