Sign in to follow this  
Save Old Iron

How To - Test a Diode

Please note the position of the "band" on the diode and what color lead (positive / red or negative / black) is connected banded lead of the diode. Diodes are the equivalent of check valves in the world of plumbing or hydraulics. Current should only flow in one direction thru the diode. Current flow should be present when the negative / black lead of the multimeter is connected to the banded lead of the diode and the positive / red lead is connected to the opposite lead. 

(click on image to enlarge)

diodetesting_zpsfb82f8c3.gif

The diagram below shows a defective diode that has an internal short circuit in the body of the diode. The diode no longer has a "one way" characteristic and acts as if it were a piece of wire - current will flow in either direction thru the shorted diode so meter lead orientation makes shows no difference. In the world of plumbing or hydraulics, the check valve would be "stuck open".

diodetestingshorted_zpsca06286e.gif

The defective diode below is the equivalent of a burned out fuse. No current can flow thru the diode in either direction. The meter readings show a high resistance to current flow in either lead orientation. The hydraulic equivalent would be a check valve was "stuck closed".

diodetestingopen_zps50f158bd.gif

• Like 1

Just think of a diode as a one way check valve for the flow of electrons.

Great post!  and to add...

...which is why LED's are polarized (only work when hooked in correct polarity). ( Light Emitting Diodes. :-)  )

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By lak1965
      Like many others on this site I decided Sunday it was time to install the New / Used Cab I bought in spring with the help of my brother. I never had it installed so was not sure what I was in for but it was assembled when I received it. First Picture was install rear frame under seat. It was at this point I went to RedSquare and downloaded the manual and printed it out for reference.

Next install front of frame. Had to remove some brackets that mounted to the dash and drill a hole one each side of foot boards to mount the inside brace. That is a forward swept axle and tires you see sitting in the shed. Next spring project to mount that on the old C-160. Also I will change the way the lights are mounted on the hardtop.

And finally the finished product. I was surprised at how well it fit and how easy it was to install. Let it Snow, Let it snow , Let it snow!

• By Keith
      What other models can I use the upper steering shaft for my C-120?   

Are there aftermarket steering wheels for this tractor?
    • By Keith
      C-120 upper steering shaft wanted

I believe this is 
      # 104887 or 92-4987 
    • By Fun Engineer
      Has anyone been successful mating a D series mid grader blade to a c-series?
    • By Row Cropper
      Very good condition 48" Wheel Horse mower deck. Freshly serviced, repaired & renovated ready for use. Underside of the deck was cleaned to bright metal then coated with 2 coats of "Easy Slide" graphite paint to protect the metal and reduce grass sticking. Blades are sharpened, all gauge wheel axles greased, spindles greased. One patch was needed near the discharge chute (see photos of top-side patch and bottom-side patch. Top side was painted to cover bare spots where paint was missing and to Match the patch to the rest of the deck. This paint job is not a show paint job, but one to preserve the metal after all rust was removed. Overall this deck is very solid and should give many more years of service if cared for properly! The price will go up in the spring, so don't wait, these decks are getting harder to find as time goes by! Mule drive is included. 
      If interested, PM me for complete album of photos.