Sign in to follow this  
perry

scrapping cars with garden tractor

perry

got 4 cars and a boat to get out of this property. these are close enough to my house i can drive the tractor to them. it's going to be a work out for the Allis B-110 on these. the cars are 1000' off the road in a swampy area. i already pulled the boat out to the road. and will get the rest over the next few weeks. ill get more pics and video as i go.

cars014_zps4afb3f75.jpg

cars016_zps9afecc0f.jpg

cars027_zpsa752d4f9.jpg

cars028_zpsf224aa3b.jpg

cars029_zps44e9d79c.jpg

01cars002_zpsce7d250b.jpg

cars030_zps567226f0.jpg

posifour11

The corvair gods are cursing you.

perry

The corvair gods are cursing you.

No , cursing the guy that left them in the swamp to rot.

the parts will be scattered on evil bay and bodys scrapped.  

bowtieguy

You might have to get the ole WH tractor out  for that rag-top....not saying the ole AC can't do but ....just sayin'.. :auto-dirtbike:  :auto-camptrailer:  :auto-car:

Ken B

All things considered the Corvairs don't look too bad! I'll bet the frames are Swiss cheese though. My brother loves them Corvairs, he just sold one of his and I'll bet sooner or later he'll buy another....

VinsRJ

I love Corvairs... 64 Spyder is my personal favorite!

perry

the white corvair has monza on the side. would that make it a spyder ? 

01cars005_zps63662a95.jpg

01cars003_zps32c6e667.jpg

01cars004_zps1ca06608.jpg

perry

You might have to get the ole WH tractor out  for that rag-top....not saying the ole AC can't do but ....just sayin'.. :auto-dirtbike:  :auto-camptrailer:  :auto-car:

none of my WH tractors i have ever owed would pull these cars out. the one wheel wonder rearend is the downfall. maybe a 520 series but i have never owned or driven one. the allis is just a little 10hp.

The ground is real soft out there. I got the red corvair to move some yesterday but it hit a stump. it has two flat tires and sitting in the soft black swamp dirt. it was pushed in there 3 yrs ago with a front loader tractor. there is chunks of concrete in the dirt also the car is sitting on. it's going to be a challenge to get that one out.

perry

hey Ken B , i know your a vintage boat guy. I have been trying to find some info on this old kiekhaefer mercury 135hp engine. i have found mixed reviews on old boat engines. some say they are not worth anything but scrap . should i try and sell this whole or do you think parts are in demand ?.

The boat trailer is pretty nice. it has coil springs and shocks on it. the boat is a check mate brand.

cars020_zps3de25978.jpg

cars019_zpse68fef8d.jpg

cars021_zps91e18007.jpg

cars018_zpsba5d63ff.jpg

stevasaurus

I'm curious to see what Ken says about that engine also, Perry.  I think you could determine the year with the model and serial number off it.  It looks like one from the 70's to me (guess).  One of the reasons some of the Mercs are not wanted, is the special tools needed to work on them.  Have to see what Ken says. :)

The Corvairs are really cool...really junk...but a good glimpse of the past. :bow-blue:

squonk

I had a 67 "Turbo-Air" 110 HP Vair with a Powerglide. Went like hell but really needed another gear! :auto-car::auto-swerve::auto-layrubber:

KC9KAS

I love Corvairs

So did Ralph Nader....Oh, wait, he is the reason Chevrolet quit making them and every automobile made after Corvair had a door latch called.......The Nader Pin.

Coadster32

Isn't the red car a spitfire? There's a local shop here that does nothing but them.

Ken B

Without knowing the model numbers it is a little hard to nail the exact yr down, BUT, Mercury dropped the name Kiekhaefer on their engines in the very early 70's. Instead of saying Kiekhaefer Mercury on their motors it was changed to Mercury Marine. Its hard for me to tell if you have any red anodizing on the chrome work of your motor but if you do and it says Kiekhaefer Mercury then you have a late 60's very early 70's motor. In my opinion a real good motor.

The motor you have actually looks pretty nice for having spent some time in the woods.  Things to check are good even compression on all 6 cylinders. if my memory is correct 135 pounds compression is a decent number. Check the wiring, Mercs are known to have problems with brittle wiring in these yrs. Pull the plug on the lower unit and get a look at what the gear lube looks like. If its dirty that is ok, if its empty or has metal filings or water in it, not so good. If it has spark then that is a great thing.  If you can determine that these things are at least decent then this motor has a chance of running again with a little bit of work and that will make it more valuable as a complete motor. Parting it out won't bring in too much money.

I love Mercs. It is usually the guy that doesn't know what he is doing that will call them a piece of crap. Yes, they are often more challenging to work on and you often do need special tools to work on them, they are not for the everyday Joe.  Back in the day that was a bad ass little speed boat you have there.! If I lived closer I'd probably take it of your hands and make it proud again. I have video somewhere of me running my friends Merc 135 somewhere on a very similar style boat.

• Like 1

VinsRJ

the white corvair has monza on the side. would that make it a spyder ?

The Spider edition started I beleive in 1962 and ran through 1964. It had special badging on the lower front fender and dash... the real special point though was the blow through carb/turbo set up... it was the fist production turbo design I believe for Chevy...

Now who knows the first fuel injected (electronic) Chevy was?

. Cosworth.... what? :eusa-think: (I actulally owned one of thses and can say its the only car I regret on selling!)

squonk

Cosworth Vega'!! :scared-eek: :scared-eek: :jaw: :jaw:

• Like 1

perry

Without knowing the model numbers it is a little hard to nail the exact yr down, BUT, Mercury dropped the name Kiekhaefer on their engines in the very early 70's.

Thanks ken for th info. not sure i am going to get to involved with this engine. might try and sell the boat and all . but i kinda like the tralier. it has coil springs and shocks. might pull the engine , scrap the boat and keep the trailer.

SALTYWRIGHT

I HAVE A CHECKMATE WITH A 175 H/P MERC. IT IS A VERY FAST AND FUN RIG. (62.8 M.P.H.) DO NOT SCRAP IT. SELL EVERY THING AS A UNIT.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

I love Corvairs

So did Ralph Nader....Oh, wait, he is the reason Chevrolet quit making them and every automobile made after Corvair had a door latch called.......The Nader Pin.

Didn't they stop production because they were "unsafe at any speed?"    :popcorn: 

perry

picture of the crazy nieghbor that got me involved in this :wacko: .

last year he cut up  a 1967 satellite , a 1960's Fiat , & a early 70's duster off the same property. he took it all to scrap. i told him he wasted alot of good parts and money. thats why i am there now . he is taking the scrap and i get what parts i can save. plus im hauling out the scrap to his van with my tractor. he hauled everything by hand last year.

the owner of the property moved out of state and took some cars with him. he had a rare right hand drive 1970's jensen car he left outside to rot. he took that.   

01cars001_zps2500ee60.jpg

puddlejumper

I had a 50 horse kiekaufer mercury of that era. On a 16 foot polarcraft it would fly. The only problems ever had with it was had to keep a additive in it to help with water in the gas. If it got 1 drop in the carb you might as well pull and clean.

perry

Todays videos . Adventures with Jimbo

GUYS, GUYS, HEY GUYS ..... :ROTF:

perry

perry

Corvair019_zps53158c40.jpg

Corvair017_zps7ae0f1aa.jpg

Corvair016_zps9e5a8f70.jpg

Corvair020_zps43bf0f58.jpg

perry