Sign in to follow this  
Wheelhorse860

Restoring the D180

Wheelhorse860

Hi

Just started to sand down the d180, preppin it for new paintt. im hand sanding the thinner metal, but do you guys think that sandblasting the thickermetal will be fine? thanks. also would pay somone to completely rewire the tractor, all wiring works, just messy messy messy. wires are old and cracked to. thanks much, austin. PICS WILL BE UP SOON!

pacer

I am just finishing a 1054 and I would not EVEN have considered tackling it without sand (media) blasting. I have the 2 HF blast cabinets - small and large - small one with Black Diamond, and the larger with a glass bead type media for the pieces that will go in the cabinets. For the large pieces I have one of those cheapo vacuum guns that you just stick a hose in a bucket of media and go at it - I get out in the yard for this, I lose the media, Black Diamond fine grit $7.99/50lbs at TSC, but I figure thats cheap enough for the convenience of seeing that old paint and rust just disappear. I then wipe the parts down with a phosphoric acid solution to retard further rust then prime, bondo, weld cracks, etc and paint.

I blast at about 90-100psi, which is crowding thin sheet metal, but the hood, fenders on mine survived it unscathed. You sure got to have a good sized compressor to blast and keep up with it.

Whatever you use, it is a LOT of work! but, hey I love it!

Wheelhorse860

how much would a small sandblasting booth cost? might be interested in buying one...

pacer

The cabinet I have is from Harbor Freight - is almost always on sale at $200 - $210 and with their always available 20% off coupons it comes down to a very good buy --

http://www.harborfreight.com/40-lb-capacity-floor-blast-cabinet-68893.html

They have a smaller cabinet at about $120, but in my opinion it is not near the quality of the larger one. I bought it first and was disappointed in it and went back and got the floor model - much better! I relegated the smaller cabinet to use the Black Diamond media, I dont use it as much as the glass bead type media,

The 'outdoor' set-up I use is this type gun...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-Sand-Blasting-Sandblasting-Gun-Kit-Blaster-Tool-/370813509764?pt=Sanders_Sandblasters&hash=item5656352084

Wheelhorse860

ok, thanks

JamesBe1

Looking forward to the pics.

I sandblast my parts whenever feasible.  I got a barrel-blaster: http://www.barrelblaster.com/  They cost more, but I have a bias for made in usa.  The black diamond stuff from TSC is pretty good.  Don't forget to screen it or you will be unclogging it every five minutes.  That was a hard lesson to learn. :banghead:

Also, for the larger pieces, I hang some sheets of plastic and tape them to the floor (gorilla tape), and use a siphon blaster and just sweep it up and reuse it.  If you do it outside, it tends to go all over the place.

Oh yeah, you will need a good sized compressor to do any blasting.  I do my blasting about 100 - 110, and my 35 gallon blaster runs low after about four or five minutes.  Not sure what the typical GPM is for blasting, maybe some of the more experienced members can chime in.

Wheelhorse860

haha, maybe someone near me would be interested in doing some sand blasting for me, hmmmmmm. any takers? got cash

JamesBe1

You could also consider making an etank to electrolytically derust stuff.  It's very cheap and easy.  Lots of threads here and on the internet about it.

• Like 1

Wheelhorse860

does it get paint off? and i dont think itll work for big parts

Wheelhorse860

classifieds-9847-0-32077400-1366645720_m

JamesBe1

does it get paint off? and i dont think itll work for big parts

Yes, but removing paint is just a secondary effect of soaking it the tub.  Elecrolytic derusting is not as effective in getting paint off as sandblasting.  Still, I put stuff in my tank, paint and all, and let it sit for a week or two, and the paint comes off easily.

Wheelhorse860

ok, thanks

Kevbo

I have a e-tank in my basement and it has done a pretty good job on my mower deck parts! I will be attempting to use it for my first tractor restore soon.