Sign in to follow this  
T-Mo

Wheel Horse Photo Inquery

T-Mo

I know I found this picture on this site, I'm sure it was a scan from someone's mid-80's brochure. If the owner of this brochure sees this, could you send me a high resolution copy of it to me at terryreed2@aol.com if possible.

1462985887_bc136ba6e2.jpg

I'm thinking that this would make a good cover for next years calendar and also I just want to have a good copy of it for myself. Thanks. :D

CasualObserver

Terry, if you get a high res of that, I'd like a copy as well please.

Did you ever wonder... What happened to those letters from the building?

T-Mo

I'm assuming that building was vacated by the company, either after the sell to Toro or sometime afterwards.

BTW, is that a front mower I see on the C-series tractor on the very top right?

Rollerman

Sure is Terry, very cool!

Even see a C195 in the back row 2nd in from the left side.

I beleive the building is currently owned by "Bull Moose Tube" company...but not sure if thats current or even how many hands it went through.

I also reneber hearing the story about what collector got the leers...I'll have to dig further?

Very cool pic Terry & it look great on a calendar.

Stephen in northern IN

T-Mo

Bull Moose Company, heh? I did a search on them and they're headquartered in Chesterfield, Missouri (just outside of St. Louis). But they have a facility in Elkhart, Indiana (was this where Wheel Horse was?). Is this the building that's in the photo above?

Bull Moose - Elkhart

I also noticed the C-195. Now, the real question - who can name all tractors in the photo?

I just love that photo and it would look good on a calendar. I wish I had one similar from, say, 1977, '78, or '79. Something with a C-141 in it and some D-series.

Rollerman

That building in the pic is over in South Bend off Ireland road I beleive?

And yes there is a Bull Moose Tube in Elkhart "my hometown"

I'll ask around tonight with the locals...get the facts :D

I have heard some collectors approched the owners of the former Wheelhorse building about doing a show on it's property...it did not go over well form what I remember hearing.

Gota love liability :P

Stephen in northern IN

CasualObserver

Hey Stephen, when you "ask around with the locals" will you see if any of them know where one might obtain a copy of the short film, "Day of the Horse" ??? It's the documentary that was done about the Indy 2 1/2 the one lap race of Wheel Horse tractors in the mid-sixties. I've asked many, many times in many places, but no one has been able to help. Ed Cole was the closest I got, and he said he loaned his out some years back and it was lost and never returned. I've asked the South Bend library system via email, as well as the St. Joseph County library system. Both returned a big negative. I've been trying to track this down for a couple years now, but have never had a local South Bend acquaintance to work with. Can ya help?

kpinnc

Jason, I've read about that in Martino's book. I'd like to see it as well.

Kevin

T-Mo

Thanks. I got it. I'll download it tomorrow where I got high speed connection. BTW, welcome to the site. Glad to have you.

TT

I've "been here" since August, as you've probably seen. LOTS of familiar faces here! I'm sure some of you may even recognize me too!

Never had the opportunity to post though, until I saw this thread.

Here's a link to my photos over at Flickr, just in case you want to see some of my Horses:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14268558@N05/

T-Mo

Yes, I remember seeing your pictures over on FlickR. I also seen your posts on the Yahoo group. I'm glad to have you here and I hope to see more posts from you. I may post a lot, but I'm relatively a novice when it comes to Wheel Horses.

TT

I probably know more about them than I should! LOL

Some folks around here think I've gone overboard with the little red things.

(I know I was the only guy at the 2007 WHCC show with a WH tattoo)

Anyhow.......

15 "whole" tractors here right now, and too many parts & pieces to count. Many others have come and gone over the years, and I'm sure I'll find some more.

Don't know if I can be of assistance to anyone, but I will certainly try.

Thanks for letting me "hang out" with y'all.

Terry (from central PA)

Brrly1

Hello Jason I know a person that says he knows where those letters are and they are "For Sale". From what I understand it would take a couple of thousand to buy them up, I guesss thay reside somewhere in Michigan. I guess no more auctions for now I need to start saving my pennies and everything else that I can. :D Later John

CasualObserver

John, that definitely puts them out of my price range!! Hope you can manage to acquire them... I'd love to see a picture if you do.

Sparky

Dang!! I wouldnt even be able to buy a lower case "e" :D !

Mike........

T-Mo

Terry R.,

Terry R. here - is there an echo in here. 15 whole tractors, huh. I wonder if I can used that on my wife when I find my next one. :D

dunk50

OK, i am surely the new guy here but I am familiar with the wheelhorse building. I live about a 1000 yards from it and even helped mow that lawn a few decades back. There are actually still alot of old Wheelhorse signs, things around here, I'm just to new to know what to look for. I retired from South Bend Police after 32 years and am picking up hobbies. Just own one WH 416-H and am looking for more. By the way, last time I heard that building was own and being used by Lock Joint Tube but I would have to check for sure. I do enjoy this site.

Rollerman

Dunk50 welcome to the site...hey I'm not to far from you over in Millersburg.

You may see me out that way tonight looking over the property for these "Wheel Horse" signs you mentioned :D

I said in another thread here the building was owned by Bull Moose Tube company...opps, got the wrong "tube company" I guess.

Thanks for the correction.

TT

Stephen ! ! ! ! !

Watch saying that around him..... he might be a retired police officer, but I bet he knows a few that AREN'T ! :D

combatmp29r

Great there goes the tractor fund. We'll have to pitch in and bail stephen out because he was scouting signs for us <_

T-Mo

Maybe we won't bail Stephen out. It would be more important to him that we keep his horses running while he's in the slammer. And I'm sure he would want them in a warmer climate, say Missouri. :P

Dunk,

Man that would be a great place to live, near the old Wheel Horse building. Now, about those signs..... :D

Rollerman

I know where the old building is in South Bend...but never been by it. :(

Thats one of my plans while I'm on my winter down time....go do a drive by for the heck of it & stop at the Studebaker museum in South Bend.

I hear they have a Wheel Horse exhibit includeing some from the factory promotional display?...atleast I've been told this. :P

Now.....where to hang all these new signs? :D

dunk50

OK, now the gauntlet has been thrown. I will be out sign hunting and I know of a few businesses that OWE me :D Hey Tickster, one of these days I would like to see your WH's. Trying to find out how to hook up one of those buckets on the back or front for hauling things. Maybe I'll get a sign you'll want. :P