Catt

Wheel Horse Rear Crane

SALTYWRIGHT

I PUT A CRANE ON THE BACK OF MY 417-8-DIESEL. I HAVE A WINCH ON THE FRONT FOR WEIGHT. I HAVE PICKED UP OUTBOARDS THAT WEIGH 700 LDS WITH NO TROUBLE.

MY CRANE IS MOUNTED FORWARD OF WHERE YOURS IS. WHEN YOU BOOM OUT IT WILL PICK UP THE FRONT WHEELS. FIREMAN YOU HAVE SEEN MY 417 DIESEL. I ALSO HAVE A WINCH ON THE BOOM. RUSS

AMC RULES

It need outriggers for crane to be able to support any real weight...

more important than counterweight.    :twocents-twocents:

CasualObserver

From that respect a crane would be absolutely perfect added to an Air Horse!  You have the wide stance trailer that would be your "riggers"...on wheels so you can transport your load in the lifted position, and bonus, you have a hydraulic ram built in to actuate the crane!

post-1026-0-66372700-1343648054.jpg

• Like 3

Catt

I think I'm pretty much set with everything now. I mounted the lug tires and wheel weights.  Also moved a trailer around with the front and rear hitch.  Seems to work fine. Here's a picture of the wheels and weights and a trailer on the rear receiver hitch.

CasualObserver, that craigslist picture is amazing!

post-9873-0-50863000-1371155660_thumb.jp

Catt

...and one more picture.

post-9873-0-79603500-1371156565_thumb.jp

Xjchief

What a great idea with the crane .I made one also I definitely need counter weight but It really works well.

post-9395-0-19658300-1376696005_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Digger 66

I bought a pickup truck crane and plan to use it on my 418-A  to move docks at the cabin. I added a rear 2" receiver and mounted the crane to a receiver extension so it can be easily removed. The receiver is attached to a tiller mount and also has bracing to the old hitch mount on the lower portion of the axle.  Seems pretty strong.

That's  COOL !

Joefrommi65

This mount gives me an idea for a rear winch mount!!!! Nice job!!!

darg

Can some give me a rough lb weight limit for the rear axel housing and what might be the limit for lifting with the hydraulic pump that operates the mower lift.

fireman

I purchased a snow plow that was made for a newer Toro / Wheel Horse. Removed the plow and used the frame to make a receiver hitch for the front.  It has a lift mount near the front of the frame and I also added the hydraulic lift near the middle of the frame. I have a second set of rims coming and lug tires. Will also brace the frame.

Here are a couple pictures of the progress I've made.

Pardon the green!

Nice fabrication work. That should do the trick. 

PS. I don't mind the green!

can whlvr

I like your setup catt,nice lookin tractor too,heres a pic of a crane I made for moving heavy things around

003-1.jpg

030.jpg

• Like 1

953 nut

:text-yeahthat:   Gets the job done without spending $:text-coolphotos: