Sign in to follow this  
rick

Can't get planted for the rain....

rick

Seems a little dead here,  so I thought I would try to get things going....My garden has been ready to plant twice now, and then the rains come. I realize we need the rain, and God doesn't work my schedule. I am going to have to take time off to get it done. My bones are too tired anymore to do a lot when I get home, after 8 hours of installing wires,lights and radios in the trunk of an Impala police car, and then an hour of commuting.....I am thankful to have a job, to be sure, when so many are struggling.

Let me check the extended weather forecast, there may be a gap in the wet weather that I can take advantage of.......

• Like 1

farmer

:) Sometimes you wonder whether its worth all the effort, if its not the weather its the rabbits or the birds or the bugs, there's always something. I suppose without all the challenges it would get boring. (yeah right) :teasing-tease:

Jim_M

I have the opposite problem. The garden is all planted and it's doing great but if it doen't rain soon I'll have to start watering. We're really hot and dry here already.

6wheeler

I feel your pain Rick. I plowed my gardens three weeks ago, right after our last snowfall.Since then we have had 11 inches of rain. I am not even sure if the sun comes up anymore. It must, because the clouds get a little brighter between rain storms. I haven't been able to get into them since. I really need to get my corn in. It rained again today and supposed to have heavy rain tomorrow. On and off showers for Saturday too. Oh well, I suppose somehow, it could be worse. Good Luck..... Pat

Terry M

Same here Pat.  first the extended winter and now the wet spring.   The kids and I were going to do a garden and I had some landscaping projects planed.

And.....The concrete guy doesn't know now when he'll get to my garage/driveway apron :banghead: .  Your right though Pat, could be worse, like the bad luck for those folks in Oklahoma.

Edited by Terry M

Jim_M

We finally got a good rain Monday and there's a chance for today and tomorrow. We could still use a little rain. I watch the radar and it's all heading right for us but at the last minute, it either breaks up or splits and goes around us.

CasualObserver

Just the luck Jim.... I had standing water in my garden this morning.... weather_thunder.gifor I should say the big muddy square where my garden should be by now. tapfoot.gif

A friend of mine said it best... "Thank goodness it's raining.  I needed some water to water my water with."

DoctorHfuhruhurr

I've read where some people prefer planting in the rain as long as not a downpour or lightening storm.  The soil is softer and you don't have to soak the ground after. 

Jim_M

We got a decent rain today finally and it looks like it's going to rain tonight and tomorrow. I tilled between the rows, weeded, hilled the potatos, picked spinach, radishes and a few green onions after work yesterday until dark....Just in time.

6wheeler

I've read where some people prefer planting in the rain as long as not a downpour or lightening storm.  The soil is softer and you don't have to soak the ground after. 

Yep. That does work nice. But, pretty soon its gonna be a rice paddy if it don't dry up a little :techie-eureka:

Jim_M

I should have kept my mouth shut, we got dumped on last night. I went to check the rain gauge this morning and it was broken. Damn squirrels. I'm guessing we got at least 3 inches, maybe more, there's a lot of flooding according to the news people.

rick

I finally got it planted@ two weeks ago, but after my son in law told me he was tired of worrying about the garden and wasn't interested any more. More room for me to plant!

Thank the Lord, everything seems to have come up in about a week, including the okra that I forgot to soak first. haven't lost a tomato or pepper plant yet, either. Last weekend I planted some lima beans, my wifes favorite, and saw bulges in the rows as I was on the way to Granddaughter's last regular ball game. Closing ceremonies on Saturday, then maybe  All Stars games.... so much to do, so little time LOL

Jim_M

It's been a good growing season so far. Everything comes up quick and grows great.

rick

Had a good garden after all, thank the Lord. Okra and tomatoes about done, everything else tilled under. Cabbage, collard and broccoli plants in the ground.

redidbull

I still have a lot of green tomatoes. They were late this year. Cukes, lettuce done a while ago. I tried potatoes in a barrel this year. Today at 5, after fall arrives I am going to harvest them Pix later. Jim