Sign in to follow this  
JackC

I did not need another one but could not pass this up

JackC

I promised myself I would not buy another one until I sold 1 or 2 and my plan was to not even look to avoid temptation.

Well, like the addicts we are with no self control, I checked Craigslist, saw this, and without hesitation or remorse my reflexes took over and I immediately contacted the seller.  There was absolutely no hesitation on this one and it was only 1 hour away.  It was listed for $500.  Out of respect for the brand and not wanting to lose it I called the guy and said $500 is too low I will give you $600.  He said OK so I immediately went to pay him the cash and sign a bill of sale to lock it up and I told him I will be back in two days with my trailer to pick it up.This was a situation where if it remained on Craigslist it would be gone.  My trailer was at another property at the time with another horse on it that I could not resist for $100 (another self control failure). 

The unit had been dealer serviced since new but was neglected for a year or two when the grandson inherited it. The blower did not work and the throttle cable was stuck.  The seller thought there was a blown relay preventing the blower from working and he disconnected the throttle cable from the dash to loosen it up and work it with pliers.  The ONAN has 702 hours on it and starts and runs beautifully.  When I got it home I found a small stone stuck under one of the blades of the second stage impeller and the blower works fine.  The arm that holds the chute crank is missing but is still available from Toro.  It did not look pretty where it sat so I cleaned it up on the way home with some fantastic and WD 40.  It has the 44 inch 2 stage blower, 48 inch SD deck, cast  iron wheel weights on the back wheels, and front hub caps.  It came with the original manual for the tractor and the manual for the deck.  I have another 2 stage blower and original manual. It needs a little TLC and has some surface rust here and there but overall everything is solid.

I have a 1989 520 HC which was one if the first 520s with the swept front axle and now I have this 1997 which was the last.

Here she is.

• Like 2

B-8074

Nice find. I wouldn't pass it up either, that is if I had the money. 

Wheel-N-It

I could not have resisted that one either Jack. I really like it. I hope it serves you well for a long time.

KC9KAS

Looks like you got yourself a fine GT!

AMC RULES

Nice...were you wearing a mask when you picked it up?   :)  

Tankman

No one in their right mind would've passed on that deal you got. Like, "WOW!"

And, only an hour away too. A bonus!

Some have all the luck! You surely don't need anymore. :smile:

You didn't need the ladder on your trailer to get high, you were flyin' high!

papaglide

That is a very nice looking tractor!

varosd

:eek:

Forget winning the Lottery!!!

What a score!!

Jake Kuhn

What a deal! :bow-blue:

Shuboxlover

The blower is worth that!!!  THAT IS AN ABSOLUTE STEAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had an HC once.....GREAT machine (FAST)!!!!!  Wish I wouldn't have sold it :(

fireman

I not even a fan of Wheel Horses after the 70's and would have been all over that!!! If it was neglected for the last two years I sure can't tell.

546cowboy

Another one of those New England deals. You guys are soooooooooo lucky when it comes to getting those. I haven't even seen anything newer than the 1991 I sold this year. We all :bow-blue: to you on this deal $600 for a 1997 520 and two stage blower.

I have been trying to reduce my herd too but a deal like that is just too good to pass on and only an hour away to boot.

Edited by 546cowboy

fabricator2009

Holy cow. Good score.