Sign in to follow this  
bob393

UniDrive Model Cross-Reference

bob393

I always hate to ask this kind of question because of all the differences involved but here it goes.

I have the opportunity to acquire a 400 series unidrive. I don't know the year.

Do you think it would fit my 1977 C120? It looks really close.

And if you don't think it would fit does it have the same 1533 bearings that I could use?

stevasaurus

If you are talking a 400 suburban or the 401...the short answer is no and it does not have the #1533 bearing in it.  It would be the 3 piece 5010 transmission...that has the bronze bearings for the axles and differential carriage.  Sorry.

If it is a 2 piece casting for the trans...it may fit and it does have the #1533 bearings.  You need to see if the brake shaft comes out the same hole for a pretty much straight bolt on.  You will need to fabricate the brake linkage if the hole is not the same. :)

Edited by stevasaurus

bob393

Hi Steve:

That's a bummer.

I really know nothing about the unit except they say it fits a 300, 400, 500 series wheel horse and its an 8 speed unidrive.

But boy it sure looked right except the seat and fender mounts and the oil fill tube.

Here is the only picture I have of it.

UniDrive1_zpsc8729b07.jpg

doc724

I think if you are talking about the 1980-1990's series 400 machines, the answer is yes, it will drop right in.  Also, trans from the mid 80 and later to do not have the dreaded 1533 bearings.  This week I was a bit brave and had two trannys, one from the late 1970's with a trashed needle bearing on the right side and a trashed 1533 on the same side.  I also had a mid 80's trans with a bad needle bearing on the input shaft.  So, I took the good halves from each one and put them together.  I pulled the differential from the 1980's tranny and measured the diameter where it fits into the 1533 bearing.  There was .003 difference, so I hope it will be ok.  I could have just replaced the input shaft bearing on the mid 80's tranny, but I did not want to go thru the hassle of removing all the gears to get to this bearing.

Of course, I did not throw out the two bad halves, just bolted them together and tucked it into a corner of the garage.  You just never know when you might need something (or you are looking for a good winter project

• Like 1

doc724

I just saw your pix.  That unit will drop right in.  Make sure you wiggle all the shafts to check for bad bearings.

stevasaurus

doc is right...I happen to still be in the 60's...sorry. :)

bob393

Thank you

I'm not dodging the rebuild on my original, lord knows I already have the seals and needle bearings.

But I saw this unit cheep enough to catch my attention so I was just hoping it might fit so I could do the rebuild

at my leisure.