posifour11

height of a 701?

posifour11

I made a deal for my first round hood. I'll be picking it up next week and was wondering if it was short enough to fit in my pickup under the camper shell.

Any ideas?

stevebo

I would think that if you need to you can pull the front and/or rear wheels and it should fit. I do not have the measurements right now. If nobody else helps you with them, send me a pm and I can measure for you tomorrow.

rydogg

I just measured my 701 and it is 36 inches tall at its highest point which is the steering wheel.

bowtieguy

The answer is NO..........but it will fit in mine!!!.....i thought I got all the round noses in your neighborhood?????

• Like 1

squonk

I used to have a Chevy Colorado with a cap and if I removed the steering wheel on my 704 it would just fit.

posifour11

Thanks guys. I have a mini truck and I only have 30 inches to work with. Guess I'll take the shell off. Not a huge deal.

And Frank, this one is way out in KS. Three hours one way.

VinsRJ

Thanks guys. I have a mini truck and I only have 30 inches to work with. Guess I'll take the shell off. Not a huge deal.

And Frank, this one is way out in KS. Three hours one way.

Like Steve said just rank the front wheels or back wheels off... should slide right in.

• Like 1

posifour11

Alright. I trust you guys. I'll take tools with me.

posifour11

Going to pick it up tomorrow. What size are the bolts for front and rear tires?

Jake Kuhn

Rears come off with a 5/8 socket. Fronts are held on with a snap ring or either a 9/16 socket.

• Like 1

posifour11

Thanks Jake. I'll be sure to take the right tools.

bowtieguy

Remember....they still shoot horse thieves in KS....if you make it back alive then by law you have to check in with border patrol (KS/MO) and I'll check you for proper permits.....be aware that any suspicious cargo is subject to be held as evidence

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!

• Like 1

posifour11

How about I promise you a picture and maybe a ride if I take it to Adrian?

• Like 1

posifour11

She made it home. It needs work, but I have a round hood!

I got the front wheels with it, but they need work to hold air.

IMG_20130522_155057_139.jpg

IMG_20130522_155109_101.jpg

IMG_20130522_155043_902.jpg

IMG_20130522_155132_416.jpg

• Like 3

AMC RULES

Nice score. Did the engine come with it?    :handgestures-thumbsup: 

posifour11

Sadly, no engine. He tossed it because it had a broken rod. :( I have an old Clinton I hope to get running to put on it.

• Like 1

Jake Kuhn

Looks pretty nice! Does it have the plastic dash like most 701's had or a newer style dash?

• Like 1

rydogg

Looks pretty nice! Does it have the plastic dash like most 701's had or a newer style dash?

Check out the third picture...it looks like someone put on a 702 dash.

rydogg

Looks like a good little restoration project.  If you get near Minnesota I have a couple 7hp k161 kohlers I will probably part with at least one of them I could ship but the cost is a little crazy for these cast iron engines.  Blue engine pictured below would be great for a 701 since it has the double pulley starter setup.

wheelhorse088-1.jpg

• Like 1

Kevbo

Wow! The paint looks really nice on that! Is that original?

posifour11

Jake, It has a wood grain dash. Don't know what they came with.

Ryan, I'll have to save my nickels to get one that pretty.

Kevin, not original paint. PO painted it. A ten footer at best. Hammer marks and such with dust in the paint. Hopefully, I can restore it to its former glory.

posifour11

I was wrong. The dash is cast metal covered in a white sticker with black grid lines.

rydogg

I was wrong. The dash is cast metal covered in a white sticker with black grid lines.

It is held on with 4 screws and was used in 1962 on 502 552 702 and lawn ranger.  You can order the correct 701 dash from the vendors section and put it on in place of the cast one also the correct split key ignition switch can be found on ebay they were used on massey tractors to20 to30 etc, the push button starter switch on mine is from a snapper rear engine rider, and the correct looking throttle and choke cables can be found on ebay they were used in early Jeeps.

Here is a picture of the one I ordered from ebay for around $20 to my door.

wheelhorse091.jpg

• Like 1

posifour11

Maybe I should check it over some more tomorrow. It doesn't have the belt guard and I took his word that it was a 701. Didn't even look for a tag.

rydogg

A few observations....hood is from a 701, foot pads 701 also, the shifter with the extra bend was used in 1962 since the 702 had the option for a hy2 hydraulic lift pump therefor they had an extra bend to fit the pump, mower deck is 701 since the wheels are "hidden" within the deck.  A lot of parts from the 701 and 702 are the same such as the front axle, gas tank is 1 piece with a bolted on cover, clutch/brake pedal is smaller and more rounded than the 1963 and up models.  I believe you have a 702 with some 701 parts on it or the other way around. 

Here is a picture of mine you can see that the shifter has only on bend.

wheelhorse011-2.jpg

• Like 1