Sign in to follow this  
nylyon

The C-160 becomes a worker today

nylyon

Enough of the C-160 sitting looking pretty.  Today starts its first day as a worker (pictures later).  After a trip to get some mower belts, battery and some oil, it will be equipped with a 42" RD Recycler (recently acquired from Stevebo) and it will start to earn its keep.  The tractor has been sitting in the shed, for quite some time, only to be taken out occasionally for a joy ride.  Well over the winter the unspeakable happened.  Something dropped from the overhead storage and dented the hood and took off some of the brilliant paint.  It's heartbreaking, but enough to make the tractor earn it's keep.

So...  while it's still an outstanding machine, it will need some work.  I never did fix the leaking lift cylinder, and I think that I just want to replace it.  I saw a couple for sale for other models, does anyone know if a cylinder from say a 520 or 175 would work on the C-160's?  Love to get a newer rebuildable type.

fireman

Karl,

That old Wheel Horse dealer I think I told you about up Route 22 has some NOS lift cylinders.

Tankman

Make no mistake, the Horse will be delighted to work for a living. The Stallion will handle any chore you throw at it with ease!

Stock up on carrots! :smile:

nylyon

Karl,

That old Wheel Horse dealer I think I told you about up Route 22 has some NOS lift cylinders.

I'll have to give him a call!

Ok, so here she is decked out in her work attire. I've already taken one trip around the lawn, the deck cuts nice, and I haven't even sharpened the blades yet!  Yes, I know dirty!

post-5-0-32128900-1368887121_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-53754100-1368887126_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

nylyon

It's so cool to run 3 horses to mow the lawn.  I can only wonder what the neighbors think!

• Like 2

nylyon

Bought a new battery, and it's already shot!  Shows 12V on the meter, turn the key on and it shows .3V

Sparky

It's so cool to run 3 horses to mow the lawn.  I can only wonder what the neighbors think!

Well if I was the neighbor on one side, and Tony (docwheelhorse) was the neighbor on the other side we would think your weird for not running 4 Wheel Horse's!!

:ychain:

Mike.....

• Haha 1

stevebo

Looking good Karl !! That deck is a nice little unit for sure. Looks just right under that machine..

nylyon

The deck is really nice Steve, Brittany was out mowing for about 2 hours!  I'm looking to get some of the belt guards, until then though, she needs to be very careful, but the C-160 has pretty wide foot boards.  It needs to be adjusted, but just couldn't wait to get the deck on there and running!

Tankman

Neighbors think, "He's nuts! Did he get a 'new' tractor? His other 'mower' was working."

Lately I've been using the 520-8. Like the power and ride. Grandsons want (need) wagon rides too!

In the past I have taken turns using other Horses (neighbors don't see in my barn) for mowing. All they do is look and scratch their heads?

I like watchin' the strugglin' neighbors and their wimperin' Murray's or MTD's (whatever). Ugh! :smile:

They're always fixin' this 'n that on their BIG BOX riders too!

groundhog47

Karl, Very nice unit :bow-blue:

CasualObserver

You picked it up on May 10, 2008.  Almost 5 years to the day before you put her back to work!

Since this was long before a lot of our current active members....I went back and found a few topics of your C-160's story....  unfortunately the "as found" and "reveal" pics from Eldon are gone.....

fourwheels0

don't take this the wrong way but it's about time that tractor started getting used.

5 yrs you've had it?.

i'm sorry but i hate to see things sit and be used for decoration when they were meant to be used and get dirty.

use it,clean it,maintain it and you'll enjoy much,much more.

now go get it dirty lol

• Like 1

Wishin4a416

That is a Fine looking 160!! But I dont blame you for working it. Thats why they were made.

bob393

That is a Fine looking 160!! But I dont blame you for working it. Thats why they were made.

Amen to that!

nylyon

Well, it hadn't sat completely unused.  It was in use as a recreational tractor for the kids to drive around on, granted it did no work, but it was running and being used.  NOW, it's working, the same kids are driving around on it, but it's cutting grass now!

leeave96

Karl,

Ok, so here she is decked out in her work attire. I've already taken one trip around the lawn, the deck cuts nice, and I haven't even sharpened the blades yet!  Yes, I know dirty!

attachicon.gif2013-05-18_10-17-55_825.jpg

attachicon.gif2013-05-18_10-18-03_788.jpg

Nice looking tractor!  Looks like the tractor in the background has a RD deck too.  Are these RD decks your favorite?

Good luck,

Bill

nylyon

The tractor in the background is my 1994 416-H.  When I bought it, I had just bought my house.  I wanted to go with as little maintenance as I could, so I ordered it with the 42" Recycler Deck.  Well, the dealer didn't have a "true" recycler deck, so he sold me the 42" RD and had the recycler delivered to my house.  In hindsight, I should have gone with the 48", but I do like the RD with taller / wetter grass.

Wheel-N-It

Thats one fine looking Horse. Karl you made a good decision to get that thing out and put it to working. I would love to make a few passes with it around my place.

47JDG

Karl,

attachicon.gif2013-05-18_10-17-55_825.jpg

attachicon.gif2013-05-18_10-18-03_788.jpg

Dirty? I hope your joking! That looks like a real nice and clean C-160 to me. Deck looks great but seems a little small in my opinion for that big Kohler 16 one lunger. I had a 48" on mine and it handled that like it wanted a bigger one. The C-160 is a real worker..You have a very nice tractor!

nylyon

The original deck is a 36" RD, which remains unfinished in my garage.  I would like to get that deck together this year, as it would make a nice finish mower for the fleet.  I received the front mule drive knobs from Glen Pettit, and the deck belt guards from Duane (baerpath) (thank you both!) which I hope to get installed if this rain stops.

By the way, if any of you are running around with broken mule drive adjuster knobs, why aren't you getting a NEW one from Glen?  The new knob comes complete with everything you need to put it on, and is outstanding in quality as is everything that he makes.

• Like 1

Ken B

Nice to see you are putting the 160 to work Karl. It sure is a nice one. Pretty amazing how a 16 hp tractor would come with a dinky 36 inch deck originally while my little RJ 58 came with a 32 inch with its 4 hp!

47JDG

Did it really originally come with a 36" RD deck? That just seems ridiculous to me, and very inefficient given the power, ability, and fuel consumption of the C-160. I have a 36" RD on my C-81 and it does seem to be an ideal mowing deck for that tractor with the 8 horse...but a C-160 is a completely different animal. :)

DOC in Kentucky

Man, I can't believe that's been 5 years ago already. This forum has pretty much stayed the same with a lot of the same guys. But I do miss Eldon and all of his awesome refurbing  pics, but I guess life goes on!!! Who would of ever guessed that this forum would ever be this big and  have so many new members but also a lot of the original members still posting!!! Oh well, looking forward to seeing what the show is like this year and getting a copy of Mike's updated book!