Sign in to follow this  
Save Old Iron

How To - Test a Diode

Save Old Iron

Please note the position of the "band" on the diode and what color lead (positive / red or negative / black) is connected banded lead of the diode. Diodes are the equivalent of check valves in the world of plumbing or hydraulics. Current should only flow in one direction thru the diode. Current flow should be present when the negative / black lead of the multimeter is connected to the banded lead of the diode and the positive / red lead is connected to the opposite lead. 

(click on image to enlarge)

diodetesting_zpsfb82f8c3.gif

The diagram below shows a defective diode that has an internal short circuit in the body of the diode. The diode no longer has a "one way" characteristic and acts as if it were a piece of wire - current will flow in either direction thru the shorted diode so meter lead orientation makes shows no difference. In the world of plumbing or hydraulics, the check valve would be "stuck open".

diodetestingshorted_zpsca06286e.gif

The defective diode below is the equivalent of a burned out fuse. No current can flow thru the diode in either direction. The meter readings show a high resistance to current flow in either lead orientation. The hydraulic equivalent would be a check valve was "stuck closed".

diodetestingopen_zps50f158bd.gif

• Like 1

Tinhorse

Just think of a diode as a one way check valve for the flow of electrons.

Thunderlizard

Great post!  and to add...

...which is why LED's are polarized (only work when hooked in correct polarity). ( Light Emitting Diodes. :-)  )

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• BrianStasC-101
      By BrianStasC-101
      Hello all. I am looking for suggestions on adapting the pto from my C series tractor to a harbor freight predator 420 13hp engine. I know the predator motors are a controversial topic however it is the route I have chosen for this particular machine. The intent was to mostly use it for plowing so no PTO required but it would be handy to have. Looking to hear from someone that has successfully done the swap that may offer any advice before I attempt to transfer it over. Just looking for any general pointers that will help me along the way to make it go as smoothly as possible. 
    • HumbleHans
      By HumbleHans
      Operator manual 810343R1
      Wiring
      34 pages 17.5MB

Wiring Colored 
      1 page 228KB

1984 C-105 8-Speed model 11-10K802
      1984 C-125 8-Speed model 11-12K802
      1984 C-145 Automatic model 11-14KE01 - Some used alternate inner axle bearing See PSB #369
      1984 C-165 8-Speed model 11-16K801
      1984 C-175 Twin Automatic model 11-17KE01 - Some used alternate inner axle bearing See PSB #369
      1984 C-195 Twin Automatic model 01-19KE02

• t_furl43
      By t_furl43
      1979 c-101 nice project tractor just needs a few odds and ends, steering wheel, coil, carburetor bowl, the wiring was redone by previous owner....all 4 tires are good and hold air it goes into all gears no problem, transmission fluid has been changed, 10hp Kohler, message me or call or txt with any questions, it does run and runs well,  it’s been kept inside since I’ve had it, I would also trade for a mid mount grader blade thanks 

92DB561C-FF95-4868-A52B-5725D4D3B9DE.mp4
    • BrianKoch
      By BrianKoch
      Hello gentleman, 

Problem: will not crank on its own, will crank with jump box—but still not fire

Recent things I did prior to this issue: cleaned fuel filter, replaced battery cables, replaced cable from ignition to starter

I have my test light out and am probing around. 

There is no power at ignition/magneto wire or the ignition/starter wire

There is power everywhere else

• Jeff-C175
      By Jeff-C175
      Detailed wiring from the Demystification Guide #492-4509
      4 pages 1.4MB Color
      p7-67 to p7-70

Onan powered

1989 416-8 model 31-16O801