Sign in to follow this  
ScottBurner

1968 Commando 8 from Finland

ScottBurner

Hello,

New member from Finland.

I have been thinking about fixing my grandfathers old Commano 8, so that's how I found this forum.

IMG_8237_zpsad5a538e.jpg

IMG_8238_zpsb6dfef84.jpg

IMG_8243_zps88f9b5d9.jpg

It hasn't been used for about 20-25 years. It is dirty and a bit rusty but I think all parts are still in place...

• Like 2

JimmyJam

:text-welcomewave: to Red Square!!!! Nice looking Commando 8! You will find tons of information here as well as plenty of people to help you out.

rmaynard

:WRS:  Glad to have you aboard. That's a nice Commando 8. Looks great for the age, and all original (except maybe the muffler). :thumbs:

ScottBurner

Thanks Guys!

I noticed from pictures that original muffler shorter and round.

I think my next agenda is to find out the condition of the engine. It has been stored in a shed in sea climate, so there is

a chance that cylinder and piston might be rusty.

Is there a way to find out that without taking the engine apart?

Take the sparkplug out and try to peek in?

gwest_ca

Interested in knowing what is on your ID plate below the dash housing in the last picture. And was it made in Belgium or USA?

Garry

ScottBurner

Here is a picture of the ID plate:

IMG_8241_zps2fd9b532.jpg

Engine was K181S, S meaning electric start?

AMC RULES

:WRS: 

Your tractor info...from the model list here on the forum... 

1-4831 1968 Lawn & Garden Tractor Commando 8 4-Speed Kohler K181S-30108D 8 Wheel Horse 5053

Looks like your Grandfather's Commando left the factory in :flags-waveusa:, then shipped to Finland at some point.  

Sparky

Looks like it was well taken care of and is a great candidate to do a resto on.

:WRS:

Mike.............

B-100 Dan

Welcome to Red Square, and I agree that is a very nice looking tractor when you consider its age.  If you think it might be rusty inside cylinder, I would try to turn motor over just a little by hand each way.  if it moves maybe a little lube oil in cylinder, as it may be dry, just a little though.  If you have spark, put fresh fuel in it, and I'll bet it will fire right up.  Good luck, that is a nice find.

ScottBurner

Thank you all!

This forum was a great find with all the information you have put together.

I spent couple of hours yesterday reading restoration threads, they are excellent. I was also happy to notice that there are lots of parts available for these old things.

Reading the manuals, I was suprised how many attachable things were available. Like lawnmower, snowplow and all other things you might need in a garder or on a field.

We have a cutterthingy (need to find correct name for it) that is mounted in front of the tractor. I believe it is for cutting long hay.

Then we also have trailer. Forgot to take pictures of it...

Stigian

Hi Scott?, Good to have another Euro-member aboard.. welcome to the madhouse :D

Your Commando 8 looks in great condition for all those years storage.. That's an interesting exhaust set-up, wonder what it sounds like!!

I'm with B-100 Dan about your engine.. I'd take the spark plug out, squirt a bit of oil down the bore and see if the engine turns over by hand.

wh1257

nice looking tractor and welcome to redsqaure  it looks like a pretty orginal tractor

gwest_ca

Here is a picture of the ID plate:

Engine was K181S, S meaning electric sIMG_8241_zps2fd9b532.jpgtart?

That is the highest serial for a 1-4831 of the 27 recorded so far. One of those was made in Belgium so suspect it was later than yours and possibly a 1969 model.

Manual

Garry

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Where are the serial numbers being recorded? 

Anglo Traction

Hi and :text-welcomewave: to RS . Great to see a Commando 8 in such good unmolested condition and to the proper Spec. Look's like you have done your Homework on finding Information on it. 

Plenty of experts on here if you need any guidance. I think many here will agree that from your pictures, the paintwork look's like it will scrub up nicely. Your Grandfather obviously took great care of it . My guess is that the Engine will also be good. Sounds like you have some good attachments too.

Look forward to more pics.

Regards.     

wheeledhorseman

Welcome to :rs: it's always good to have another Euro member join us.

That's a great looking tractor you've got there and I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't too dificult to get it running again despite all the years that it has been in storgage. Be warned though - it all begins with one Wheel Horse, then you just have to get another, and another!

Andy

meadowfield

Thats fab, welcome to the forum!

gwest_ca

Where are the serial numbers being recorded? 

They are in a Database Table in the 1st Yahoo Manuals Group

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wheelhorsetractormanuals/

Don't know how long it will last because not long ago Yahoo stated that each table can have a maximum of 1000 lines. This one is at 5040 now and growing. If you have not used one of these tables before first take a look at a text file in the Files explaining how you can use it.

A set of instructions for using a Database Table

Sort by the column of your choice and click on "Printable Report". All 5040 lines will open on one page so you can quickly scroll through it.

Garry

Stormin

'Ow do and welcome Scott. Nice little tractor and lucky man to have a trailer and cutter bar as well. :thumbs:

pmackellow

Welcome to the forum Scott, thats a nice Commando 8, I have got a Belgian built one here in the UK... :)

squonk

Love the Muffler! :thumbs: WHOOOMBAH!! :):bow-blue:

ScottBurner

Thanks for the comments.

Tractor is at my uncles place and I haven't been there for a while. Hope to get there in a week or two.

Kohler manual says sparkplug is Champion RJ8C. I guess this is old type and might not be available. Any recommendations for a new sparkplug?

ScottBurner

Got to the Horse this weekend.

Engine turns by hand so I borrowed battery from a lawnmower. Tried to start with startermotor, that works also.

Sparkplug gives a spark.

Fueltank had some old fuel in it, smelled and looked funny. There was also some dirt in the tank so I emptied it.

Fuel line didn't look good so gonna replace that.

The drivebelt (?) from engine to gearbox is looking very dry and cracked. If I get the engine running, I think I'll try to get a belt

from local machineshop.

Pics of trailer and cutterbar coming soon...

ScottBurner

Didn't start... :sad:

• Cleaned fueltank

• Changed fuelline

• Added fuelfilter

• Fresh fuel

IMG_8370_zps1e5a3ea9.jpg

I think problem might be fuel pump, should test that next. Are there spares availble for that?

Hood off

IMG_8373_zps122dff2d.jpg

Carb close-up

IMG_8372_zpsb6f9b1fe.jpg

IMG_8375_zps53e558ab.jpg

Carburator serial no.

IMG_8374_zps3dc85afb.jpg

Scary cutterbar

IMG_8380_zps2a5589bb.jpg

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Have you cleaned out the fuel bowl on the carb yet? 

Try starting it using a small spray of starting fluid, or carb cleaner directly into the carb opening...

see what happens.    :handgestures-thumbsup: